Shades Marathon Training

57,821 to 57,840 of 67,194 messages
12/11/2012 at 13:57

10km done yesterday in beautiful sunshine early in the monring.. stunning!

went horse riding afterwards.. not sure which hurt mor ebut very stiff this afternoon!

12/11/2012 at 14:00

@Mamafox - that's good to know I got a lovely bottle of wine from Medoc As Shades has said - it's a bad day at the office and just to learn and move on to the next one.

I find walking down the stairs backwards helps I have the same issues!

12/11/2012 at 15:18

mamafox - excellent first marathon , hope you hang around on this thread.

Keith - good running from you over the weekend . I always find that course difficult for some reason. Set off a bit too fast as I was chatting with a friend, she then went flying off on the first full lap and I didn't see her again until after the finish (she reminds me of a Duracel Bunny ). Felt a little light headed after 2 laps so stopped for a drink with electrolites and some flapjack (plus a toilet stop at the restaurant which cost 4 mins). Felt a bit better then although calves ached slightly all the way. Had a strange ache in my shoulder too (which I had a few months ago) but this stopped when I took off my gloves . Took advantage of seeing people I know during the last couple of laps and had a little walk while I chatted to them. Finished in 4:23, which if you subtract the pit stop is about the same as my best time at the lake, so was happy with that. Swollen knee from Rutland had cleared up by midweek, so only had the usual knee niggle which didn't hurt at all until way after the finish when I turned round quickly. Still sore today but not sure what causes it.

Emmy - the important thing is that you finished  and that you still want to do more. The good thing about a marathon is that if you are feeling really bad you can walk and admire the views or have a chat to someone (lots of others will be doing the same). You can't do that in a 5 or 10k .

VR, Shades - off to see if I can access the Trotter on-line .

12/11/2012 at 16:20
Shades - training going well, thanks. Been doing a tempo run most weeks of around 3-5 miles, an easy run sometimes with hills of 6-7 miles and a long run on Sundays of 10-14 miles. 14 miles is the longest I have run. Have joined a local club which is quite laid back and have been going to theri saturday session. Did a timed mile one week and then some intervals the next. Good fun as I'm not used to being around other runners! It does mean than I now run 3 days in a row which maybe explains why my thigh aches after Sundays. I am aiming to start the shades schedule properly in mid December. Should I continue to build up the LSRs gradually between now and then and then when I start the schedule keep going from where I am at in terms of the LSR distance? Hope this makes sense!
12/11/2012 at 16:41

@VR - Mowser makes a good point -can we view the trotters online?

@Mowser - Well done! I know what you mean about the course. I'm a tad worried for the Enigma winter double.... i'll be seeing that windmill a few more times than I think i'd like to! It's strange about your shoulder - how are you feeling today? Does it still ache?

I agree about talking to people... I attached myself to someone doing the ultra and we kept each other company. I also had the pleasure of meeting someone who is on marathon 107, another on 517 ....or something crazy in the 500's and a few others who made me think that they're absolutely crazy!

@Slowkoala - do you have any races planned soon?

12/11/2012 at 18:23

Emmy - I'm off to Ireland this weekend, a 30 miler on a very hilly course

VR - just think of all the cross stitch you could have completed by now.....and you'd be a lot richer too

mamafox - perfectly normal for your first marathon, a little gentle stretching, some walking, warm baths and you'll soon be fine.  

Slowkoala - just be careful that that niggle doesn't turn into an injury.   You're well ahead of the schedule so it might be a good idea not to increase any distance at the moment and let that little twinge heal up first.

mowser - you do seem to have an odd collection of niggles and aches during a race, but I'm the same and then they go away (hopefully)

Link to Trotter mag here, I think it's supposed to be for club members only but this is important!  http://www.teignbridgetrotters.co.uk/mag

12/11/2012 at 18:57

The only thing that hurts today is my foot, sore on the top of my left foot. Not the first time though so not bothered with it. A bit of a ache in the shoulder too.

Somewhat hungry today.....

Food at the weekend was
Friday weetabix, 2 greggs corned beef slices, chicken burger and chips.
Saturday rice pudd for brekkie, erm 3 smarties cookies, 2 mars caramel, fish and chips, honeycomb and toffee popcorn cheesecake.
Sunday rice pudd for brekkie, the other 2 cookies and other 2 mars caramels, chicken burger and chips. A several pints of lager shandy over the 3 days too.
Also a few bits of cake during the race nabbed from the table

Not a huge lot by my standards, weetabix and a litre of milkshake for brekkie. A rolo cookie at tea break, chicken and bacon mayo bagette for lunch (was here i kinda noticed i was hungry as i could havve had 2....) then stuffed crust pizza for dinner.

That'll be it for today as i cba to move from the sofa

12/11/2012 at 20:36
Emmy, I think in running as in life you learn more when things don't go to plan as you know how to do things differently next time and you gain strength from knowing that you can cope even when things get tough. I don't have any races booked for the rest of the year but have a timed 5k this Saturday with my club. Next year I have Brighton half, maybe Watford half, probably finchley 20, VLM and BUPA 10k.

Shades - I think you are right (as always!) re not pushing it too much with training right now as avoiding injury is the main goal. My thighs feel fine today but I have had the same niggle two Sundays running so will go easy this week.

