Shades Marathon Training

57,681 to 57,700 of 67,853 messages
04/11/2012 at 13:09

Slowkoala - Socks that keep you blister free are so good.   Once I found the ones that suited me I stocked up in case they stopped making them.  Sounds like tough conditions for your run, winter marathon training is tough, you did well.

Emmy - I've done my entry for Berlin

04/11/2012 at 15:19

Shades: That's great news.

@Slowkoala - i've heard a lot of good things about nike dry wick ones. Where did you get yours from?

Decided to go out for a little bike ride today to look at some new possible running routes for the dark mornings/night. Where does Hubby take me? To the middle of a muddy forest with my racing bike.... :/ We came out looking like we had a mud fight between us! But all in all - I think i've found at least another two routes over 5 miles.

04/11/2012 at 16:18

A little cold lol it was perfect conditions if you exclude the headwind in mile 12 before turing back onto other side of river for the last bit

Didn't seem to have much in the way of speed in the legs and was barely going faster than my slow target of 8:20's. Once hitting the 6 mile mark and heading back along the main road i got slower but then it is kinda uphill along there and it was still sub 9 pace.

Had figured out from 10 miles done or so that 1:50 would be very touch and go as there was not a lot of speed increase being applied and what little i mustered up for mile 12 was negated by the wind blowing the other way. That and the route was along the side of the river with several right angle turns which would have cost a few seconds here and there.

Was really struggling along the last mile and despite finding some speed on entering the track and going as fast as i could manage around the bend and down the finish straight alas it was 1:50:03 on my watch so not quite sub 1:50.

I did kinda collapse in a heap at the finish and did not move until i had eaten my mars bar handed to me whilst my chip was removed Then i dragged my self up and headed to the car and home.

04/11/2012 at 16:27

Well done Keith - that's a cracking achievement in this weather! It's good to hear that they gave you a Mars Bar to finish with! That's a definite bonus for the race!

04/11/2012 at 17:56

It sure beats a bloody manky old banana any day

Splits

8:07
8:24
8:04
8:19
8:12
8:41 drink stop
8:36 up hill
8:55 more up hill
8:27
8:11 down hill
8:23
8:38 headwind
8:24
0:36 for last 0.09 @ 7:12 pace according to sporttracks

04/11/2012 at 21:47
Well done on the half, Keith. It's definitely harder going in this weather but your splits are quite consistent with a speedy finish! A well deserved Mars bar.

Emmy, I got the Nike socks from Sports direct a few months ago. Would definitely recommend them.
05/11/2012 at 07:14

Emmy - LOL ar the mud bath of a bike ride.

Keith - well done, still a PB though isn't it?

Back training today, RHR now within acceptable range.  Great to be out again even in the pouring rain

05/11/2012 at 07:15

a 7 minute PB to be precise

05/11/2012 at 08:19

Keith - that's a whopping PB, brilliant

05/11/2012 at 08:52

Well done Keith, that amazing!

Emmy!!! road bike on muddy trails!! I don't even take mine out in the rain!

I got sore glutes today! Just thought I'd share that! 

05/11/2012 at 08:53

Keith - well done on the PB! Fantastic! Your slow pace was 8:20? Blimey - I have SO far to go! My fastest pace I can run 5 miles at is 8:20 and I can't see myself going faster EVER. I know that is stupid and eventually I will speed up but I think it will be very hard work

Emmy - have you checked Strava for routes? Just 'explore athletes' in your local area and see what routes they run. I find bike routes that way sometimes and it's fun.

Speaking of Strava, I kept quiet about this because I thought I might get told off Last week I signed up for a Strava 'challenge'. They throw these challenges out there now and then like 'cycle 500 miles in 5 days' for example, they are sponsored by companies. For some reason I decided to take up the challenge of running 50 miles in a week. I incorporated it in to my training plan which was about 30 miles for the week. I pushed my Sunday long run to Monday so I would have two long runs in the same week (Monday, and then the following Sunday) This meant I had to add very little extra mileage in my other runs. 

Anyway long story short, I ran 50 miles last week Back tot he plan this week! Week 7 here I come!

