Shades Marathon Training

58,081 to 58,100 of 66,427 messages
07/12/2012 at 14:52
Hi all,
@VR - I'd love to post a picture but I'm on the iPad and can just about reply to threads on here without problems... I wish that they'd update their UI so I can actually use this website properly on my iPad.

@Shades - I think you're right. I'm going to do some decent stretching today. I was kindly given some stretching notes and ideas from someone at work so am trying those out. Have you looked at Bristol for flights to Berlin? Or alternatively have a look a skyscanner.net for different routes/airlines that might work.

When I get on a proper computer I'll let you know.

I did 10 miles as I combined it with some other errands I needed to run... Cold and my hamstring didn't like it but am happy that it didn't feel like too much of an effort. I was definitely slower as I was more cautious but overall - it was ok.

Today is mince pie attempt #1.... I offered to show some colleagues what 'real' English mince pies tasted like (they thought meat was involved) so I have a relaxed evening in the kitchen ahead of me.
07/12/2012 at 17:20
Hope everyone is surviving the cold and Emmy the snow.

5 mile temp for me today which I really enjoyed except my ankle hurt at the end. Nothing serious, just bruised, I think it's as my new trainers are quite stiff around the ankle and may be rubbing a bit. Will try wearing another pair this weekend.

Shades, you were right re gym, they've said I can have rest of December for free and the 60 quid a month for jan and feb! And still need to pay a 30 quid induction when all I want to use is the treadmill! Doesn't seem worth it. I have membership of a local pool which has a gym so may try there but it's a drive rather than a walk.

Do any of you wear different shoes when it's icy or snowy?
08/12/2012 at 06:47

Emmy - I tried skyscanner and the only cheaper flights are the London airports which is extra cost and time for us so Brum looks the best option, will book this weekend.

Hope the mince pies were OK, they're not easy to make as the mincemeat boils so quickly.  Small amounts of mincemeat and rich pastry is probably best.   I don't eat them much but am happy to eat bought ones.

Slowkoala - hope the ankle is OK. 

Re the gym, that's a better offer and if we were going to have weeks of ice and snow would be worth it.   Let's hope we don't have weather like that.

I have the cleanest car in town, garage came and took car away for a good clean, they even washed the tyres.

Shopping etc today

08/12/2012 at 06:49

Slowkoala - no, don't have special shoes but probably choose ones with the best soles.  

I have a pair of spikes but they are for walking to work in the ice should i need them, so far unworn

08/12/2012 at 08:07
Morning,

Slowkoala, I joined the gym this week. Got mine for ??21 a month as it's a local authority deal. Not bad though as I can use any of the gyms or pools.

Went to my local one for work on Tuesday. Quite a few blokes in, one of whom nipped out the fire door regularly for a fag! Met the staff in the corridor on the way out and complained. They then caught him in the act, so hopefully that's been knocked on the head. Bit of a poor do if you can't go without for an hour while exercising!

Been a bit snowy here. Wednesday was fab. Lots of crispy snow and a lovely evening run - I wear yaktrax on my shoes Slowkoala and they're grand. In combo with the sealskinz socks I have dry and cosy feet. Should've run on Thursday but was feeling lazy, so went to the treadmill instead and did reps. So much easier than doing the same distance at an even pace in the gym. Meeting a friend for an easy 5 this morning, then off to do a 10 mile Turkey Trot tomorrow. Don't plan to race - just going to use it as a training run with company.

Emmy - hope the mince pies turned out well.

Shades - glad to hear the car's okay.
09/12/2012 at 07:26

Clag - your training is going well.   Gym membership is a good idea as you usually get quite a bit of ice and snow that far north.

No frost here today, so looking forward to my run later today.

09/12/2012 at 07:39

I'm going on a santa run with the girls from my club. Hired a coach and pub!

Morning

09/12/2012 at 08:18

VR - Wow - you've hired a whole pub.....must be a Trotters outing!

I'm booking my Berlin flight today

09/12/2012 at 10:11
Hope you've all enjoyed your Santa runs and turkey trots...sounds like the bowel movements I was getting the other week!

Clag, you're all dead lucky to get such good gym deals. As my one is quite dear and as I'm in the south east where the weather isn't too bad, going to chance it and pay per session (10 quid, ouch!) if and when I needed to.

13 miles today, quite mild morning. Ankle hurt a bit 3 miles in and at the end so icing it now and then ibuprofen and bath. Thinking maybe should rest for week and just wear ballet pumps but don't want to
09/12/2012 at 12:58

15 miles for me today, including about 6 miles off road in some lovely squelchy mud.

