Shades Marathon Training

58,041 to 58,060 of 67,216 messages
03/12/2012 at 14:34
So glad to hear about your horse, Bootsie, that's great news. ????
Well done on the 8 miles without garmin, how liberating!

13 miles for me yesterday which went well as although v cold there was no wind or rain.

Starting schedule tomorrow which means early morning run. Do any of you wear head torches or flashing lights? It seems so dark at 630
03/12/2012 at 14:35
Btw the ???? was s'posed to be a lovely horse pic!
03/12/2012 at 14:37

that's great news Bootsie!

@Slowkoala - i've tried a headlamp but i've not found one I like. I'm going out tonight after work to see how I get on! here's begging that it's not too icy out there.. :/

03/12/2012 at 14:46

*cough cough* as someone mentioned it earlier and at the risk of being told to bugger off

PLUGGYPLUGGYPLUGGY

MY GREAT MARATHON RACE THINGY

Edited: 03/12/2012 at 14:47
03/12/2012 at 18:12

bootsie - that's great news about your horse

Slowkoala - no, I tend to run where it's street lit in the dark.   I've just bought a head torch but haven't used it.

Hi goldbeetle - looks lovely but not for me, I'm strictly road.   I'm sure you might be able to tempt somebody on this thread.

03/12/2012 at 19:01
Day 3 of the streak done after work. I did the same 4 mile route as yesterday but averaged 9min/mile rather than 7:40ish. I did put 4x30sec sprints in to liven things up a bit as well

Emmy, tell me to my mind my own business but do you work in IT? You sometimes mention techy-type things so I was just wondering. I'm an IT Project Manager currently. I started as a software engineer after Uni in 1999 (working on large Oracle DBs) but went into project management a few years ago. I've recently moved to the customer side of things rather than the supplier side, but still involved in IT. If this all means nothing, please ignore
03/12/2012 at 20:17

Evening all,

Goldbeetle - You're hopeless plugging will get you everywhere I would like to tell everyone that i'll be gracing this race... i've heard that there's a cracking beer at the finish

@Shades - how did the car get on?

@Big_G - You are correct. I'm an IT Project Manager, too I'm managing the deployment of our product at clients and focusing on the end to end requirements etc. Luckily, I don't develop - I just do the project work. Recently i've been given the 'difficult' ones so it's more crap handling than i'd like but it's all experience.

As i'm off to Frankfurt for the day (hello, Christmas Markets...) I ran 5 miles after work... considering how tired I thought I felt - i knocked out another PB.... someone needs to have a look at my legs - there's something not right here

Has anyone heard from Khani? or Molly?

03/12/2012 at 23:56

Emmy you are quite right we have beer, cider and now, my almost famous Lemonyvodkacello which I have to bring along thanks T.Mouse et al.

04/12/2012 at 07:13

Big G - I'm still with you on the December streak too, but I haven't done much more than 5 miles a day as being cautious with a niggle in my foot.   However I think I'll start to increase the mileage tomorrow, only by a mile or so.

Emmy - car is fine, passed it's MOT but needs some work done in the next couple of months and a couple of new tyres.   I've spent very little on this car in the 6 years I've had it so can't complain really.

04/12/2012 at 08:56
Shades...good news you're on the streak and your foot isn't too bad. I'm just doing 'normal' miles for me, with my days off getting the extra one mile in. I've got a mile mile loop I can do from my road so it's not too bad.

This week I'm planning the following. If it gets icy this plan will be scuppered but as long as I can get to the gym I'll keep the streak going (but not the mileage).
Mon - 4 miles (completed)
Tues - 1 mile
Weds - club session where I do the hill/speed session. It's usually around 5 miles
Thurs - 1 mile
Fri - 8 miles
Sat - 1 mile
Sun - 10 - 15ish

Regarding cars, one of my other little hobbies is a car I have that I built myself (it's a Caterham). This does need tinkering with a lot but I enjoy it. I built the car in 2008 and it does very few miles a year. Actually, this year (with the appalling weather) for the first time I have started to think about selling it but I would be reluctant to do that really....However I did less than 500 miles in it this year!
Edited: 04/12/2012 at 08:57
04/12/2012 at 09:43

running going pants cause of sick horse! Supposed to be doing intervals at lunchtime today but need to leave work early to pick my lady up from hospital and bring her home.  Will try and get out this evening depending on what time and stress levels when i get back!

04/12/2012 at 13:01

intervals done, last 200m at 6:08 min mile!

04/12/2012 at 17:41

bootsie - you'll be glad to get your horse home.

Big G - let's hope we don't get any ice otherwise I'll have to get down the gym and as yet I've never run on a treadmill

You probably run more miles than you drive in your car.

Re cars, my car is going back to the garage on Friday as I discovered this morning that they'd failed to wash it and hoover the inside.  Car valeter has had a bollocking from his boss and my car will be collected on Friday for a valet then returned to me later

04/12/2012 at 18:02
Bootsie, you've been having a (night) MARE with that horse!! Well done on the intervals though, very speedy finish.

Easy 5 miles for me at 630 this morning, dark and a bit icy. Didn't need a head torch, think I just like the idea of buying new gear.

Shades, I've never been to a gym in my life so have never run on a treadmill either. Here's hoping the ice stays away.
05/12/2012 at 06:53

Slowkoala - LOL at the idea of buying new kit!

I have a gym membership and plan to start going back on a regular basis now that I'm home for the next few weeks and have no races.   But I only intend to use the treadmill if it's too icy to run outside.

05/12/2012 at 14:46
Shades, quick question re easy pace. Are the McMillan ones on the fast side? They suggest 7m55 to 8m55 and a marathon pace of 7m54. But the shades schedule says easy pace should be 30-60s faster than MP. If I do around 8m10 for my easy pace runs, is that ok or would I be better going slower?
05/12/2012 at 17:39

Slowkoala - that's a typo in my notes.  Where I've typed 'less' it should say  'plus', sorry I haven't got round to fixing it.

I was looking at the McMillan pace calculator today and the paces are just too fast, as a temporary measure until I find a good alternative I've added 30 secs to the lower end pace for the long runs.  e.g McM says 7.58 to 9.14, I'm suggesting 8.30 to 9.30 min/miles.

For easy runs I'm adding 10 secs to the lower pace and restricting the range to 30 secs  e.g. 7.53 to 8.55, I'm suggesting 8.25 to 8.55 min/miles.

Does that make sense?

05/12/2012 at 17:45
Thanks Shades, I'd understood your schedule fine (think that was my typo saying easy should be faster rather than slower than marathon pace) but agree the McMillan paces seem a bit fast. Will aim for the 8.20s next time as don't want to wear myself out,

Enquiried today about joining local gym for a couple of months so I have the option of using treadmill when (if) it snows but monthly fee is around ??60. They said they might be able to do better deal if I go and see them.
05/12/2012 at 17:51

Slowkoala - that's a pricey fee.  As you only want it should it be too bad to run you might be better paying by session.

I only pay £12 a month to a small gym as I joined as part of a government scheme to get folks off the sofa and leading a fitter lifestyle...it was first come first serve so the fact I'm a marathon runner was irrelevant.   Anyway at £12 a month I don't feel so guilty when I don't go there.

05/12/2012 at 19:58
I agree slowkoala - that's a bit hefty... Is it David Lloyd? I pay 16???.a month but I do associate with the chav district of my local area whilst I'm there!

I was aiming for a run tonight but the snow has got the better of me. 2 near accidents on the way home and I think I need a stiff drink rather than a run!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.