Shades Marathon Training

57,641 to 57,660 of 67,857 messages
29/10/2012 at 12:29

VR big congratz on the big 100!!! MASSIVE achievement!

I did my longest long slow run today. It was meant to be yesterday but i went mountain biking yesterday so did it today. 

I was running around Gateshead/Newcastle. I was meant to run 1 mile down to the tyne and ten turn right running up towards the east coast and south shields. I got very lost I ended up taking 4 miles to get to the tyne and then took a left instead of a right lol. A quick tour around the metro centre and then some random road running and I magically finished my run right outside my mother in law's house bang on 16 miles. I love running lol. I did it at 10 min/mile which was faster than I meant to I could ahve sworn i was running 10:30. Oh well I will need to be more watchful on pace. 

The other interesting thing was the fact that even though I went to the toilet just before I headed out I needed to go again 5 miles in to the run! I ended up going in to a builders merchants and begging to use their loo lol. 

29/10/2012 at 17:00

VR - 100!!!! that's an amazing achievement, well impressed

Emmy - hope your ankle is better now

Nykie - sub 4, you can! you've just got to believe you can!

Clag - what a nightmare journey (())

Shades - enjoy your Chanel bath after the mara 

Khanivore - I admire your willpower running around the Metrocentre...I'd have been straight in

I'm itching to get going again, the euphoria has worn off and I'm dying to do another a mara..I'm desperately trying to find a lift for Florence.

No race report but here's a pic....I had two friends with me for the last 5k and believe me it REALLY helped. The last km was "you can do it, you're nearly there, you are going to finish under 4hrs bla bla" and by golly did it work! i picked up speed in the last 5km. After the halfway stage I was 203rd (it was only a small marathon) by the end I was 146th.

Towards the end I got my photo taken loads of times.....thanks to my blonde friend

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/529595/gallery/f.jpg?width=350

29/10/2012 at 18:10
Great picture MM and congrats on getting less than 4 hours, that's a real achievement. Were you friends not doing the marathon then as they don't have numbers! I hope I look that relaxed at the end of my marathon.
29/10/2012 at 18:35

@MM - that's a cracking picture of you - you look like you're literally flying! How is the diet going? I wish that I could come to Florence but the cost and trying to get there is the real pain.

My ankle is ok. I've been to see the running lab and have a new pair of sauconys to add to my collection. I feel sorry for the poor lass who had to take my old pair of trainers! They werent very pleasant! My knee and ankle felt a little tender after yesterday but its ok now, i hope. I also have a bright pink pair of calf guards....

@Khanivore - well done on the run. I hate to the list the places where i've been caught short....

@Slowkoala - I agree! I'd love to look that relaxed...I normally look like i'm giving people evils!

@Macy - Shades will be back online tomorrow or the day after I think - and she'll get back to you then.

How is everyone else going? What other races do we have planned?

29/10/2012 at 20:19
Molly - you look fantastic! Well done you - you've trained really hard & put in loads of effort to get to this point. Hope I look something like that at the end of my next race!

VR - congratulations!!!! Didn't realise you'd hit the hundred! Awesome achievement!
30/10/2012 at 00:45

VR - congratulations . Hope to see you in the vest soon .

30/10/2012 at 07:14
Thank you Shadies!!

This place is where it all started! BE WARNED! Lol!

Glad your knee is better Emmy. Errrm. Pink calf guards!!!

Molly - that's a fantastic pic. So pleased for you

Another day in Dublin! Flight isn't until 9pm!
30/10/2012 at 08:36

@VR - I'm afraid that I might follow your wise words.... i've already been called 'nuts' for my race plan next year! It's good to hear that you enjoyed Dublin.

I'll post a picture of the new shoes/calf guards... I think I'm trying to emulate Mimi Anderson!

Enjoy Dublin!

30/10/2012 at 09:50

VR! congrats!!

Hope all dublin runners had a great time!

I need help! Running mojo has gone missing! going to get out at lunchtime for a nice run.. fingers crossed it revives me a bit

LIVERBIRD    pirate
30/10/2012 at 16:05

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2012/3/27/1332859267455/100-birthday-cake-008.jpg

Well done you crazy sod!

I blame Shades!

30/10/2012 at 23:54
Yes! It's all her fault!!
Had an amazing time over there!
We had lots of laughs and we both had good runs.
Thank you Shades for sharing my 100th and for being there all throughout the journey.
Looking forward to some more adventures
31/10/2012 at 07:11

Morning VR - well done again on your speedy journey to join the 100 Marathon club and I think I've almost persuaded you to join the 100 Club in Ireland too.   I'm so glad you are not going to take up cross stitch now instead of marathon running...I've just booked our rooms for Conne Ultra

Emmy - good news the ankle is on the mend.   Hope you enjoyed tracking us at Dublin, you can see from our splits we didn't stop for a Guinness on the way round.

