Shades Marathon Training

57,661 to 57,680 of 67,853 messages
31/10/2012 at 16:38

Emmy - yes I did feel good most of the way round Dublin, haven't had a chance to check my mile splits yet but I had a good strong run from about 17 to 22 miles and overtook a lot of runners then.

Don't know if the 10 in 10 in Ireland is flat, I'll let you know when there's more info

bootsie - looks a lovely event but racing on consecutive days might not be a good idea if you want to avoid injury, I know you give it your all when racing.

31/10/2012 at 20:35
Sorry to hear you're still having problems with running Mr Bump. Good that you can still ride your bike and do your umpiring. I guess that's some consolation. Take care of yourself whatever you do!
01/11/2012 at 06:38

Mr Bump - xpost yesterday.   Sorry to hear that you've had to hang up the trainers.  But you tried and you know now you can focus on your other interests.   You've run some very good times in your races.   You went through so much with that ankle even before the operation, then a long rehabilitation and that has been a success.

Of course you are still very welcome on this thread

Went out for a lovely meal last night, was late home but didn't need to get up early as I have a cold so am unable to run, no Kettlecise today for me either

01/11/2012 at 06:55

Got my email from Berlin with a code to enter for a €60 place, will do that at the weekend

01/11/2012 at 08:43

well the races i'm definitely doing are brighton half and the ballycotton 10 so will gear up for them and see what else happens after that.  Might be worth seeing how my foot holds through that lot of training before signing up for anything longer

01/11/2012 at 13:32

feel slightly like i'm dying! Our company is doing a running club, run by Shireen Bailey (was in the olympics) and boy does she make us work.  Did a lunchtime interval session today and have come back to my desk shaking! Kinda enjoyed it in a sick way!

01/11/2012 at 14:51
Bootsie see you at Brighton - what time will you aim for?
Edited: 01/11/2012 at 14:51
01/11/2012 at 16:24

sub 2 hours.. that will do me for now.. would love sub 1:55 but will see! what about yourself?

01/11/2012 at 16:34
I'm doing the Brighton half too next year. Has anyone raced it before? Hoping there aren't too many hills! Hear the part along the coast can be quite windy. Last year they got the distance wrong (was too long) but hoping will all be ok in 2013!
02/11/2012 at 06:47

bootsie - that sounds fun but tough!

That's good that at least 3 of you are doing Brighton Half, you can meet up.  

Still no run today as my cold was terrible yesterday, think I'm on the mend today though

02/11/2012 at 07:00

((Shades)) - I hope that the cold gets better today.

02/11/2012 at 08:47

slowkoala its lovely!! not too many hills.. bit of a lift up towards rottingdean but nothing too major.  Its a lovely race if you get the weather for it! If not wrap up warm!

Will be good fun to meet up before the race!!

Shades.. take care and inhale with Vicks!

02/11/2012 at 08:52
Bootsie I have my first half marathon later this month and will try to run it at a 2hr pace. I will plan a Brighton pace based on this experience.

Looking forward to meet you and Koala before the start
02/11/2012 at 08:53
Ps my first 10k was in Brighton earlier this year and we had gusts in excess of 35 mph as a headwind for half the race lol.
02/11/2012 at 15:52
Well done on the Dublin marathon Shades, you truly are an inspiration to us all.

There is another half in February which is just 2 weeks before the Brighton one. It's quite local to me so I am keen to enter but do you think this would be too much? Would interrupt the schedule of long runs and I'm sure I would race both of them rather than treat them as training runs...!
03/11/2012 at 07:03

I hate running in the wind, I find it hard as the wind forces you to work harder.

Emmy - cold is getting better, still no running though.  But RHR is decreasing now so hope to be back training by Monday.

Slowkoala - I think you recover quite quickly from races, don't you? You can do both races, a half marathon race is equivalent to about a 16 mile long run and a gentle 10 or 12 miler on the weekend inbetween and you'll be fine.

Domestic weekend at home planned, am looking forward to it

03/11/2012 at 08:01

Shades - Lol i kinda had that problem on wednesday running to work. Blowing a gale and raining with extremely heavy downpours in there too which turned roads into large puddles in minutes until it eased off enough for the water to drain away again.

Lancaster weather forecast for tomorrow is 3C @ 9 rising to 7C @ Noon. Race starts at 11. Wind 6-8 from the ENE direction which will mean tail wind on the way out and headwind on the way back but should be light enough to be not a issue, The last mile odd being down wind.

Should be a fun race anyway and i have already calculated that 8:20's or less is sub 1:50 although the nearer to 8:00's i run the better.

03/11/2012 at 17:37
Another Parkrun for me today. Perfect conditions (if a little cold at 3C or so) - no wind, the sun was shining - and I didn't do quite as well as I'd have liked, finishing in 23:22. Hopefully once I get more regular miles going again I'll bring it down a bit.

Just booked my room for Paris. Have pushed the boat out and booked my own room as I'm going with friends but decided that for 4 nights I'd rather not have to worry about being tidy, not snoring etc. We're there 3 nights before the race so sleep is essential.

Going out for a long run tomorrow and will decide then whether or not to enter a half marathon in a fortnight. Not got enough miles in my legs I don't think but might give it a go regardless.
04/11/2012 at 07:11

Keith - good luck at Lancaster today for your PB attempt, conditions seem favourable although a little cold.

Clag - well done, another speedy Park Run.

I always book a separate room when I go away for races, as do a lot of my running friends, the extra expense is worth it.

04/11/2012 at 11:00
Thanks for the advise re halfs, Shades, might give both a try then but won't enter the local one until next year anyway.

Just completed a 14 mile run in the rain. Got really soaked, could have squeezed out a bucket of water from all my clothes. Very impressed with my socks though, they are Nike dry wick ones and despite having to run through some deep puddles and getting really wet, heavy shoes, my feet are fine with no soreness or blisters. Felt ok until I stopped and then felt really shivery. But a good one to add to the training, it's all good experience!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.