Shades Marathon Training

57,841 to 57,860 of 66,253 messages
13/11/2012 at 18:15

Nice to see i escape all blame there Emmy

Now does Belgium do hell runner style events? And if so when in the year usually? Tempting with a mini holiday there next year and if i can tag a race on too......

Naturally if i do do a race you can guide me round Damn there goes my blame freeness

13/11/2012 at 18:22

molly - still a great time for your half.

Bad news on the diagnosis, you'll have to do more running then!   And get that supplement from docs.

We're going to miss you in Florence but we'll meet up next year.

Emmy - just have to get you to (sort of) enjoy the race part too

13/11/2012 at 18:22

@Keith - I blame you for the honeycomb cheesecake... If it wasnt for you - that poor waiter may have gotten away without any harassment from our table! I think I still drank more than you, though

Yeah... they do - but it's normally 10km. I can send you a link of the race we did in September (race against nature) or may (spartacus run). There's one that's 12 miles in Zolder (a race track) but I cant remember when that is.

It's become a lot more popular over here. If you fancy a great little break - head to Berlin for the Fishermans Friend run. 12 miles of absolute german fury! 

We've been looking for that ultra race that your friend was talking about but can't find anything. Can you ask him to give us more info?

13/11/2012 at 18:53

He was getting hassled long before i got there Plus it was kinda hard NOT to drink more than me being i was driving

I'm aware what Zolder is Berlin sounds good being i didn't get into the marathon...

No idea what race he was looking for and i looked too

14/11/2012 at 07:13

Emmy - is Keith trying to lure into the cult of the ultra?

Lovely mild morning again, most enjoyable run

14/11/2012 at 07:37

@Shades - I hope not... although I do have a 'dilemma'. Im planning on the eco trail de Paris... and have two options: 30km or 50km.... what should I do? I was thinking 50km but I dont want to burn myself out for Paris a few weeks after that.

@Keith - you never know... a lot of people have no clue where/what Zolder is.

I need a kick up the ass to get out for a run.... anyone?

14/11/2012 at 08:06

Shades - Nope much worse than Ultra's Good old mud runs instead, bound to be better and cheaper over there in Europe.

Emmy - Sorry been for my recovery run already Be out again 6amish tomorrow though. May be try killing myself with Insanity friday, although i may need to work out what part of house has a high enough roof not to hit doing jumps....

14/11/2012 at 08:14

@Keith - I used to do the impact stuff in the kitchen with a gym mat underneath me. When I did it in the living room - the entire house used to shake :/

14/11/2012 at 08:20

Emmy - how many weeks before Paris is the Eco-trail?   I'd go for the 50km, that's only 5 miles more than a marathon and there shouldn't be any great pressure to do a speedy time (so you could always walk the last 5 miles).  

Found a great pair of my shoes in Union Jack colours, will order next week if there are any left

Keith - what's insanity Friday?

Edited: 14/11/2012 at 08:21
14/11/2012 at 08:36

Shades - Er this http://www.beachbody.co.uk/product/fitness-training/insanity-workout.do

I have UJ shoes already Brooks did a limited edition version of the GTS12

Emmy - lol i already know the house will bang around... more a case of not wanting to bash my arms/hands on the roof espcially as i was intending to use the loft conversion bit

14/11/2012 at 09:27

keith.. my friend tried to get me doing that.. ouch!

hill reps yesterday.. maybe a tempo run today/that or zumba? thoughts?

just had flu jabs.. they hurt!!

on a non running note.. my little horse and I rock! Finally, after a great lesson on sunday, I am able to mount her without her moving away from me.. and hack her out the road without her rearing!! we are rocking!

14/11/2012 at 10:52
Bootsie, I'm having the jab on Monday do thanks for the warning! Any side affects I need to know about?

Shades, where do you order your shoes from? Do you have a number on the go at the same time? Off to Sweatshop now so hoping to get myself a new pair. Those UJ ones sound fab!

Mild morning today, did a 6 mile tempoish run. Thighs felt fine so the 2 days rest must have helped and managed to average just under 7m 30 pace.

Any recommendations for GPS watch? Have an amazon voucher to spend and have been looking at the garmin 410 but lots of complaints re bezel. Is it that bad? Other option is the Nike watch as I have always used the Nike app on my phone so would keep all my data.
14/11/2012 at 11:00

Thank you everyone for your advice re watches - Garmin now top of chrimbo list (I can always dream...)

I have just had a look at that insanity thing and it looks horrendous.. quite frankly I think you are all bonkers! Shades perhaps takes most of the blame as ringleader but the rest of you are not far behind

Good news about your horse bootsie.. sounds like a big step forward. Mine jumped on my foot a couple of weeks before my marathon resulting in 10 days of forced rest - relationship still a frosty between us!

