Shades Marathon Training

57,721 to 57,740 of 66,505 messages
06/11/2012 at 18:41

Hello, I'm new - can I join in?   I've rather rashly entered next year's Brighton marathon and am trying to work out how I can fit training around everything else...

06/11/2012 at 20:59

Knee now almost back to normal - at least I can bend my leg now - but had another rest day and might try a short flat run tomorrow.

Nearly had a heart attack earlier. Just browsing through entrants lists for MK Enigma on Sunday and couldn't find my name . Entered last April though, so a quick e-mail to Foxy got it sorted . Noticed your doing Saturday Emmy, so I'll miss you if you don't hang around for Sunday. Keith, you're just a glutton (for food and races )

Welcome edna. Stick around here and you'll soon be as nutty as the rest of us.

VR - yes I remembered the last 2 Rutland Waters, which is why I thought a t-shirt and vest and gloves would be ok this time - it didn't seem so bitterly cold at the start. Unfortunately the mist never lifted and as the rain and wind increased it jus got colder and colder. Have sorted out my running clothes today though, dug out some leggings and long sleeve tops.

Shades - what is the base layer you wear?

06/11/2012 at 22:23
Hello all,

Shades I was wondering if you could send me a copy of your training plan please as I have signed up for the Brighton and Berlin marathon next year. Any advise would be great too.

Thanks,
Luke
06/11/2012 at 22:30
Keith, my mates call me homer

Hmm things didn't get any better at dinner It seems when I go off track I give up completely - resulting in chocolate biscuit consumption

I also missed my run today for the first time! I am going shift my plan by 1 day this week so at least I get all the runs done. Feel really crappy about that though. Was working really late
07/11/2012 at 07:12

edna - welcome, will Brighton be your first marathon?

mowzer - didn't realise your knee was that bad, take it easy.

Re base layer, standard Helly top is the bees knees and for tights I just layer up.

Luke - you need to PM me your email address and I'll send you the plans

Beautiful morning, no frost, had a gorgeous run

07/11/2012 at 07:35
Shades is it beneficial to run twice in a day when I have time? Should I add to the mileage or split my daily mileage in two? I read that it is more beneficial to do two 3 mile runs in a day than one 5 or 6 mile runs. I was wondering what your thoughts on this are.

The author says that by doing two runs you can work on different aspects of your running by making the two runs different types of session eg a hill session, recovery or fartlek or easy pace or repeAts.
07/11/2012 at 08:19

Khanivore - stop buying those chocolate biscuits, if they're not there you won't eat them.

No it is not more beneficial to do two 3 mile runs, it is more beneficial to do one 6 mile run.  But if time is an issue then it's better to run when you can.   You can incorporate different sessions within the same run and for good aerobic training this only occurs after the first 40 mins of a session.

07/11/2012 at 08:32
Ok thx. The book I am reading is called 'The Art of Running Faster' by Jonathan Goater. It got very good reviews on Amazon. I will finish it but I am definitely sticking to the shades plan. That is a journey I am seeing through to the end.

Re the biscuits, I know. I didn't buy them. The wife did Oh well, today is a new day (with no business lunches but it IS her birthday so dining out and it's a set menu argh!).

I am off for my weekly tempo run now. Thank god I bought these Ron Hill full length bottoms. Must buy a second pair! Decided not to bother with compression tights after seeing what other blokes look like when wearing them. It's bad enough putting my package on display when wearing cycling gear. Really don't need to do that while running lol.
07/11/2012 at 08:59
SHADES wrote (see)

Emmy - good news.  Is the knee the same leg as the ankle?

It's easy to fall over, I tripped over my own foot and hurt my back in Sept amd missed a race...numpty

No. Left knee and right ankle. I think it's "dangerous" for me out there with all of these wet leaves and dark streets! I'm being ultra careful and on my 5 miler this morning - it didnt hurt at all so that's a huge bonus for me.

I'm just a little annoyed that I cant seem to get below 55 minutes for 5miles. Before Amsterdam i could run it in 48/50 minutes without even 'trying' but now it's a struggle to get to 55 minutes.

Keith M Stuart wrote (see)

Thats what i call a small meal

But then my eating habits are legendary and somewhat wrong for you

That's true... it looks like you might have competition in the bad eating stakes with Khanivore! I might a chance to witness this epic eating on Saturday - are you going to be in the pub after Enigma?

mowzer wrote (see)

Noticed your doing Saturday Emmy, so I'll miss you if you don't hang around for Sunday. Keith, you're just a glutton (for food and races )

Yep I'm there. It's easier for me 'recover' before work on Monday! Are you only coming up on Sunday morning for the race? It would have been lovely to see you!

Luke Gillott wrote (see)
Hello all,

Shades I was wondering if you could send me a copy of your training plan please as I have signed up for the Brighton and Berlin marathon next year. Any advise would be great too.

Thanks,
Luke

Hi Luke! Welcome to the thread - if you havent done so already - jump over to the Berlin thread and introduce yourself. Don't worry about the inneundo - it's normal

I managed 5 miles this morning and felt ok... no pain and am just getting myself mentally prepared for saturday with an assortment of running gear! Does anyone have any idea what to do about chaff between the legs? I've tried bodyglide/different tights but it doesnt make a difference.

