Shades Marathon Training

57,961 to 57,980 of 67,839 messages
23/11/2012 at 07:24

Kettlecise was Fun!
Shades got a good ab workout as she was laughing too much 

Emmy - I thought Luxembourg was June 8th?

Well done Clag. Great report.
I have a half booked in March for a PB attempt. Eeeek!

Molly - Thanks for the forecast. I'll see if I can find some Italian news crews 

23/11/2012 at 08:17

VR - is that Bideford Half?

Khanivore - ease up for a couple of days

Back from Tesco's, lovely quiet time to shop there, just having a hasty breakfast then off to work

23/11/2012 at 09:22

Yes and I know its the same day as The Duchy!

23/11/2012 at 10:35

@VR - You're right - it's June 8th  I may have got a tad bit confused for months 

@Shades - That sounds like a great scene! You'll have to take some pictures of the three of you! Have a great time in Italy and I hope it's nice weather.

Awful weather here at the moment

23/11/2012 at 13:22

If anyone's interested in buying a Garmin - on Amazon they're doing mega deals at 50% and Garmin 310XT is going on offer at 2.45pm today but they run out quick as I was after a camera and didn't get one!

23/11/2012 at 13:44

Our work internet is rubbish, just lost my post on here

molly - slowkoala was asking about Garmins etc I think

23/11/2012 at 16:42
Thanks for the tip MM. I only just saw your post so missed out today but will keep looking as I know a friend bought three 110s earlier in the week.

Good luck to you all running in Florence this weekend, must be a really lovely time of year to visit.

Did a hilly 7.5 miles this morning with no bowel movements!
23/11/2012 at 17:18

Slowkoala - that's good news re your run...just an isolated episode we hope!

Yes, really looking forward to our trip to Florence

23/11/2012 at 18:09

Am signing off now as off to pack.

Back on line Tues night or Wed morning, good luck to anyone racing this weekend.

24/11/2012 at 18:05

The outside of my left knee was hurting (IT band I guess) for 1.5 days. Before bed I rolled around for just a few minutes on my 'The Grid' foam roller. I massaged the outside of my upper left leg - not where the pain was. The pain near the knee disappeared almost instantly and has not come back at all today. I really must use this thing more! 

Got my 20 mile run tomorrow. It has been peeing it down with rain today but forecast says there is a sunny spell tomorrow!!! First once since LAST Sunday when I did my last long run lol. I hope i get lucky.

Hope you guys got to Firenze ok and are enjoying the carbo loading there! Can't imagine a better place to do that Let me guess - pasta?

24/11/2012 at 18:24
Hi all,

Great news about the knee Khani. I'm doing it tonight on my hamstring.

I managed 15 miles today. Shocking weather today... I know tha our skin is waterproof but still!

Good luck to everyone racing tomorrow I'm wishing that I was with you!
25/11/2012 at 12:58
Hope everyone is surviving the rain and wind. Bet you lot in Florence are enjoying more pleasant conditions!

Khanivore, hope the 20 miler went ok. Sounds like the roller is working well for you. I have one that I use on my thighs but never really know if it's helping or not.

Emmy, have you used your roller for long? Well done on your 15 miles, the weather can really make it seem tougher.

I did 15.6 this morning. Lovely bright dry morning but plenty of huge puddles from the rain overnight. Longest I have ever run so kept it fairly easy at 8.5 minute/mile but still felt quite tough at times as a couple of big hills!
25/11/2012 at 13:11
Hi Slowkoala - yep. I've used it after every long run and feel a lot better.if I need help I ask my husband to do it and it hurts but it's better than tightness! Well done on the 15.6! What's the weather like with you?

I managed 9miles this morning. The wind was absolutely awful. I tried changing routes to avoid the run but it didn't work luckily it didn't rain but it was biting cold.

Good luck in Florence!
25/11/2012 at 13:42

I was excited at the prospect of doing my first 20 mile run this morning. I set off in lovely weather with clear blue skies. I ended up introducing way too many hills due to changing my course 3/4 of the way through the run. At 18 miles I was passing my house and quit.

I ended up running 18 miles at 9:59 min/mile but it was the 740 ft of elevation that probably hurt me. That and the fact that I was so close to home at 18 miles. I hate quitting. Feel so bad about it afterwards.

Next time I am going to take an energy gel before feeling even remotely tired and will pick a flatter route. I think I need to do the distance, gain the confidence, and then bring the hills back.

Mini Write Up: http://ninjakhan.co.uk/2012/11/25/failed-to-reach-the-distance/

Edited: 25/11/2012 at 13:42
25/11/2012 at 16:28
Emmy, weather here has been bright and windy today but not that cold.

Legs just feel a little stuff so going to try the foam roller tonight.

Khanivore, you shouldn't beat yourself up about only doing 18 miles! That's still a long run (further than I've ever run) and you have plenty of time to build up slowly before the marathon next year. Is it London you are doing, I've lost track of who is doing what! I'm starting the schedule in a couple of weeks so won't get to 20 miles until beginning of feb. Never tried gels but took 5 jelly babies on my run today which I ate around 10 miles. May be psychological but did feel like they gave me quite a boost! Which gels do you use?
25/11/2012 at 16:38
@Khani - don't beat yourself up. 18 miles is still 18 miles!! That's a lot longer than you used to be able to manage. 6 months ago could you see yourself running 18 miles a SUB 10 minute miling? Look at your achievements not the losses.

@Slowkoala - I've experimented with pretty much everything for fuel. I find sipping on a powergel a lot easier for me than other gels. I also like SiS but they're more expensiveif you like jelly babies - try making your own flapjacks - a great source for energy.

I've seen on FB tha VR has completed Florence. A great time as well!
25/11/2012 at 16:44
Hi Koala, it's only the second time I have taken a gel. The first time was on my 75 mile off road mountain bike ride. Both times I took a High 5 Plus energy gel with caffeine in it. Tasted nice. I am trying to lose weight so I have not been taking them. However, I think I will start taking them as I have read horror stories about people taking them in their race for the first time and getting cramps and diahorrea. Apparently different people do well with different brands.

Jelly babies are not placebo in my opinion. Haribo are standard energy food on all mountain bike rides I have been on Also most mail order stuff for my bikes had been accompanied by a free little bag of Haribo.

It is the London Marathon I am training for. I know I have a fair bit of time. I will not beat myself up over it but it would have been a big high to have got to 20 today as I suspect the next long run will be in the rain
25/11/2012 at 16:50
@Khani - I was one of those horror stories before my first half marathon that's why I triple test everything before race day.
26/11/2012 at 12:12

What are the guidelines on eating before and during a long run? During training I go v early in the morning so don't eat anything, even before a long run and feel fine... During my marathon I nibbled on a couple of sultanas after about 30k because I saw other people doing this and thought I probably should. I have never tried gels etc and would not know where to start.

Should I make myself eat something before?

Should I carry something sweet just in case?

26/11/2012 at 12:45

Hey Mamafox - I think it depends. I normally run 10-11 miles without food in the morning (first thing) but sometimes if i need it - i'll drink some ice tea (with sugar) along the way and it helps with the hunger pangs.

I think trying a few different gels (SiS, powerbar, high 5) is the best place to start. I only use them on my LSR (over 12 miles) and will take one every 30 minutes after 1hr of exercise so:

1hr: 1 gel
1hr 30: 2nd gel
2hr: flapjack or gel
2hr 30 : gel

Maybe try a banana before you go to see? Trial and error is the way forward.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.