05/11/2012 at 11:07

Keith - brilliant running. Well done on your pb

Shades - glad you're feeling better and back running again

VR - what have you been doing to get sore glutes?

Well, today I feel like I'm about 90 years old . I did Rutland Water yesterday and finished thinking I had hypothermia, frostbite and trench foot! Partly my own fault as I wasn't dressed for the weather, but the forecast was for sunshine and showers. Wore a t-shirt and a vest, shorts, cap and a light pair of gloves. First 7 miles were fine - very light drizzle - and I ran comfortably, chatting to a few other runners. When we reached the penisula I had to use the portaloo (permanent one for fishermen) which wasn't very 'nice' and it rocked so much I thought I'd end up sliding down to the reservoir. As we went round the peninsula (twice) the rain started to fall heavily, the wind picked up and it got COLD. By about 16 miles I couldn't feel my fingers - or my nose - at all. My gloves were too wet (shrunk?) to get off so I couldn't get my water bottle or my hankie. Last 8 miles were undulating, with a couple of steep hills which I walked, country roads which resembled rivers in full flow and enormous, deep sandy puddles which were only passable by wading through. Icy cold water streamed over my socks and into my shoes until my feet were completely numb. Picked up a knee niggle (quite stiff and slightly swollen today) - probably as a result of trying to run when I couldn't feel my feet at all. Kept slapping my hands together until my arms ached but it didn't make much difference. I was certainly glad to get to the finish, managed to peel off a glove but was unable to pick up a cup of water as my fingers didn't respond. Could have done with being wrapped in a space blanket then. Only place to change was in the chilly ladies loo, I thought I was going to cry as I could hardly move at all. My teeth were chattering and I was still shivering even after a mug of hot chocolate. Had the car heater on full blast but didn't actually start to thaw out until I was just half hour from home. Think it's about time I dug out the winter running gear - although it's quite warm and sunny again today .

05/11/2012 at 11:19

Mowzer that sounds awful Hope you feel a bit better as the day goes on. I hope you had a nice long hot soak? 

05/11/2012 at 13:21

Khanivore - LOL at the thought that you might get told off!

(((mowzer))) you poor thing, I shivered just reading your report!  Best get that winter kit out.   If I'm unsure about the weather I wear my Helly and it doesn't matter if it turns hot or cold as you can use it in all weathers.

VR - what have you been doing to get sore glutes?

05/11/2012 at 13:59

@VR - I was going to ask the same thing as Shades... was it that hard core drinking?

@Mowser - you poor thing! You've made me cold just reading your report. Did they not mention anything on the weather news beforehand? Were others in the same position as you?

@Khanivore - lol. what makes you think that you'd get told off I don't use Strava as it keeps giving me virus warnings on my laptop when I try to open it. I've used mapmyrun as my normal place for finding out routes but I like exploring!

@Shades - Great to hear that you're back out running. Do you have any races coming up?

05/11/2012 at 14:24

Hi all,

As a newcomer-ish to marathon running (I have ran the Nottingham Half in Sep), I came about this thread by chance, looking for some advice on training for VLM 2013. It seems I am about 7 years out of date from Shades' original posting but just out of interest Shades do you still have your training plan? It would be pretty useful as a young husband with 2 kids, trying to fit everything in...

Any help, would be appreciated.

Michael (slimswannie)

05/11/2012 at 14:33

Emmy - I didn't go to the pub! That feeling past. Stayed in and watched Downton. It was the last one of the series.

My glutes ache from circuits! Got a shoulder ache as well!

Mowser . I remember the first time we did Rutland with LMH. It was freezing then too!
Well done for geting round. Sounded horrible!

05/11/2012 at 14:41

@VR - BUT.... but..... I kept drinking for you last night

@Slimswannie - Shades still does her plan. I think if you PM her your email address she can send you the plan.

05/11/2012 at 14:49

Thanks Emmy, i have sent Shades a PM.

05/11/2012 at 14:51
Slimswannie wrote (see)

Thanks Emmy, i have sent Shades a PM.

No problem. I credit Shades plan for knocking off over 35 minutes on my marathon PB in under a year (5.30 to 4.55) so you're in the right place if you're looking for a good plan.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.