Shades Marathon Training

57,581 to 57,600 of 67,208 messages
22/10/2012 at 17:13
Well done to everyone for the weekend races. Khanivore and Emmy, you must be very pleased with the PBs.

Shades, I'm sure with the number of marathons you do, you must have good and not so good runs...but at least you got some nice cake plus must be good to run with an old friend.

Calves a bit sore today but otherwise all good. The party was definitely more exhausting than the race! Looking forward to building up my LSR gradually now over the next few weeks as nothing planned for a while. Races for 2013 include the Brighton half in feb, maybe the finchley 20 in march, the London marathon in April (yikes), BUPA 10k in may and after that who knows?!!
22/10/2012 at 17:16

@Bootsie - it's good to see that you're getting back out there!

@Mowser - that's great news! Did they also get the club record?

@Slowkoala - I'm thrilled that I managed it but already thinking about the next one!  I think the beeps on my garmin really helped (even if I hated it most of the time!)

22/10/2012 at 17:47

Khanivore - sorry xposting at lunchtime today.   Yes, to your new paces but be content to start on the slower end of the range.

bootsie - glad you are recovering and builing that mileage up slowly.   And as for Dublin prep, VR sent me a text on Saturday from an Irish bar in Barcelona so obviously getting some Guinness practice in.

mowzer - well done to you and your daughter, now an ultra runner too.   Well done to yoru clubmate, they owe you a big favour now!

Slowkoala - yes, you're right, it's not possible to have a good run every time, especially when they are fairly close together, but of course we are never satisfied!

The sore calves will ease in a day or so.

Emmy - so how much time off your PB was that?   And when is your next marathon?

22/10/2012 at 17:57

Khan - Lol already got faster times for both 10k and 10 miles. Half is unknown until 2 weeks time but 1:48 shouldn't be too hard for me.

Shades - Good to know my maths is fine before Coffee in the morning Got a 1:20 10 mile already and not too far off the other two probably. As above need to wait 2 weeks to see on half time.

Was thinking more 45 min 10k 75 min 10 mile and low 1:40's for half at work.

23/10/2012 at 07:08

Keith - that means that there's still a few marathon PB's for you to achieve

Very warm and drizzly this morning, lovely running weather

23/10/2012 at 07:13
But it's dark
23/10/2012 at 07:55

The main problem as such is when and where during the year is best for me to try dropping the PB time more. Something in late April is probably best being there is the Quad in Feb and probably Compton 40 at Easter. Windermere probably a little to bumpy for a really good time.

There is always this time of year next year ie late sept into october. Was thinking of Berlin but then there is Brussels too although no idea how flat that one is. Berlin I have done before and enjoyed.

23/10/2012 at 08:20

Hi Keith - If you want any tips about Belgium - shoot them my way: I unfortunately live here I'd go for Berlin (and not just because I'm running there too) but Brussels is notoriously hilly and it's not a pretty course. I've run the 20km of Brussels and it always surprises me how dull it all is.

It was warm for me on my recovery run but I was amazed at how slow I was Another self massage last night so i'm going to rest and see where i go from there.

@Khanivore - its only dark for a little bit

23/10/2012 at 08:40

no longer dark! Feed twins. Go for run! Adios

23/10/2012 at 08:49

@Shades - Sorry: I missed your earlier question.

This PB was 19 minutes off Thames Meander. Times so far are:

London: 5.30
Thames Meander: 5.14 (16 min PB)
Medoc: 6.30 (we'll just ignore this one...I blame the wine)
Amsterdam: 4.55 (19 min PB)

The next one is 10th Nov (Foxy@40) but I have the Great South Run this weekend with my mum. It'll be a slow one as she run/walks it.

If you don't mind (and please tell me if I'm being a cheeky bint!), can you help me plan 2013 training. As I'll have a marathon every month; i'm not sure how to handle the runs and would appreciate your advice from your wealth of knowledge. Could I send you a draft and you let me know how it should amended?

23/10/2012 at 12:46

@Shades so jealous.. will be watching on telly before flying back! Have a fab time

going for a plod in the gym tonight.. see how it goes ! Legs aching from first night back at zumba

23/10/2012 at 13:12

Khanivore - I know, but it could be cold AND dark

Keith - Lochaber is 14th April
Great Welsh 21st April
Manchester 28th April

all fast courses I believe.

or Dublin next autumn, fast course and will not be full...as they have no race limit, closing date usually end Sept

Emmy - that's a huge PB

Of course, send me a draft training plan, I'll try and look at it this week but can't promise as I have a busy week.   If you're doing a marathon a month then just one long training run per month, 18 to 22 miles will suffice, other two weekends can be step back weeks or a short race.

bootsie - if you're in Dublin you can always join us in Kennedy's after the race, will be straight off the finishing line and into the pub.   VR and two others will be having their 100th presentations there.   Will be other presentations too.

23/10/2012 at 13:18

Hi Bootsie - How was Zumba?

@Shades - I'm quite happy with it! It's nothing urgent - so whenever you have time to have a look through it and provide some feedback. It's just to know whether i'm on the right track or not.

I wish that I could be in Dublin for the presentation for VR!

I've booked my hotel for Berlin next year -so if there are any shadies interested who need a space - let me know. It was cheaper to book a 3 bed apartment than a hotel :/

23/10/2012 at 14:10

Zumba was fun but body is aching today!

Shades i'll be in cork thinking of you all!

VR.. awesome!

23/10/2012 at 15:06

Shades - thank you very very much for the plans... as Cognac marathon (my first) under three weeks away wish that I had had them three months ago!!

Will definitely be taking a more organised approach to future marathons - if I survive this one

23/10/2012 at 15:33

Thanks for sending me the plans Shades, I've scanned over and they look ideal. I kind of feel inbetween the two though! so will see where I'm up to when the 18weeks start (17th Dec). Just planning on 3or4 easy runs a week at the moment following Liverpool Marathon.

23/10/2012 at 17:47

Argh - i'm desperate for my half marathon to hurry up and BE here! I really want to get a view on what kind of marathon time I can shoot for. I ran my 'easy' pace 5 mile run this morning right in the middle of my new range, at 9:30 min/mile. It felt harder than I thought it would. I am going to stick to the slowest paces in each of my running ranges to avoid injury, as Shades advised me to.

This run also made me realise that there is no way I can run the marathon (or the half marathon) in the times the race predictor told me I could based on my 10k time. I knew that 10k was not a big enough distance to predict anyway but I was curious to see what it thought. After todays run I know it is way out!

23/10/2012 at 17:50

@Khanivore- you're certainly biting at the bit arent you? When is your half? I think for me - the times from the calculator are guides. Until you've ran it and know how you'll feel at 20/24 miles - it's hard to know.

23/10/2012 at 17:52

Shades - Irish ones are bloody expensive, although saying that Manchester is £48 too. New route for Manchester though. Great Welsh?? Not heard of that one.

23/10/2012 at 19:06
Emmy_H wrote (see)

@Khanivore- you're certainly biting at the bit arent you? When is your half? I think for me - the times from the calculator are guides. Until you've ran it and know how you'll feel at 20/24 miles - it's hard to know.

Emmy lol i am a bit OCD I think The half is on 18th November so not long to wait. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.