Shades Marathon Training

57,921 to 57,940 of 66,222 messages
20/11/2012 at 17:32

bootsie - I won't be doing the Insanity either, short cut to injury and no real benefit to the running!

Khanivore - what a brilliant report.   You did so well especially with your pacing you're going to be a great marathon runner.   Pacing in a race is probably the toughest element to get right but you did it so well.

BTW, nothing wrong with eating the contents of your goody bag either, you deserved it.

My day has been busy and haven't had a chance to start my mini race report

21/11/2012 at 06:07
Woke up early for Pre work 10 mile run. It's pouring with rain. Decided to run after work even though I hate running in the evening. Forecast for evening is dry.

Should I have gone out in the rain?
21/11/2012 at 06:39

Morning Khanivore - It doesn't matter that you didn't go out in the rain as long as you don't miss your run tonight.   It's good to sometimes run at different times of the day.

Raining here too.   How are the legs after your race,any aches and pains?

21/11/2012 at 08:05
Shades the legs are good today They were really really sore on Sunday night but were pretty good on Monday. Yesterday my plan called for a 4 mile tempo run which I had no problems with other than my lungs, as usual.

I hate leaving my run to the evening as I lack motivation after work. If it had been drizzling I would have gone out but it was really coming down hard.

Oh well, will try to get back early and get t done sooner than later

Out of interest if it is really pelting down and you do go for a run what would you wear?
21/11/2012 at 08:11

Khanivore - good news on the legs.

I don't like running evenings either.  You can always take a rest day and rejig the rest of the week's training, sometimes an extra rest day is OK too.

Re clothes only enough to keep warm, don't attempt to keep dry with loads of clothes as you'll just sweat and still end up soaked.   It's not too cold here today so I'd wear a gilet and a lightweight long sleeve top or skip the gilet and wear a warmer long sleeve top.   In rain layers will help so a long sleeve top with a running vest on top should keep your torso fairly warm and dry.   I usually wear gloves too but I'd rather wear gloves than a long sleeve top so just a preference of mine.

If it's windy so a possible wind chill factor, a light jacket.

And always a baseball cap to keep the rain out of my eyes

Edited: 21/11/2012 at 08:12
21/11/2012 at 09:10
Thanks Shades. That is exactly how I do it. Only difference is I wear a summer buff if its chilly to stop wind on my neck. I have a polar buff too but haven't used that for running.
21/11/2012 at 10:09

I'm bad on running evenings too.. horses mucked out in the rain this morning though.. may go on the treadmill this evening!!

21/11/2012 at 10:23
Not happy... Set off to do 8 mile easy run but had to come home after 4 miles due to runners trotts. Will avoid giving TMI but let's just say I've had to put my whole kit straight in the machine and jump in the shower! Oh the shame! Will never go on run after having All Bran crunch again. Does anyone take Imodium on race days? Always managed to get home just in time and had been at 6 this morning but must have digested breakfast very quickly ;(
21/11/2012 at 11:55

aww slowkoala that sucks! I used to but found i just needed to change diet

21/11/2012 at 13:23

Slowkoala - oh dear!   Lots of runners take Imodium on race days, some just as a precaution.  Fortunately I've never suffered from runners trotts.

It might have been something you ate yesterday.  

21/11/2012 at 14:37

Shades - you sent me the plan a few months back and I'm now getting ready to start training for VLM 2013.  However, I'm only just getting over an achilles problem.  Therefore, I've not got many (any) base miles to my name for the last 4-6 weeks.  In your expert opinion, will this become a problem if I start your plan as per the timetable in mid-December.

Thanks in advance !

21/11/2012 at 17:54

snapdragon - an achilles problem is not to be messed with so don't be tempted to do too much to soon.   Just ease yourself into the plan and do what is comfortable for you, so I suggest you err on the side of caution on the distance of the long runs until you're sure your injury is completely healed.   Caution with the tempo runs too, perhaps substitute for an easy run until you feel you can try a little faster stuff.

