Shades Marathon Training

57,861 to 57,880 of 67,654 messages
15/11/2012 at 10:34

Hi Bootsie - How did you get on?

@Shades - I'm not sure... I hope it's back. Last night I turned back as I was feeling a little sick and it's still with me now... Let's see how I get on tonight/tomorrow morning.

@Khanivore - good luck for your half marathon this weekend.

15/11/2012 at 11:23
I'm thinking of doing a small "running streak" in December and I was wondering if anyone wanted to join me on here and report back.

Basically, the "rules" are:
- you have to run/jog at least 1 mile every day of December.
- If, for example, you find yourself having run 1 mile at 23:59:59 on 2nd December and continue running at 00:00:01 for another mile on 3rd December, that counts as 2 days.
- treadmills do count.
- walking doesn't count....i.e., walking around the office/town on your day-to-day business doesn't count.
- urrm, that's it.

Any takers?

I failed the last time I tried it, but it was due the weather. I was ice/snow bound and couldn't get out and couldn't even drive to the gym to do the mile on a treadmill. I suppose I could have trotted up and down my driveway, but I didn't.

Some of you may ask, "What's the point?"....I don't have an answer to that Also, many of you may do more than this anyway.
15/11/2012 at 11:39

I'm in Big G.. I loved it last time I did it!

15/11/2012 at 12:17

Hi Gig G - I'm not a fan of streaking, the running kind that is 
But good luck to those that do.

Shades - When do you leave for Ireland? 

15/11/2012 at 13:08

bootsie- bootcamp, bet that was tough.

Emmy - if you're a bit poorly then rest for a couple of days.

Big G - I'll join you and bootsie for the December streak.   My last race of the year is 25th November so that will suit me fine as I settle in for some winter training.

VR - Tomorrow morning, driving to Bristol airport for lunchtime flight to Cork

15/11/2012 at 13:23

not as tough as intervals in the park.. did 2 *200m and 4*400m averaging 6 mins 50 sec/mile.. i ache!

oooh shades.. cork.. can I please come!!

15/11/2012 at 17:15

bootsie - another tough session for you.   You must be glad to get back to work in the afternoon for a sit down

Not staying in Cork unfortunately, picking up a hire car as staying near Adare for a race on Sunday at Sixmilebridge.   Looking forward to seeing Adare, just passed through last time and it looks gorgeous.

Back to Kettlecise tonight, missed the last 2 weeks

15/11/2012 at 23:06

Good Luck Shades . Back on the Guinness?

16/11/2012 at 05:19

mowzer - LOL.  Probably not much Guinness this weekend, driving and not sure how far I am staying from the nearest pub, although knowing Ireland it won't be far!

No run this morning, packing and Mum's food shop before leaving for airport

16/11/2012 at 07:29

Hey Shades - Have a great run this weekend. I hope it's not as hilly as the profile suggests :/ I agree with Mowser - a guinness or two is good for you

I've been offered a slot at the christmas enigma (double).... the question is: one marathon or two....? Any suggestions/thoughts anyone?

A lovely 5miler this morning to drop off my car for it's service. I'm crossing my fingers and begging it's not too expensive

16/11/2012 at 08:15

I survived a week of being sneezed & coughed on by my twins only to fall ill at final hurdle, 2 days before my first half marathon. I feel terrible and my mileage this week is going to be well short as I am not going to run my 5 miles easy pace session today. 

Can I recover in time or is this RIP Gosport Half marathon? I do not have a history of recovering quickly from illness. Hope I break the pattern this time. I have been waiting a very long time for this race so I can get a better expectation of my marathon time and so that I can choose the best training paces. 

Does anyone know of any other half marathons in the South East in December or in January? I can only find mad races like the knacker cracker. If I don't find another one I have to wait until Brighton in Feb 

Edited: 16/11/2012 at 08:16
16/11/2012 at 08:19

Emmy - lol you'll be doing the quad next in which case i'll see you there

Now er insanity..... I think some impromptu weights first clearing stuff etc to make space.... Turns out there isn't really much room in the loft room plus its not exactly quiet where as ground floor should be far better for noise and its also a little higher. Only technical hitch is the light is a dangly shade fitted one right in the flipping middle of the room....

16/11/2012 at 08:31

Emmy - hope the car service isn't too pricey, must book mine in too

Re Enigma, your choice, I'm not getting blamed!

Khanivore - don't run if you're ill, so no run today and see how you are on Sunday.   You still have a long time before your marathon so revised training paces are not essential at the moment.  

Just look on RW Events, maybe some smaller club races but Dec/Jan there are fewer races due to weather/travel etc.  Or maybe look on travelling a bit further from home.

Good luck for Sunday if you're well enough to run

Keith - do your Insanity outside and entertain your neighbours

Right signing off now, home on Monday

Edited: 16/11/2012 at 08:32
16/11/2012 at 08:37

good luck for this weekend shades

16/11/2012 at 09:47

@Shades - do you think i'd ever blame you? I'm responsible for my own stupidity I'm just looking for advice/confirmation of insanity! Good luck for this weekend - I really hope it goes well.

@Keith -  I probably would do the quadzilla but it sells out so quickly/reserve list is so long that I dont think i'd get in!

RE: Insanity: I'd recommend ground floor/garage where you can jump and move around easily. I bought a gym mat to help my knees/ankles on some of the movements.

@Khanivore - completely agree with Shades on the cold front. If you're feeling rough - you are not going to feel any better after running 13.1 miles.... in fact you'll probably delay your recovery even more as you've strained yourself.

@Mowser - are you doing any of the christmas Enigmas? would be nice to see finally see you!

16/11/2012 at 10:08

For Keith or whoever that wants another chance to enter Berlin

http://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/event/registration-2013.html

16/11/2012 at 10:33
Shades, hope you have a good weekend in Ireland. Thanks for the shoe advise, I have found my old saucony's on the net (pays to look on 3rd page of google
Search) so am getting them am as a 2nd pair (will blame you if my OH complains!)

Khamivore, hope you feel better for Sunday, but I agree with others, don't run if you don't feel well, you risk getting an injury or a time that you'll be cross with. There's a Watford half a couple of weeks before Brighton one on 3rd feb.

8 miles today in new shoes. All good and thighs seem fine
16/11/2012 at 10:40

@Khanivore: There are 7 half marathons in December on the events page and 4 in January

You can also put yourself on the reserve list for this one. It's had great reviews in previous years

16/11/2012 at 10:45

Thanks Emmy. Appreciate your help The January ones are all miles away The Bedford one looks promising and if I miss Sunday's run I think I will sign up for that one instead. Thanks a lot. 

Are you doing the knacker cracker this year by the way? What kind of shoes do i need for that? I figure road shoes won't work right?

16/11/2012 at 11:24

Hi Khani, No problem... the important thing is looking at the big picture and not focusing too much on races now. I didnt do my first half until March this year in prep for the VLM.

I wore my road shoes but they were a little slippy. I'm currently looking at a pair of trail shoes for the eco trail de paris but can't find any that suit my gait.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.