Shades Marathon Training

58,001 to 58,020 of 66,704 messages
28/11/2012 at 13:25

For carrying gels here are a couple of options that I have - not that I have ever carried more than 1 gel lol:

http://www.spibelt.com/products/specialty-spibelt/spibelt-with-water-repellent-pocket-and-gel-loops - I have only ever carried one gel in this with my iphone in the pouch itself but it does have loops you can jam multiple gels in to around the belt (I think you can carry about six gels outside of the pouch itself). 

http://shop.camelbak.com/2012-delaney-race/d/50043_cl_1935 - i only use this for runs over 15 miles as I thought it might be wise to carry water for such distances. It has a bumbag on the front you can put whatever you want in, including gels. It also comes with two mini bottles that you can pour gels in to if you want and these sit on the front on either side of the bumbag.

The SPI belt is really unintrusive. You really don't know it is there at all. You wear it a bit lower than you might imagine and then it just seems to disappear.

Hope that helps.

28/11/2012 at 13:28

Khanivore - my next marathon is 20th Jan at Gloucester, I might do a shorter race before then but unlikely as I haven't really found anything suitable.   

Training plan is still work in progress but I will be building up my mileage to peak at 100 mpw a Xmas/NewYear as we have a shutdown at work and the time off gives me a chance to get some extra miles in.  Will drop back to 70 to 80 mpw after that.

It's very hard to run in strong windy conditions, one of my least favourite of weathers and it does make it hard to relax when battling with such conditions.

Slowkoala - stick with the jelly babies if they suit you, most gels are just sugar so a very expensive way of taking on the same ingredients as a few sweets.

Good idea to start early.   If you're doing Level 2, the mid week long run has a few miles at marathon pace.   All races should be run at race pace for that distance, i.e. half marathons at half marathon pace, only exception would be if race was very close to your marathon or you had a niggle/injury or were recovering from illness.

28/11/2012 at 13:30

@Slokoala - I have different 'methods' but check if you actually need gels. Jelly babies/wine gums/haribo might also work. Heres some ideas for tights.

1) in the back pouch of my tights. This makes the gel slightly warmer so even in winter it's not so 'gloopy' to get out.

2) Camelbak/bumbag/rucksack - depends on what works for you. I used to hate having anything around my waist but since using my camelbak - it's made a world of difference.

3) Wrapped in a headband around your arm/wrist. Easy access

4) Sellotaped to a bottle you're carrying. Simple and easy option.

When you run 16-18 miles you want something comfortable as possible that wont annoy you.

Edited: 28/11/2012 at 13:32
28/11/2012 at 13:32

Oh I didn't realise the mid week long run should be run at race pace for half marathon! I've been plodding in it

Should the weekend long run be at race pace too?

28/11/2012 at 13:35

*blush* I just clicked on the 'notes' tab for the first time 

28/11/2012 at 14:07
Shades....I'll still be starting the streak on the Saturday I've drastically reduced the booze intake recently but I'll be having a few on Saturday night. We're off to Prezzo in the evening where I expect I'll also have a portion of their fabulous Honeycomb Smash Cheesecake. Om nom nom.
28/11/2012 at 14:16
Thanks for all the tips re storing gels. I've never liked the idea of belts or ruck sacks so may try to squeeze one into my tights back pocket or into my iPod armband. Never carry water so couldnt go for the bottle option, but like the idea of attaching to a wrist band. For the moment though I'm enjoying the jelly babies! Only problem is that whenever I need them someone seems to have finished off the pack, despite me storing them very high up

Shades, I've checked your plan re paces for different runs. Can I just check, if the plan says 5m tempo, does this mean I actually run 7 miles (as 1 mile warming up and 1 mile cooling down) or do I do 3m temp + warming up and cooling down? Sorry to be so dense! And similarly for fartleck? (which is just like intervals but more random, right?!)
28/11/2012 at 14:28

now that i have read the notes page, those are actually very good questions lol. I was wondering the same thing.

29/11/2012 at 06:49

Khanivore - I think it's the last 3rd of the MWLR that is a marathon pace.   You are not the only one to not notice the Notes page!

Big G - so Sunday's run may be a shortish one?

Slowkoala - you can buy tiny bum bags, I bought one, Nathan ID, I think it's called, fits very snugly around the waist, big enough for 3 gels or a fair quanitity of sweets or a mobile, don't even know I'm wearing it.

If you're only taking a few sweets just put in a plastic bag and tuck into waistband of tights/shorts...you need to be wearing lycra though!

