Shades Marathon Training

57,881 to 57,900 of 66,392 messages
16/11/2012 at 10:45

Thanks Emmy. Appreciate your help The January ones are all miles away The Bedford one looks promising and if I miss Sunday's run I think I will sign up for that one instead. Thanks a lot. 

Are you doing the knacker cracker this year by the way? What kind of shoes do i need for that? I figure road shoes won't work right?

16/11/2012 at 11:24

Hi Khani, No problem... the important thing is looking at the big picture and not focusing too much on races now. I didnt do my first half until March this year in prep for the VLM.

I wore my road shoes but they were a little slippy. I'm currently looking at a pair of trail shoes for the eco trail de paris but can't find any that suit my gait.

16/11/2012 at 11:34

Come and do the knacker cracker!

16/11/2012 at 12:51

Lol! Sounds painful!  

16/11/2012 at 15:37

What is the knacker cracker??... dare I ask??!

Beautiful day here today, went for first run since marathon - just ran for 1hr 10min in forest at easy pace, have no idea how far I went, was just good to run without thinking about pace, distance etc... really enjoyed it!

Good luck for your races this weekend.. hope you will be feeling better soon Khanivore and your race goes well should you decide you feel up to entering it.

16/11/2012 at 15:43

Thx for all the get wells Cheered me up! I am mega frustrated at not being able to run today I am watching my calories consumed go up and i have no way to buy myself extra calories for dinner by running grrr.

Knacker Cracker is a 1st Jan 10k run in Surrey. It's very hilly The logo for the run is quite interesting

http://www.trionium.com/knackercracker/

16/11/2012 at 17:58

VR - Ta, i shall try and remember 5pm tomorrow

Emmy - Lol yeah downstairs room should be big enough once i move all the junk out of it. A nice job for tomorrow or sunday

16/11/2012 at 22:36

Emmy - I will be at the Christmas Enigma on the Sunday only.

Khanivore - Bedford Half is a nice race to do. Can be quite a quick course. They also give away great mementos (for everyone). I had a rugby shirt once and my daughter got a lightweight jacket last year. This year they have running backpacks and when they do Oakley 20 in the spring they always have sweatshirts .

I'm as bad as Shades for shoes. After a couple of years trying out everything (and not liking anything) I finally found some shoes to suit. Got a few pairs off the internet before they were completely discontinued. Found another similar style and have stocked up on them (different editions, so slightly different in finer details). Now have 10 pairs of shoes on the go - oldest ones with 1000miles on the clock - 2 pairs which I wear for walking or the gym and 2 new pairs still in their boxes . Means I rarely run in the same pair of shoes in a week. 

18/11/2012 at 11:49
Khanivore, did you run today?

Lovely frosty bright morning for a run. 13.5 miles and now recovering with cereal, peanut butter toast, bananas and coffee followed by a roast!
18/11/2012 at 14:47
13 miles for me this morning and it was a great morning to be out. There were loads of other runners out as well.

For those that know the area, I ran from Torquay to Goodrington and back with a few loops around Paignton Green to make up the miles. After last weekend's run which was cut short, I'm pleased with the run this morning.

Off out this afternoon where I may well have a nice mixed grill It has been known....

I have a bit going on at work next week so I'm probably going to run on different days than usual. Probably going to do 4ish mile easy on Monday, 5ish hill/speed session with the club on Wednesday, 8ish fartlek on Thursday and 10-12 slow on Sunday.
Edited: 18/11/2012 at 14:49
18/11/2012 at 22:08

Read my epic race report from my first half marathon! For those that can't be bothered, I smashed it! I finished the race in 01:53:07. I ran a little further than a half marathon as I ran wide around the corners on purpose to ensure I covered at least a half marathon distance. My half marathon time, according to Strava and my Garmin, is 01:52:53. Way faster than I expected.

The weather was amazing. The marshals were brilliant. The goody bag was tasty

http://ninjakhan.co.uk/2012/11/18/gosport-half-marathon/

18/11/2012 at 22:35

Congrats, there is no need to go wide however as the course will be right no matter what your garmin picks up I do the opposite and take the ultimate racing lines even if it means brushing thru bushes

18/11/2012 at 22:37
Keith I did that at croydon and at the end of the race I was just shy of 10k and strava would not recognise my PB
19/11/2012 at 07:55
Congratulations Khanivore, great race report and brilliant time. You must be so glad you were able to run in the end. Well done for sticking to your pace. Glad you had such a good day.
19/11/2012 at 07:57

Hi Khani- Question: was your cold completely cleared up? I agree with Keith - I'm always over on course routes as you never follow the most direct route. It looks like your 10km route was short.

@Mowser - I'm thinking of the christmas double but need to finalise some travel arrangements.

Does anyone know how Shades got on in Ireland?

I've had a mixed weekend. Had some lovely forest runs in France and took out '2 tours' of runners from our friend groups for 5 miles each time. Was really lovely.... and then yesterday afternoon - I came down with a sickness bug. I had to stop on the hard shoulder of the motorway back from France throwing up Hence to say -it's a rest day for me...

19/11/2012 at 08:01

Morning Shadies!
Fantastic Khani  Well done. I'll read your report later.

Keith - Lol! Brushing through the bushes! Thats how you do it is it?
Did you remember to enter Berlin?? Bet you didn't! 

Big G - Hope you enjoyed that mixed grill! and well done on your run, was a lovely day yesterday. Hope to make club on Wednesday too.

I got a course PB at the Cornish Marathon yesterday. Great running conditions and ran the whole way with a club mate. But my legs ache this morning. Arrrrghhh. 

I heard from Shades. She had terrible weather conditions in Ireland. Finished her 30 miler in 5.55. Well done Shades   

19/11/2012 at 08:02

Emmy sorry to hear about the sickness. That sounds horrible The forest runs on the other hand sound wonderful. I had a taste of running with others when i was running along chatting to that lady during the race. It was brilliant. You don't notice the time going away at all. I am really envious of people who run in pairs or in groups.

I was not sure I was 100% over the cold but now I am certain I was. It was chilly and I did not suffer any cold symptoms after the race whatsoever. I certainly had no cold-related muscle ache, breathing issues or hotness.

Slowkoala thanks  

VR - well done on the PB - FANTASTIC! You will need a while to read my report lol. I seem to ahve got carried away with it.

Shade's weather conditions sound EPIC! 

Edited: 19/11/2012 at 08:03
19/11/2012 at 08:06

VR - i did but site was dead to me..... So no i didn't enter.

Emmy - I seem to have survived Day 1.... Amusingly i was sweating more thru the stretching at the end then during it.

Khan - Garmins DO NOT measure accurate enough to be used for course measuring. No idea what Strava is but if you can manually edit distances simply change them to the correct one. I do the same local races every year and i have gotten a shorter and shorter garmin read out each time. CLocked 9,9 for the 10 mile one last time. Twisty bits confuse garmins.

19/11/2012 at 08:12

VR - Brushing through the bushes as in not going round those that stick out on the course or going very tight to the inside of bends with hedges. Obviously the ones you push me into dont count

Emmy - http://www.dorpsfeest-spaarndam.nl/ not got a clue what it says but it looks fun judging by this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmWLrJPxxL4 althugh i think i can make out there seems to be one lot for teenagers but some of the people in the vids are older??

19/11/2012 at 08:13

Keith ahh ok. Thanks for that. I did not know! Strava is just a website that uses the Garmin data. I will bear this in mind for future runs and take the Lewis Hamilton line. Some of my 'going round the outside' was fairly epic as sections of the track were 30 feet wide lol. Thanks again for the heads up. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.