14/11/2012 at 11:21

i'll let you know.. just had it 2 hours ago so will see if anything strange occurs!

I'm still saying garmin 405.. the bezel is grand! works perfectly for me

14/11/2012 at 12:29
bootsie wrote (see)

keith.. my friend tried to get me doing that.. ouch!

just had flu jabs.. they hurt!!

I've done it too and it wasnt too bad. It hurt for the first few days...

I had mine and my arm was dead for the rest of the day!

Great news about the horse, Bootsie!

Slowkoala wrote (see)
Bootsie, I'm having the jab on Monday do thanks for the warning! Any side affects I need to know about?

Shades, where do you order your shoes from? Do you have a number on the go at the same time? Off to Sweatshop now so hoping to get myself a new pair. Those UJ ones sound fab!

Any recommendations for GPS watch? Have an amazon voucher to spend and have been looking at the garmin 410 but lots of complaints re bezel. Is it that bad? Other option is the Nike watch as I have always used the Nike app on my phone so would keep all my data.

If you order from sweatshop - you can use the code MTALK for 10% off your orders.

I have a Garmin 305 and its great. When this one dies - i'll definitely be sticking with Garmin.

RE: Side effects for the flu jab. Ive had flu like symptoms for 48 hours after it but am just a little tired now.

14/11/2012 at 13:13

Keith - LOL, I've seen that Insanity on the shopping channels when I've been in Ireland and can't get a decent news channel to watch in the morning.    Good luck, and be careful you don't get injured.

Re the shoes they are the GTS 12 limited edition.

bootsie - that's great news re your horse, she's coming on well

Slowkoala - I am a complete anorak when it comes to shoes, I have a spreadsheet to record the mileage of each pair so that I don't risk injury.   My race shoes I only race in until about 400 miles then just use them for training until they've reached their quota.   I then have a selection of other running shoes that I buy just to use for training.   I recently had a cull so am down to about 16 pairs but my current racing shoes will only last me until about Feb so I need another pair, especially as I have a double in Feb and never wear same shoes on consecutive days (racing or training).    Told you I was an anorak .   

I order my shoes on the internet, usually just go for the best price so have been lucky and last year picked up enough of my race shoes from M & M Direct to last 2 years.  The Union Jack ones are on Runners Need

mamafox - I wouldn't advise the Insanity to any one unless they want to pick up an injury!  As for marathons I just think they're so good I want everyone else to enjoy them too!

14/11/2012 at 18:16

Shades - lol yes quite, not sure what i dread most the achy legs etc or the pathetic score for the push up jacks in the 2 weekly fit test.....

Emmy - i like the way the power knees are only on ONE leg lol surely it should be alternated else you'd run round in circles

14/11/2012 at 20:36
8miles done and dusted and I felt ok.... First run after the marathon and there's just one small blister that is a tad painful.

@Keith - wait until you get into it... The power knees are the easiest part of the workout. I still do the plyometric exercises now for core stability... I remember laying in a pool of sweat after the first few workouts.

@Shades - I think you've rubbed off on me. I have different coloured laces so I can track each shoes with a highlighter.... *blush*
14/11/2012 at 20:41
Shades, your post re shoes really made me laugh today! I thought I was getting obsessed but you are a true anorak (although the spreadsheet sounds like a good idea ) I had heard before not to run in the same pair two days running so maybe I should have got 2 pairs today. Got some Asics from Sweatshop and they give you 30 days to wear them and you can still change your mind and take them back even if gou have worn them to death outside which is good. They actually make you a pair of personalised inner soles for your feet which I tried but couldnt justify the ??45 quid for them!!! Has anyone tried these? Apparently they last for 2 years and you can wear them in all shoes.

Emmy, thanks for the code for money off. I hadn't realised you could use this in the store so didnt think to take it. Will use it as an excuse to order stuff for Xmas. Used it last week to her a HH base layer.
14/11/2012 at 21:43

omg - massive shawarma dinner on edgeware rd followed by brownie explosion at haagan dasz in leicester square last night! SOOOOOO TASTY but ate 3 days worth of calories in one meal lol. 

Still, managed to get out for my 5 mile tempo run before sunrise this am which i am proud of. I knew I would be too knackered after work to run. Second week in a row my running schedule is shifted a day late. It was a stupid week to do this as it means I get only one days rest between my run on Friday (which should have been on Thursday) and the half marathon on Sunday. 

Oh well.

Edited: 14/11/2012 at 21:44
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.