Shades Marathon Training

58,021 to 58,040 of 67,612 messages
30/11/2012 at 15:26

well done SlowKoala!! great news!

Tempo run today... did the first 3 miles in 24 mins 44 seconds (quite undulating too! first half of the reigate 10km course) then did the reminder a bit slower and finished 4.5 miles in 37 mins ish I think! Happy out with that

Horrible week here, my beautiful little horse cut her leg quite badly and had to have surgery on wednesday night. She is doing really well but not out of the woods yet so waiting until tomorrow to see if she needs more surgery

30/11/2012 at 19:01
15 miles after work so I'm pleased as it went well.

Pasta, meatballs and a nice bottle of red tonight
30/11/2012 at 19:28
Well done slowkoala! 1000 is still a fantastic achievement! I should really work out how many miles I've done too but I'm scared I'll get obsessed with ending the year on a 'good' number (1234, 2222 etc)..... Stupid I know

@Bootsie - sorry to hear about your horse I'll keep my fingers crossed for tomorrow

@BigG - that's a great run after work! The most I've ever managed is 10 miles. Enjoy the meal

I was off work today so after waiting in for postie headed out for a chilly 18miles. It was cold out there but luckily not too much wind.... Weird thing is? I'm aching more now than I normally am after a marathon!

@Shades - I organised a team event with all of our office to try and get some team spirit into the place... We really stuggle with it as our management is shockingly bad at caring for its people

What is everyone's plans for this weekend?
30/11/2012 at 21:47
Bootsie, just watched War Horse tonight, such a beautiful film. Really hope your horse is OK after having surgery. Fingers crossed she continues to get better and needs no more surgery.

Emmie, well done on the 18 miles. I'm also a bit obsessed with round numbers and have only recently managed to stop running up and down the road to round things off! I don't mind running in the cold but hate the wind and rain. Hope your legs feel better for the weekend.

Club session for me tomorrow and longish run on Sunday. In between,ots of carting boys to football, hockey and athletics. Then start schedule properly next week. Very excited
01/12/2012 at 11:35

Slowkoala - Well done on a 1000 miles. Sounds alot!

Emmy - 18 miles! Good work. I am NOT obsessed with numbers!

I've just come back from a hilly 10 miles with my club. Very cold but fun. 

01/12/2012 at 11:36

Happy Birthday Big G 

01/12/2012 at 12:27
Happy Birthday Big G!!!!!

Legs felt a little tender this morning so decided to see how my recovery run went.... Result? 8miles at higher than tempo pace.... :/ someone needs to tell my legs that they defy norms.... I feel much better though!

I had to stop half way as a dog was loose on a main road where cars were zooming down. No owner, no tags. Luckily I started banging on doors and someone knew who it belonged to. Apparently it's known for escaping from the house but no one knows how!

@Shades/BigG - did you start your streak today?
01/12/2012 at 13:19
Hi. Yes, I started my streak today Just an easy 1-miler this morning after yesterday evening's 15 miles. I'll probably do the same tomorrow and then back to normal training on Monday hopefully.

Thanks VR I'm off to the pub soon. I've been reliably informed that the local Wetherspoon has my favourite ale on.....O'Hanlon's Yellowhammer
01/12/2012 at 15:48
Ok... Just putting this one out there....

Can I persuade anyone with this trail race: cretes de spa. 30th march 2013. 2 options (53km or 21km) in the beautiful Belgian Ardennes?

21km costs 11EUR
53km costs 29EUR

For me it's a lot cheaper than Eco trail de Paris (75EUR) so thought I'd see if anyone else wants to join in. I can help with travel down from Brussels.

It looks to be a 'challenging course' but that's all of the fun, right?
01/12/2012 at 18:15

Any website to look at Emmy?

01/12/2012 at 19:17
Happy Birthday Big G! Hope you've had a good night at the pub. Good luck for your December streak, not sure I could manage running every day throughout Xmas.

Well done Emmy on the fast run. Weird how sometimes going faster can make your legs feel better.