I'm still on my streak as well, so hopefully I can keep it up

09/12/2012 at 18:40
10/12/2012 at 07:09

Slowkoala - what's the problem with your ankle?   Might be an idea to ease up for a few days.

Big G - am still streaking too, was tired yesterday but had a great run today.

Keith - are you going for the 100 miles?

10/12/2012 at 07:12

Emmy - are you still snowed in?

Berlin flight booked

10/12/2012 at 07:55
Shades, I seem to have bruised it on one of the knobbly bones of my inner left ankle. Not the big bone but the small round one below. I thought it was where it has rubbed on my new trainers as I can't really feel it when I'm not wearing shoes. Not due a run till tomorrow night so will see how it feels then.

Glad the streaking's going well!
10/12/2012 at 08:15

If it's a bit of bruising it will heal, but probably not very quickly.   You could put a light strapping on it when you run to stop it rubbing against your shoe.

10/12/2012 at 08:35

One thing I didn't mention previously is the weight loss I have on a single run.  Before I did my 15miler on Sunday I weighed myself and I was 13st 2 (approx 83.5kg).  When I got back I was 12st 12 (approx 81.5kg).  I've always been like this and I'm guessing it's fluid related but I was wondering if anyone else fluctuated like this? I should add that on the run I generally felt fine, and I considered it a strong and steady run.

On the run, I took a 650ml bottle with me (which I drank all of whilst out).  When I got back I downed a pint of lemon and barley and then a pint of water 30mins or so later.  I felt thirsty most of the day and drank lots more though the day (mainly water).  Again, this is normal for me.

If I am to do anything longer I think I'm going to need something bigger for any longer distances.  I can't get on with Camelbaks so I'm going to get a Nathan 2 650-ml bottle holder belt.  I know it's extra weight, but I think I'm going to go for it.  I currently use a Nathan belt that carries 1 650ml bottle and I get on with it well.

I am a bit conflicted though because I know a lot of people go out for a half marathon and don't need or take any water/fluid.  I've never been like that and always feel the need to take on fluid, so I suppose everyone is different.  Even as a kid when I used to play basketball I always needed lots of water compared with my team mates.

10/12/2012 at 10:05

Morning all,

@Shades - Luckily all of the snow has melted! It's 4'c here and raining so back to normal! I was in Cologne at the weekend and it was -6, snowing and really really cold. I tried a run but fell over 200m from a friend's place so decided it wasnt the best option!

I've been out this morning for a 5 miler and feel ok so no damage has been done.

@Big_G - it's normal for me on a long run to lose 3-4kgs. It really depends on the temperature/distance for me. I can run 12 miles in winter without any water/fluid but in summer i'll need around litre on my 15 milers. I normally take a small bit of money and buy from a supermarket along the way. It's a training thing Ive found as I never used to be able to run 5 milers without a drink - and now it doesnt even occur to me to bring a drink.

@Slowkoala - I hope that you're feeling better today?

10/12/2012 at 10:59

morning all! 10km done this weekend in 52:20!! delighted! started out as just a long run but upped the pace, with a 2 mile cool down :- )

10/12/2012 at 13:25

Big G - our fluid needs differ but I never bother unless I get to 12 miles or so, maybe 15 in cold weather.   But I do always drink before I run.   But for longer runs I take a 500 ml bottle and if I need more I top up from a tap or buy from a shop/garage.

A kilo of weight lost on a run needs to be replaced by a litre of fluid.   I would advise drinking a litre before you set off.

Many runners now drink too much especially during races.   When I was coaching used to have to stop runners taking water with them when they were only running for an hour.  It becomes a security blanket thing.

Emmy - good news the snow has gone and you're back in plus temps, we're forecast a cold spell starting tonight, but no snow hopefully.

bootsie - speedy running

10/12/2012 at 14:44
Big G, think fluid must be an individual thing. I've never ever taken any fluids whilst training and even when I came back from my 15 mile run the other week, I didnt feel that thirsty (but did force myself to have something). On the few occasions I have weighed myself after a run, I don't seem to lose any weight, weirdly! Ive only had the odd sip of water at races because i feel i should.But would have thought that if you are losing lots, that's a sign that you do need more fluids.

Shades, thanks for advice re ankle. Annoying thing is that I don't feel it most of time but you're right, it will probably take a while to heal. May try taking the trainers back as sweatshop offer a 30 day return, even if worn outside.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.