Annoyingly, when I put my trainers on yesterday my fingers went through the side seam at the front so now my left toe is almost poking through the shoe! I think I have run around 400 miles in them so probably time to go shopping. Frustrating though as they are really comfy (saucony) but I don't think they make tem any more.
Edited: 12/11/2012 at 20:38
13/11/2012 at 07:13

Keith - sore foot maybe where your shoes are laced?   Usual disgusting food I see

slowkoala - maybe new shoes will get rid of that niggle on your Sunday runs.   You might be able to find a pair of your Saucony shoes if you trawl the internet.   Or call a couple of the bigger running shops, I've managed to find shoes like that before.

Lovely mild morning here, great for running

13/11/2012 at 08:17

Emmy - Thank you for the tip.. def easier backwards . Am feeling much better today and contemplating next run.

Mowzer - thank you for the welcome, would love to hang around!

Shades - I want to do another marathon in the spring but haven't actually entered anything yet, similarly to Slowkoala am planning to start proper training plan in a month or so and in meantime will continue with regular running through week and hope this will be ok.

Can anyone recommend a good watch / timer? (not sure of proper word )Someone lent me one in the run up to my race which gave distance and speed but I would like one which gives heart rate, plus something more compact as the one I had was enormous and felt like I was carrying a brick around on my wrist.

13/11/2012 at 10:17

mamafox - garmin 405 - love mine

hill reps today.. very mild here too

13/11/2012 at 11:00
A very very boring 1 hour at the gym on Sunday and just an easy 4 miler this morning before work and no issues. I have a club session tomorrow so looking forward to that.

Mamafox - as Bootsie says, the Garmins are very good. I have the older 305 which I use for every run, although I don't often use the HR strap, but it's there if I want it. You can set up a free account on the Garmin Connect website where you can upload your training and it maps your routes, elevations etc. I haven't checked recently but Amazon sometimes have a deal on Garmins so keep an eye out there. My wife has the 405 also and likes it too.
13/11/2012 at 13:06

Mamafox - I have a Garmin 305 which I love and use the heart rate monitor every day, bought mine from Amazon.

Yes, recover at your own pace and ease yourself back into regular running.   there should be plenty of Spring marathons to choose from.  

I'm so glad you have decided to run another marathon....of course I hope you realise that you're now at the mercy of a terrible addiction to marathon running and will probably end up just like most of us on this thread

Big G - was it you I saw running at Forde Park this morning?

13/11/2012 at 13:42
Shades - I wasn't on Forde Park today. I did a loop that I call 'the circle of doom' as it is pretty uninspiring

From my road, I turn right towards Penn Inn roundabout along the main road, under the roundabout and back towards the bridge by The Sloop (Kerswell Arch). I cross over the bridge and then run home. It's only a 4.25 miles loop all on the main road but it gets me out and means I'm never more than 1.5 miles from home
13/11/2012 at 13:44

@Mamafox - I have a Garmin 305 and love it. I'm looking to upgrade once it dies to a 405 or 910X but they are a tad expensive. I also got mine on offer from amazon for 90 GBP. Be careful... I started out wanting to run one marathon and i've done 5 this year...  I blame Shades 

@Bootsie - we've had a real cold snap lately. 2-3'c and a biting wind

13/11/2012 at 17:52

VR - what a fab article! I think your newletter is well interesting

Only five more until the end of the year I haven't even done 5 all year!!

Emmy - very well done at sticking it out. A "normal" person would have jacked it in so a massive pat on your back from me

mamafox - well done on becoming a marathoner I've got a Garmin 310xt and I love it.

Keith - well done for getting in the top half!!

Shades - I did 1.50.21 in the HM it's not a PB (1.47 in 2008) but it's the best I've done in the last couple of years so I'm improving. I've taken a couple of days of running as I feel a bit weary, nothing hurts I just feel like an old biddy.

I had a bone density test today and I've got osteopenia...I was told to do more exercise, drink milk ( I drink LOADS), get more sunshine (vitamin D) and running outdoors in Italy all year round I don't do bad sunwise and go to the doctor to get a supplement.

13/11/2012 at 17:54

Big G - I often run to Kerswell too now that the mornings are dark, usually turn off towards the Park Inn and then up past the shops and down Southey Lane.    Just wondered if it was you as I said good morning to the runner in Forde Park and he was tall.

Emmy - moi!!!!!!!!

Very mild here, about 14 degrees, lovely

mowser - I've sent you a text re Florence.

13/11/2012 at 18:07

@Molly - Thanks I'm sorry to hear about the osteopenia. I've been told that i'm likely to get it as both of my parents suffer from it. I was told soya milk is great for calcium.

@Shades - Yes entirely your fault *cough*..... let's put VR into that mix as well  I admit that I do enjoy every second AFTER it though!

13/11/2012 at 18:15

Nice to see i escape all blame there Emmy

Now does Belgium do hell runner style events? And if so when in the year usually? Tempting with a mini holiday there next year and if i can tag a race on too......

Naturally if i do do a race you can guide me round Damn there goes my blame freeness

13/11/2012 at 18:22

molly - still a great time for your half.

Bad news on the diagnosis, you'll have to do more running then!   And get that supplement from docs.

We're going to miss you in Florence but we'll meet up next year.

Emmy - just have to get you to (sort of) enjoy the race part too

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.