Did a timed 5 miles with my club this morning in 35m 40s which is faster than my 10k pace but really helped having sometime to run behind and try and keep up with.
01/12/2012 at 19:59

Happy birthday Big G

Emmy - Is that easter weekend? Like VR got a link?

01/12/2012 at 21:19
http://sport.be.msn.com/cretesdespa/2013/nl/ here you are. I'm on my iPad so can't do a proper link. It's 29th march so not sure about relation to Easter. If you use google chrome - it'll translate the page for you. Alternatively - I'll be your babel fish!

@Slowkoala - you're a little speedy thing at the moment!
02/12/2012 at 08:01

bootsie - hope your horse recovers OK

Big G - belated Happy Birthday.  RW was broke when I logged on yesterday morning so couldn't post.  

Emmy - yes, am doing the December streak, 5 miles yesterday.   Haven't been out yet today as we had rain yesterday evening and it's frozen and the roads and pavements look a bit dicey, forecast is to warm up so will go out later.

Well done on your 18 miler in the cold and your subsequent 8 miler!

Slowkoala - that is speedy, I think you have a lot of PB's to look forward to.  

I love running every day over the Xmas hols as I'm not at work so more recovery time available.   I particularly love running on Xmas morning

02/12/2012 at 11:52

I went out yesterday for my birthday and had a few drinks and a nice meal out.  I have reduced my alcohol intake a lot recently, so yesterday was an exception to the norm.  It was a great day out though, and the meal (King Prawns, chicken in a mushroom sauce with chips and potato gratin and an awesome after-dinner mint cheesecake) and drinks (a few nice ales and some Peroni) went down very nicely.

This morning though I felt fine, and I went out and did a fast (for me) 4 mile run in 30min 27secs.  This is quite quick for me (7:36 min/mile) but it gives me another target to see if I can under 30mins for that same route over the next few weeks.  I enjoyed the run and I guess these are the type of runs I need to do (as well as the LSRs) if I want to get to my 1:45min half marathon goal in March.  I enjoyed the run though, and feel invigorated

I'm off out to do the weekly shop now...the worst couple of hours of the whole week

03/12/2012 at 06:51
Shades - quick question re paces. I put my recent half time into McMillan. The pacing range is far broader than last time I used it with easy being around 8:40-9:40 and long being 8:40-10:00. I'm confused as 8:40 would be marathon pace (on an outstandingly good day where I smash my PB to smithereens!

Another concern is that I e-mailed my plan to the club coach. He's recommended sticking with my easy Tuesday but alternating between easy and hill reps. Wednesday easy building to MWLR as per the plan, Thursday reps and Sunday long run. However, he thinks I should ditch the parkrun in favour of an easy run to ensure I'm fit for Sunday (racing every week is not good). This means I've no tempo run though. Is this an issue?

I'm going to fit in a half in February and 10 mile race in March (health and fitness permitting).
03/12/2012 at 07:10

Clag - I know, McMillan has changed his pacing calculations and I think for long runs they are far too fast at the faster end of the pace.   It's fine to run the slowest pace for the long run, for some reason everyone thinks they should aim at the fastest advised pace, in fact they shouldn't and would improve more if they aimed for middle or slowest pace advised.  

Having no tempo run isn't problem as you still have intervals or hill reps which are a speed session.    You can race a 5k every week if you wish as long as you're fit and well, up to you.

Big G - hope you survived the shop, I wouldn't venture food shopping on a Sunday, so busy.

No frost and ice today, lovely.   

Car service and MOT today

03/12/2012 at 07:30

Morning all,

@Shades - good luck for your car service and MOT.

It's snowing here today. I stepped outside and saw the large amount of ice on the road and decided to be safer. It looks like it caught the council off guard too as they've not gritted any of the roads 

How is everyone else getting on?

03/12/2012 at 07:31
Thanks Shades!

Hope your car gets a clean bill of health.
03/12/2012 at 09:10

hiya horse doing well and may come home tomorrow!

did 8 miles yesterday.. ish.. no garmin so no real idea of how far or what time.  Kinda enjoyed that! Intervals today!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.