5 mile temp run, is 1 mile warm up, 3 miles at tempo pace, 1 mile cool down.  Fartlek is the same, measured from the start of run

29/11/2012 at 08:16

Shades - just reading back through the last few posts, you mention adding electrolytes to water.  I've been using Torq Energy for a couple of years, which has electrolytes.  It's a powder you add to water and comes in big tubs, but I was just wondering what you use?

29/11/2012 at 08:17
Phew! Thanks for confirming re tempo run, that sounds much more do-able!

On the MWLR I think it says first 5 miles at easy pace then next part at marathon pace which sounds good.

Will take a look at the tiny bum bags.

No running today which is good as feels FREEZING out there
29/11/2012 at 08:20

Big G - I use this http://www.eletewater.co.uk/index.php it's just electrolytes, no sugar.   I carry it in a tiny bottle and add a few drops to water provided during a race, maybe 3 times in a marathon.   I get stomach acid if I use sports drinks during a race.

29/11/2012 at 08:46

29/11/2012 at 08:47

Hmmmm......I'm wondering about the North Dorset Village marathon.  Any thoughts on that one, in terms of route profile etc?  It looks to get very good write ups for atmosphere/scenery/organisation etc. 

If (a big IF ), I sign up to that one it will mean Bideford Half in early March and then North Dorset Village marathon in early May.  That sounds achievable doesn't it?

So my aim would be to still target Bideford Half for a PB, and do a couple of 15-16 milers up to Bideford Half if possible, but then crack on for the full in May (if Bideford goes okay).  As I type, the aim of the Marathon would be to get around and try and enjoy it.  The first (and only) marathon I did, I didn't enjoy at all.  How does that sound?

29/11/2012 at 09:49

@Big G - I've heard a lot about the North Dorset Marathon and it's all been good. If you're 'around that area' have a look at the Giants Head marathon in June. There will be a large contigent from RW going.

I use hi-5 and nomally keep them in a little bag in my bumbag and add them if I need to water provided on the course (especially if its hot).

@Shades - Are you affected at all by the floods or bad weather?

Another numpty question #23433: I've got 2 weekends until the next marathon - are the following training runs completely stupid?

Remaining this week: Fri: 18 miles, Sat: 10 miles
Next week: 5,10,5,14 
Week after: 5,5,26.2 (optional 8 miler MWLR) 

Or am I pushing it too much?

We had our first team event yesterday evening and it was a great success! But I'm a little tired this morning!

29/11/2012 at 13:36

Big G - North Dorset is one of my favourite marathons and very popular with the Trotters now too.

You need to enjoy your next marathon, so aim and train for a good positive experience.

Emmy - that looks fine to me for your next couple of week's training, but back off if you feel you need to.

Team event?

Not personally affected by floods or any other weather, but very close to us.

29/11/2012 at 18:33

Fantastic trip to Florence. Beautiful city. Thanks, Shades & VR for your company .

Finally managed to get out for a recovery run. Left foot is still a bit sore (bruised?), but didn't hurt at all while I was running . I was a wimp to get out though because it has turned so cold. Tights now with jacket and gloves  - I want to hibernate until the Spring .

Shades - how are your niggles now?

Big G - North Dorset is a lovely marathon. Low key, early start, lots of people cheering you in at the finish. I've booked up to do it again this year.

30/11/2012 at 06:50

mowzer - and thank you for your company, it was a great trip wasn't it?   And I finally bought a handbag at the airport, for some bizare reason the shops at the airport were cheaper than anywhere else, even the coffee.

The top of my foot is still a bit sore to touch, I've not run and I'm feeling it less and less, did Kettlecise last night and it was fine.   I think mine is bruised too, although it's no longer discoloured.   Back running tomorrow as I'm doing a streak for December, better sign back on the RW Challenge too

I'm finding it so cold here too, was zero when I drove home from Kettlecise at 8pm last night and heavy frost on the cars now..

30/11/2012 at 10:26
Frosty cold morning - lovely day for tempo run. Managed 1 mile at 8m15, then 3 miles at 7m11 and then final mile at 8m. Felt good to be going at a faster pace after lots of slow runs. Now celebrating in the bath as I have now clocked over 1000 miles Won't seem much to lots of you but big milestone for me and seems good time to be starting the shades schedule next week.

Happy weekends.
30/11/2012 at 13:07

slowkoala - Congrats on reaching your 1,000 milestone, nice speedy tempo run too

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.