Shades Marathon Training

57,901 to 57,920 of 67,652 messages
19/11/2012 at 09:46

@Bootsie - Crickey - I think i'd be shattered after 1hr of riding lessons! Well done on 4.5 miles - it's all miles in the bank!

19/11/2012 at 10:57

cheers Emmy, felt like junk miles but proud of myself for getting out!

19/11/2012 at 14:30

Well done Khanivore and VR on your fab results this weekend!!

Khanivore, really enjoyed your write up - agree strongly with not trying to pin on race number while panicking!!! Great result especially considering you were ill beforehand.

Emmy - hope your bug was just a 24hr one and is finished now.

Bootsie - I am of the firm opinion that a 4.5 mile through mucky fields is easily equivalent to 7 miles on tarmac   ..so well done you!

(This is just my personal theory and I have no scientific evidence whatsoever to back it up!!!)

19/11/2012 at 14:36

Thanks mamafox

19/11/2012 at 18:04

Emmy - My legs have ached all day.... Dont exactly use quads running i guess Only a dull sort of ache like after racing a half say so nothing to bad, yet.

Tomorrow should be fun with it before work then a run post work before dinnner and a quiz night. Looks like thursdays will be after work so hopefully cardio recovery is easier but i suspect not

19/11/2012 at 18:30
Keith - what day are you on?

I found day 3 to be the worst followed by the rest of the week!

@Mamafox - how are you getting on! I'm in complete agreement on the cross country... I ran a mile yesterday through the fields (I was being chased by a farmer at the time) and it definitely felt harder than road
19/11/2012 at 19:39

day 1 merely the fit test i was pleased to manage double figures for the push up ones.... Not surprised the leg ones were the best being i am a runner after all

19/11/2012 at 19:45
Let me see if I can find you my results from the fit test. Btw... I have the grey Tshirt they are all wearing in the video....
19/11/2012 at 19:51
Here you are:

Switch Kicks: 50 - 75
Power Jacks: 41 - 54
Power Knees: 69 - 143
Globe Jumps: 7 - 11
Suicide Jumps: 9 - 19
Push Up Jacks: 9 - 40
Low Plank Oblique: 32 - 64

Here's my top tips for Insanity:

- Always train with water and a towel
- Be aware of the floor that you're training on. Some floors are more "forgiving" than others. E.g. I had to do all of my jumps on a concrete fall and this was a little hard on my knees/feet
- For the first 3-4 days, you will ache and you'll need to make sure that you rest
- Seriously consider taking a protein shake if you plan to do anything other than insanity
- Do everything at your own pace and make sure that you keep your form right. There's no point rushing to keep up with the machines on the DVD -you'll just injure yourself.
- Really look at your diet. Your body will need more to fuel it but dont feed it with crap - I always felt the effect if I didnt eat properly.
- DIG DEEPER! There will be times when you want to give up... but stick with it!
19/11/2012 at 21:56

Counting isn't exactly easy... i think i miss counted the switch kicks and power knees, handily the slower ones are later on when you are too fecked to think

kinda shows jumping is a issue, that and push ups or planking although this should improve soon enough

i presume the second set is the end 60 day numbers? only doing a half round now as i'm buggered if i am doing it over xmas

so looking forward to going for a run after work tomorrow, not. Still a easy jog around may help with the aches

19/11/2012 at 22:14

Khanivore and VR - well done on your races

Khanivore - I  really enjoyed your race report. Pleased you enjoyed the whole experience, learnt from the experience and had a fantastic pb as well.

Well at least I had good weather on Sunday to 'do' Sundon Saunter with my eldest daughter in tow (she claims I bully her into doing these races - who me? ). I had done the other 2 events in this series in 5:30 to 6hrs, so thought we should do about 6:30. (Was advertised as 27mls, 27.3 in the instructions and my daughter clocked 28.4, although we didn't get lost once). Started off cold and frosty, but soon the sun was shining and we warmed up quite quickly. Had decided to take this event 'easy' (walk up hills etc) and all the other runners rapidly disappeared into the distance. Had a lovely first half, with beautiful countryside & fantastic views, really enjoyed it even though we took ages. Second half was not so good - too same-y with most instructions on the lines of 'X field, over stile, round edge of field, X footbridge, X field, over 2 stiles' etc. etc. And the MUD! Not too much of the slippy, slidy variety (although I was ankle deep a few times) - this was mainly the thick, clay type that sucked off your shoes at every step and clung resolutely to your trainers despite every effort to scrape it off on gates and fences. Between checkpoints 3 and 4 we could hardly walk! Thankfully after CP4 the ground became a bit firmer and we were able to run/shuffle to the finish. Thankfully, because by this time it was now almost dark - we took 7hrs 43m . Didn't feel so bad when I looked at the website today and found the fastest runner had taken 5hrs .

