Shades Marathon Training

57,761 to 57,780 of 66,140 messages
08/11/2012 at 14:14

hiya small

running at lunch was good.. 1 mile race.. done in 7:47, then did some fartlek work

08/11/2012 at 17:49

Shades - first the bad news...Florence is a no-go unfortunately. Everyone I know is travelling by train or coach so that's around €70 return plus hotel, entry fee etc it's out of budget. Mini Molly is having a fixed brace on this weekend and that's 5,500€ (can pay 200€ every month), what is made of - gold???? 

The good news is that my Mum & Dad asked what I wanted for xmas ...and I said Berlin entry fee....so that is definitely on!!! Must remind them to pay tomorrow!

08/11/2012 at 18:45

Shades - lol sort of, more a case of NOT esating other things later at night. Usually resolved by not having dinner as soon as i get in. There is also a reduction ion junk food consumption but only a reduction, I still eat the odd tub of ice cream now and then or bar of choclate (and i dont mean a mars bar here obviously as this is me, try 100g bars instead)

08/11/2012 at 19:16

Emmy - massive yoyo-ing on the calorie front lol. I went about 1400 calories over budget two days in a row. This was mostly because I was not running on either day (one day intentionally one day unintentionally). I have come to realise that I have remained a big eater but am just running enough to keep it in check.

Today I spent all morning not eating because i was about to go on a run any minute, but the calls kept coming. I eventually didn't get out until 1pm, still having not eaten but not feeling hungry because i had drunk water and was stuffed silly from last night (mouth watering thinking about the pudding). I ran an extra couple of miles to burn off some extra calories and came home at 2.30pm and decided to have breakfast instead of lunch (porrdige). Consequently I am well under budget today and not even feeling very hungry. It is 7pm so I will try to have a modest dinner of a baked potato and beans (ok yes there will be cheese in there stop staring at me baaahhhhhh).. and then go to bed on time so i don't get trapped by the 1.5 thorntons cakes that are currently sitting downstairs.

That's the plan. I would put my money on there being a 'Oh my god I ate half a chocolate cake' post in a couple of hours

Did 10 miles today instead of 8. I have definitely turned a corner in my fitness and runs. I run 10 miles at 10-10:30 m/m without it feeling like a big effort. I do not feel wiped out when i get home. Given a choice of running 5 miles at fast pace or 10 miles at a slower pace I would definitely find the later FAR easier and in fact look forward to the slow run as a mind clearing exercise. I think at some point I do need to add a 5th day of running in. I have not been doing the optional runs. I think I will make this a hill repeats, strides, or fartlek day. Not yet though.. 

08/11/2012 at 23:31

Update: Ok i crumbled and ate 2 slices of gorgeous lucious Thorntons cake. This came to 464 calories. Luckily I burned about 500 calories by sneaking in a 60 minute turbo trainer ride A price WELL worth paying!

09/11/2012 at 07:00

Big G - I too am a Teignbridge Trotter but 2nd claim and I never go to club training!

small - I'm well thanks.  Are you planning a marathon next year?

molly - re Florence that is such a shame we won't have your company but great news that you'll be in Berlin.   Have you done Berlin before?

Keith - well what ever you do it works for you, delaying your evening meal is a good idea.

Khanivore - well done on your training and your willpower that you only ate 464 calories of the cake...I know you have the capability to eat more!.

09/11/2012 at 07:43
Erm there a third slice and some biscuits to be added oops.

I can't run until the evening today. Hate it when this happens I far prefer morning running. I think I will try a brick session for the first time. I will do a 60 min turbo trainer session followed immediately by my 5 mile easy pace run for the week.

Excited about Sunday. I have my first 18 mile run to do. Woohoo. Getting close to that maximum training distance of 20 miles
09/11/2012 at 08:13

Khanivore - LOL at the extra cake and biscuits..tut tut.  

It's refreshing that you're looking forward to your first 18 miler, many dread increasing the distance when they've never run that far before but your attitude is the right one to have.   And think of the calories you will burn

09/11/2012 at 08:17
Shades you hit the mail on the head! 18 miles is a LOT of cake
09/11/2012 at 08:48

Khanivore.. enjoy your cake!! you deserve it!

09/11/2012 at 09:32

VR - you may not have fully realised it, but you and I crossed paths this morning.  I don't usually run on weekday mornings and when I do, I cross another Trotter/Forumite   In the week I usually run after work, but I got a slow 8 miler in this morning. 

09/11/2012 at 09:40

I did realise it was you after we passed each other!
I saw the weather forcast and thought it best to do a longish run this morning. 10 mile out and back.
Khanivore! You and your cake! Hope you have a good 18 miler

09/11/2012 at 10:29

Lol even i dont do long runs to justify more cake

I do it for ice cream instead

09/11/2012 at 11:51

Hi all!

Managed to get over to the UK ok... but had an horrific contact lens trial this morning... my eyes just dont like having it put in there!

@Khanivore - crickey... i never think of long runs for cake... maybe it'd make me quicker? 

@VR - That's a good friday distance!

@Keith - are you all ready for tomorrow's Foxy marathon/ulta?

@Shades - How are you getting on?

09/11/2012 at 12:10

works for me Emmy

09/11/2012 at 13:19

@Bootsie - what works for you? Contacts? How do you do it? I've watched countless youtube trials and tried other things but it doesnt seem to work

09/11/2012 at 13:25

lol! i meant the cake thing! not contacts sorry

09/11/2012 at 13:28

Emmy - I'm fine thanks.

Ouch to the contact lens trial.   But they don't suit everyone do they?   I use specs for computer/reading, I'm OK for distance like driving....honest

09/11/2012 at 13:34

@Bootsie - Lol! It's good to see that you're focused on the important thing!

@Shades - Yeah... my eyes are still tender at the moment.... and i'm working this afternoon staring at a computer screen It's good to hear that you're fully recovered from your cold.

09/11/2012 at 13:39

during post work drinkies last night I managed to get 10 people to agree to do a 10km in july.. very exciting.. there is a bet on regarding finish times.  Fab to hear so many people enthused though

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.