@Shades - how do you layer on the bottom? Just wear double? or do you have thermals?

07/11/2012 at 09:01
Khanivore wrote (see)
Decided not to bother with compression tights after seeing what other blokes look like when wearing them. It's bad enough putting my package on display when wearing cycling gear. Really don't need to do that while running lol.

If I decided to do that with every pair of running gear I saw - i'd be going out naked I only wear skins if i'm running at SOC (stupid o clock) as I tend to get 'a lot of attention' from van drivers in them....

07/11/2012 at 10:05

sunshine again here today.. running this evening.  had massage and reiki last night and it was very good so feeling much better

07/11/2012 at 10:51

Hi all....I'm new to this thread.  Thanks Shades for emailing me your plans.

Anyway, I'm currently umming and ahhing about doing another marathon, hence requesting Shades plans.  I did London in 2010 in (mutter, mutter) 5:15, and I was happy with that but vowed "never again" (it was one of those "must get around", which I managed)  However, I've recently joined a Club and got a 1:50 PB on a half and I'm beginning to wonder if I want to do another marathon.  I'm aiming for 1:45 for a half I have planned in March, but I'm wondering whether to also enter a marathon in April/May.  Decisions, decisions!

The main thing for me is to keep my back healthy.  I'm 6ft 3 and currently about 13st 5, so am in the "healthy" BMI range.  In the past though I've suffered with a bad back, which I've put down to overtraining and being lazy with stretches, and I don't want to go through that again!

07/11/2012 at 11:01

Hi Big_G, welcome to the thread. When I used to run a few years ago I used to suffer from back pain. I started suffering back pain years ago after a long haul flight on which I slept awkwardly. Running would aggravate it. I lived with it for years.

This time round, running wise, I have been making sure I am light on my feet. I try to keep a high cadence and land my feet under my centre of gravity rather than in front of me. I am also trying not to heel strike, something not everyone on this thread agrees with. However, for me all of this has worked and I am running much more mileage than I have ever run before and have very very little backache. In fact I would say I have less backache now than before I took up running again!

Good luck!

07/11/2012 at 12:47

Khanivore - thanks for the welcome.  I have been trying to work on what you've said, and have seen improvements as well.  In the past, I've had my back go twice and on both occasions it was whilst doing mundane tasks such as picking something up off the floor!  When it goes, it knocks me out for a month at least. The first occasion, I was flat on my back for nearly 2 weeks and hobbling around for a few weeks after that.  Not pleasant

As well as what you've said, I do plenty of stretching and am wary of lifting things properly.  So far, I've been okay for the last 18 months or so, which is good news!

Anyway, to enter another marathon or not....that is the question!

07/11/2012 at 13:13

Hi Big G and welcome. Enter it of course!! 

07/11/2012 at 14:36

Hi all - yes, Brighton will be my first marathon and I'm expecting to be very slow.  I'm not where I hoped to be having suffered a nasty ankle sprain in a fall earlier in the year.  Is it just me that only ever falls over during those rare runs when everything comes together and it feels fantastic?!

Hopefully I can stay on my feet but, like Emmy, am quite nervous about piles of leaves and potholes in the dark.  Have unexpectedly managed 4 miles in the sunshine today though, so all is good.

07/11/2012 at 16:24

Sorry, forgot to say earlier have sent Shades a message with my email address and would be really grateful for a copy of the training plan.

07/11/2012 at 17:30

Khanivore - hope you have a lovely meal tonight for your wife's birthday.

LOL at being modest about wearing running tights  and what with Emmy and her chafing problem

Emmy - your knee problem may be you trying to protect your ankle.   Don't worry your speed will return, remember how you were complaining about your running pace a few days before your mega PB at Amsterdam?

I must pop over to the Berlin thread too and see what's going on

Re the chafing, as you seem to have tried everything the only thing left is to wear something different.   Chafing is often due to poor fit...usually too big so a snugger fit may help.

I have one pair of base layer thermals (tights) but usually I just wear 2 pairs in cold weather.

Big G - welcome to the thread.   With that half marathon time there is a big marathon PB waiting for you.    Re your back, perhaps a little core work to strengthen those muscles that protect your back.

Edna - We will see you safely through your first marathon.   Hope the ankle is OK now, it can take a long time to recover from an ankle injury.  I think this time of year is difficult as suddenly we're all doing our runs in the dark and there are perils out there.   I run early in the morning and fortunately I can often run in the road which is smoother and clear of hazards as there is little or no traffic.

Will email your plan now

07/11/2012 at 17:47

Received, many thanks.  Don't know whether be relieved or more nervous now!

07/11/2012 at 18:13

Oh aye i'll be in the pub post race both days

Saturday will need something decent sized to refuel for sundays marathon naturally...
Will see who i can con into a 2 for £10 meal on the day.

Other than that i shall attempt to remember the way to sainsburys, or cheat and use sat nav.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.