19/11/2012 at 22:26

cont....

Lovely refreshments at all checkpoints meant we stayed at them a little too long (eg cream cheese and chives wraps and hot apple pie with custard) and I had to text my youngest daughter a couple of times - and I'm soooo slow at texting - to see if she had let the dogs out. Slight knee niggle (usual one) returned after numerous flights of steps (yes, in the middle of nowhere) and constant undulations, but I found a big problem with my shoes - Inov 8s. These are the ones that I had to cut down the backs after they dug in my achilles at the Quadzilla. First the laces seemed to pinch the top of my foot, but even after loosening them it still hurt, and my little toe was squashed and my other toes felt like they were turning up. Eventually it felt like my foot was being twisted and the inside edge (of the foot) hurt at every step. Eased up quite a bit today with just walking around and able to go for a recovery run this evening without too much discomfort. Now contemplating what to do with the shoes - (they are still sitting in a plastic bag) - shall I attempt to scrape 3inch thick mud off them or should I throw them straight in the bin?

20/11/2012 at 07:20

Morning all - back from another great weekend in Ireland.   Really enjoyed my race despite the conditions. I might write a little race report later if I have time.

slowkoala - LOL at the shoes, tell OH how much money you are saving by not buying a 'latest range' pair

mowzer - I'm pleased you've got my shoe habit too!   Leave the muddy shoes to dry then bash the mud off them.

I've just found another pair of my GTS Adrenaline (unworn) in the back of my wardrobe so I'm alright for race shoes for a while.

Big G - good news on the run with no need to be rescued this time

Khanivore - well done, fantastic time for your first half, will read your report later.   Agree with others re Garmins, most over measure between 1 and 2 %.

Emmy - hope you're OK now

20/11/2012 at 07:41

Hi Mowser - Great race report. It sounds like a hard but enjoyable day.

@Shades - It sounds like a good weekend as well! Were the hills as bad as you expected?

I'm feeling a lot better this morning. I'm going to take another day of rest to be on the safe side

20/11/2012 at 08:15

Day 2 and still not dead Interestingly my arse hurt a little this morning before i did anything lol

Shall attempt a run later tonight too

20/11/2012 at 08:15

Emmy - the hill didn't look too bad and I did 13 laps before i started to have the odd few steps of walking.   But by lap 25 it did seem a tough slog.

Another day's rest is a good idea, you need to be eating normally and all fluids replaced before running again.

20/11/2012 at 08:38

Hi Mowzer, your race sounds really good... I do quite a lot of forest running and am interested in doing some organised trail runs, will def try and find one to enter over the winter.

Emmy - am intrigued by your account of being chased by a farmer.. sounds VERY interesting , did you go much faster?!  My morning runs are done at 6am when it is still dark... as I run through the forest  (on tarmac roads - not completely suicidal)  there is no light at all and I rely on the strip of sky between the trees to give me the general direction to go. I have a vivid imagination though and do find that the thought of a wild boar charging out of the dark and sinking a tusk into my leg has a remarkably positive effect on my circuit times!

Am back into running pretty much every day and am trying to increase the distance on my long runs. Want to find another couple of marathons to enter in the spring.. would like to do Ajaccio (Corsica) in February and maybe Montauban (nr Toulouse) in April. Montauban is the same day as the Paris marathon but although I love the idea of running Paris, inscription is 100 Euros now and I am also nervous of doing something so big  . Emmy, you mentioned Mont St Michel a while ago, is that any good?

Am toying with the idea of trying this insanity thing, but maybe getting bit carried away with self......

20/11/2012 at 09:55

insanity.. hmm dont think its a goer for me!

got out early this morning to ride my young horse.. missed the horrible wind thankfully! Then trip to the doctors to get my implant replaced.. nice big bandage on arm now! Finding my running time is being eaten into by my lovely horse but heyho!

will see about getting out for a run this evening only caveat being I can't get sweaty in case the stitches thingys get wet!

20/11/2012 at 17:32

bootsie - I won't be doing the Insanity either, short cut to injury and no real benefit to the running!

Khanivore - what a brilliant report.   You did so well especially with your pacing you're going to be a great marathon runner.   Pacing in a race is probably the toughest element to get right but you did it so well.

BTW, nothing wrong with eating the contents of your goody bag either, you deserved it.

My day has been busy and haven't had a chance to start my mini race report

21/11/2012 at 06:07
Woke up early for Pre work 10 mile run. It's pouring with rain. Decided to run after work even though I hate running in the evening. Forecast for evening is dry.

Should I have gone out in the rain?
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.