Macy 101 - mail me your email address please, have a few emails stacked up whilst I've been away but will send plans within a couple of days

Khanivore - well done on your long run

bootsie - enter a marathon that sould get your motivation back

molly - lovely photo, you look like you're running soooo fast. I do hope you can get to Florence.

We had a brilliant weekend but have come home with a cold, so no running today.  Also came home with so much luggage, VR made me go shopping..2 new jackets, new jeans.

My next race is on the 18th November in Ireland and I entered the 52 mile ultra, which is 52 laps.    However, I'm now going to down grade to the 30 mile option having discovered that 40% of each lap is uphill....and not gentle uphill but on a par with this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3fHzFs7rAc

Better get some hill training in

31/10/2012 at 09:53

Morning Shades,

Welcome back! Did you have a good run in Dublin? I think you and VR are a bad influence on each other I've just had a look at the profile and crickey you're brave!! That looks incredibly steep! Where in Ireland is the race?

I've got a new pair of shoes and they are really helping my knee so i'm going to stick in those for the marathon next weekend. I did 5 miles this morning and it felt really nice and it wasnt too cold either.

@VR - I'm anxiously waiting on Facebook for the picture of you in "the" vest

31/10/2012 at 10:05

Welcome back Shades and VR. Good runs and a profitable weekend away

Had a great run at Preston but got very wet.

Emmy - which marathon are you doing next weekend? You're certainly packing them in now - obviously this thread is a bad influence

Molly - fantastic photo . My race photos have gradually changed over the years from looking like I'm walking to looking like I'm collapsing (and that's in the first five miles ). Definitely need to get back to the gym and do some core strength work .

31/10/2012 at 10:12

@Mowser - was that the Preston Guilds Marathon? A friend did it and said they were nearly washed out. I'm doing the Foxy@40 marathon next weekend (saturday). What is yours?

I admit - this is a great influence When others are telling me that you should only do 2 marathons a year - everyone on here says 2 marathons a week might be a little much Saying that - i'm already thinking about the quadzilla for 2014! I'm also working on my core but it's surprising how much it hurts!

31/10/2012 at 10:15
31/10/2012 at 13:24

Emmy - yes, I had a good run in Dublin, 4.51 and only slowed 5 mins in the 2nd half and a very speedy recovery so fitness is coming back (I hope).   Weather was too cold for me but hamstrings didn't complain at all so that's good news for me too.

That hill is the final hill of Connemara Half/Marathon/Ultra  Great event.

What shoes have you bought now?

I have your email, will study it ASAP but might be a few days, out tonight, Kettlecise tomorrow night etc.

VR is going for her photo shoot tonight! Not sure if she's wearing the vest for that though as it's her first claim club that are holding the press conference

mowzer - well done at Preston, I heard conditions were very tough, shame for the organisers when the even is only every 20 years.   MG DNF'd as he was ill, food poisoning he thinks, and DNS'd Dublin too.

bootsie - I'm not sure if SiJ did that event or one similar, you know it's not a marathon though don't you?

And for anyone interested there may be a 10 in 10 in Ireland next year...I won't be doing it though.

31/10/2012 at 13:38

Well done Shades! 4.51 is a fantastic time and if you only slowed by 5 mins - that's absolutely fantastic and well paced. Did you feel well throughout? It's good to hear that your hamstrings didnt affect you. Don't worry about the email - only when you have time

The shoes are Saucony Pro Grid Stabil CS 2. They seem to be settling in quite well but I'm trying to work out which shoes to wear/when as I still have a pair of Asics.

Ooh - a photoshoot? Enjoy it VR!

@Bootsie - I like it but wish it was a full marathon in one go (whoever thought that i'd say that?)

Did someone say 10 in 10?.... is it on a flat course?

31/10/2012 at 14:00

lol Yes shades I know but going on my injury rate and all the bad stuff that keeps happening in my marathon training i'm starting to doubt my bodys ability.. Dont think  I have the orthotics perfect yet and have a feeling my foot might blow again in doing a full.. still who knows!

31/10/2012 at 16:33

Hi - To all of those who know me.  I have tried a running comeback.  Run #1, 1 mile.  No problems.  2 days later, Run #2.  Ankle pain after 1½ miles, and not on the ankle that was operated on.  The operated ankle was fine by the way. 

I know this other ankle is dodgy.  It has been injured a number of times, most severely in a fell running accident (my one and only attempt at it) about 5 years ago.

So, it looks like running is finally over.  I had to find out though.  Consoled myself with a ride on the bike last night.  In the dark.  Yes, I have lights.    I remember when I used to be able to run sub-2 hour half-marathons without trying!  Long time ago.

I can still umpire hockey, where I cover between 3-6 miles in a game, but my dodgy ankles are safely enclosed in ankle braces.  And of course I have the bike.

I don't think I would be able to get on with ankle braces for "real" running, as they would cause blisters and chafing, although I may have a little experiment with this. 

Take care Shadies.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.