Shades Marathon Training

58,061 to 58,080 of 66,253 messages
05/12/2012 at 17:51

Slowkoala - that's a pricey fee.  As you only want it should it be too bad to run you might be better paying by session.

I only pay £12 a month to a small gym as I joined as part of a government scheme to get folks off the sofa and leading a fitter lifestyle...it was first come first serve so the fact I'm a marathon runner was irrelevant.   Anyway at £12 a month I don't feel so guilty when I don't go there.

05/12/2012 at 19:58
I agree slowkoala - that's a bit hefty... Is it David Lloyd? I pay 16???.a month but I do associate with the chav district of my local area whilst I'm there!

I was aiming for a run tonight but the snow has got the better of me. 2 near accidents on the way home and I think I need a stiff drink rather than a run!
05/12/2012 at 21:49
I think you get better gym deals if you sign up for a year rather than pay monthly. Don't think I can pay per session at this one (fitness first) but will see if I can haggle. Sometimes they do good offers over the new year so will watch out, but this one is really.convenient as only about 10 mins walk.

Emmy, how much snow do you have? We have none but it was icy this morning. Managed 7 miles and enjoyed ticking it off my schedule!
06/12/2012 at 07:10

Emmy - sometimes you just have to ditch a run if conditions are too bad.

Re your Xmas name, I have visions of you doing all your runs wearing a pair of antlers

Slowkoala - I doubt FF will do a deal they want folk to sign up, paying by DD on a rolling membership which in some gyms can be difficult to get out of.

Very cold and frosty this morning, I hate this weather.

06/12/2012 at 08:01

@Shades - I'm with you on that one. I'm going to try and work from home to get a run in at lunchtime (when it should be the warmest time of the day). It's an icerink out there at the moment and i'm scared of getting an injury.

You mention me wearing antlers... for the enigma christmas marathon -i'll be dressed up as a christmas tree

Edited: 06/12/2012 at 08:02
06/12/2012 at 08:11
Well, I ticked day 5 off of the streak yesterday evening. It was a club session and one I hadn't done before. It was a 'lamp post shuttle' session which I enjoyed....it was cold though, even though I was working hard! With the warm up etc it ended up being 5 miles.
06/12/2012 at 08:13
And.....the great news is that my avatar has finally been updated
06/12/2012 at 08:17

Emmy - LOL at the Xmas tree outfit.

Big G - nice avatar.

I've logged my miles on the RW/Fetch Challenge, have you joined?

06/12/2012 at 08:49
Shades, no - I hadn't seen that. I had a quick search but couldn't see it either. Could you post a link and I'll take a look.
06/12/2012 at 13:08

Big G - this is the thread http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/general-running/rw-v-fetch-june-running-challenge/193076-54.html

post on there and they'll give you the link to the mileage log...it's on my PC at home.

We try to beat those Fetchies each month, although I've dropped out for the past few months but when you're doing a streak it's an added incentive knowing you have to log your mileage daily.

06/12/2012 at 21:39

Hi Shades, thanks for sending me your plan and following this up with specific pace plans for me. I've just reformatted the spreadsheet to make it fit my fridge - and I'm really looking forward to working the plan. I'll start it next week as I'll lose a week when skiing and want to do all 18 weeks.

A quick question, I have 2 HMs lined up for 2013 that coincide with the Sunday Long 20 milers in Feb and March, how should I mod the plan? Switch the 2 x 14 milers for the 20s to enusre I keep the mileage up? Or increase mileage across all Sunday runs to accomodate the reduction (of the 2 races?)

Thanks, Tim 

07/12/2012 at 07:17

RR - It is important that you do some long runs of 20 miles, it's a significant distance, physically and mentally will prepare you for the marathon

If you are doing Level 1 then swop the step back weeks, the 14 milers for the 20 milers.   If you are doing Level 2 you only need to do this with one of the runs as there is a long run of 22 miles,  so missing one 20 miler won 't have such a impact on your training.   A half marathon is equivalent roughly to a 15 or 16 mile long run in the effort required.

Wild and windy today, not very pleasant but better than tha nasty ice and frost.

I found Kettlecise tough last night, VR was flinging an 8kg kettlebell around, I'm still on a 4kg.   Since I dropped to only one session a week I've really noticed a decline in my fitness...extra sessions already booked for the next few weeks

Edited: 07/12/2012 at 07:19
07/12/2012 at 07:53

Thanks Shades, it is Level 2, so I'll swap a 14 with the 20 (that coincides with the HM) to keep my mileage up. Many thanks...

"wild and windy" - sounds like my youth

07/12/2012 at 08:01
Morning Shadies, if I could show you a picture of outside of my window it's a winter wonderland! Lots of snow (and ice).

Went for a 5 miler last night and because I was running a little "bunched" up I've got a few odd aches. Am planning to do my LSR today around lunch in the hope that it'll be warmer...

@Shades - do you feel a lot better in your core with the kettlecise?

How is everyone else getting on?
07/12/2012 at 08:22
Rattler Rattler wrote (see)

"wild and windy" - sounds like my youth

RR - LOL

Emmy - I just heard on the radio that you had heavy snow over there and UK flights are affected.  I can't run comfortably in the cold and ice either, makes me tense my muscles

Re Kettlecise, I did but has worn off a bit when I dropped to one session a week.   Next week I have 2 Kettlecise sessions and one Supertone.  

In the new year they're starting this http://www.venningfitness.co.uk/what-we-offer/bokwa-is-coming/

looks like fun

07/12/2012 at 08:36
Ooh - that's looks interesting! I wish my gym would offer some classes like that!

That's my one worry I guess. I want to get in my long runs but don't want to injure myself because I'm running differently/ more awkwardly. If I could commit to running the time on a treadmill I could consider that but my gym has a 30 min rule that they implement quite strictly... Must stop complaining
07/12/2012 at 08:52
Personally, I can't run for long on a treadmill. Anything longer than about 30mins I start going delirious with boredom. Also, although my gym does have some aircon I get very hot.

I saw a very sad running sight yesterday. One runner with his two dogs (off the lead) were running up a hilly lane. The elite looking man and his whippet were bouncing along at the top. The slightly overweight labrador was looking thoroughly miserable at the bottom....
07/12/2012 at 10:24

Ballycotton 10 online entries open today!!! fingers crossed!

did intervals last night.. 10 * 1 min with alternating rests of 30seconds/1 min.. got up to 15.5 on the treadmill !!

07/12/2012 at 11:05

I was gearing myself up for a squashed dog under a car ending Big G!! Phew.
Poor labrador They do like their food!

I think I'm paying for lifting a heavier weight last night at Kettlecise. I tweaked my back dancing first thing with the radio on.  Damn.

Emmy - Cant you put a pic on here of the snowy scene?

07/12/2012 at 13:35

VR - I tweaked my back too last night but don't have the heavier weight excuse!  Is OK but was sore by end of my run

Big G - I feel for the overweight labrador

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.