21/11/2012 at 22:42

Ooooh slowkoala that's a horrible thing to have to go through. I never get trotts but i have on a couple of occassions needed to 'go'. On the first occassion I was lucky as I was running loops near my house and I just popped in, did what i needed to do, and carried on my run. My wife was not quite sure what was going on and looked a little shocked The second time I was so desperate I wandered in to a builders merchants and asked the receptionsists if she would take pity on me and let me use the toilet, which thankfully she did. 

I now run with some toilet roll in my pocket! Haven't needed it since thank god. 

I ran after work in the dark today. Did a 10 mile mid week long run. The wind had died right down and it was not raining. I think I picked the only 2 hour window in the whole day when it was not raining and blustery! Lucky me!

I feel like I am coming down with ANOTHER cold! My little ones are sneezing away so it does not surprise me. I guess this is the cost of having two 3 year olds in kindergarten

Hope I am better in time for my 20 mile long slow run this weekend. 

22/11/2012 at 07:10

Khanivore - you were lucky with the weather for your run.   Hope the cold comes to nothing but don't worry you are well ahead in your marathon training.

Forecast bad here today again and I've just managed to have a rain free run too.  Nice and mild though

Where's Emmy?

22/11/2012 at 08:11

*waves* Hello Everyone. I did my first run of the week this morning. 4 miles gentle. It's the first run after the sickness bug and maybe i've been overcautious but I wanted to take it easy.

@Shades - I'm trying to work out what to do between now and January to tide me over/prepare for the double. I have a few 'tentative' marathons but i'm trying to work out what to do for midweek runs/LSRs. Any advice?

@Slowkoala - We've all been there... I've been caught short in the woods before  I don't take immodium but normally focus on my diet.

22/11/2012 at 08:19

Emmy - it's worth being a bit cautious after you've been ill.

Re training maybe do some longish runs at the weekends on consecutive days.   Say 10 miles on Sat and 15 miles on Sunday (or vice versa), not every weekend.    Although you need a good level of fitness (marathon fit) to do a double, what gets you through the 2nd day is your brain - determination to keep going and get to the finish.

22/11/2012 at 08:48
4 miles on Monday and the club session last night went well.

I normally run on Fridays but I'm supposed to be in London tomorrow so was planning on running today instead. However, all trains are cancelled from Exeter and looking at the forecast the prospect of getting to London tomorrow doesn't look great.

I'll still run today just incase I do get to travel tomorrow.

It's a funny thing that non-running friends don't seem to 'get'. My whole life is arranged around running it seems
22/11/2012 at 08:53

Hi Shades, Thanks for the advice. I'm going to give it a go this weekend (15,10) and see how I get on. Do you have a mental tricks for the 2nd day?

@Bootsie - my friends are the same... they can't quite 'get' that i've got running to do

Edited: 22/11/2012 at 08:54
22/11/2012 at 08:59

Emmy - You at Foxys Christmas double?

Big G - My daughter couldn't get into Exeter yesterday or today. Hope it improves soon. Well done on a good club session last night. At least it stayed dry! 

22/11/2012 at 09:10

Hi VR. I'm trying to work out if I can do it at the moment... the issue I have is time. We've booked to go to Barcelona from Tues-Fri... so I need to back in Belgium Monday night. Options are:

1) Drive over from Belgium (likely early on saturday morning) then run 2 marathons over the weekend and then head to my parents - sort and clear out 2 rooms to the dump on Monday and then head back to Belgium Monday night. I don't think it's realistic... even for me!

2) Run just saturday - spend two days at my parents helping them out and then come back Monday night as scheduled....

3) OR...... just spend the weekend there and dont run a marathon....

oh the dilemma 

There is also the possibility of a 'unofficial' marathon with RW the weekend after which would be nice.... but doesnt count to the 100.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.