Shades Marathon Training

58,101 to 58,120 of 66,169 messages
10/12/2012 at 13:25

Big G - our fluid needs differ but I never bother unless I get to 12 miles or so, maybe 15 in cold weather.   But I do always drink before I run.   But for longer runs I take a 500 ml bottle and if I need more I top up from a tap or buy from a shop/garage.

A kilo of weight lost on a run needs to be replaced by a litre of fluid.   I would advise drinking a litre before you set off.

Many runners now drink too much especially during races.   When I was coaching used to have to stop runners taking water with them when they were only running for an hour.  It becomes a security blanket thing.

Emmy - good news the snow has gone and you're back in plus temps, we're forecast a cold spell starting tonight, but no snow hopefully.

bootsie - speedy running

10/12/2012 at 14:44
Big G, think fluid must be an individual thing. I've never ever taken any fluids whilst training and even when I came back from my 15 mile run the other week, I didnt feel that thirsty (but did force myself to have something). On the few occasions I have weighed myself after a run, I don't seem to lose any weight, weirdly! Ive only had the odd sip of water at races because i feel i should.But would have thought that if you are losing lots, that's a sign that you do need more fluids.

Shades, thanks for advice re ankle. Annoying thing is that I don't feel it most of time but you're right, it will probably take a while to heal. May try taking the trainers back as sweatshop offer a 30 day return, even if worn outside.
10/12/2012 at 15:35

I dont drink a whole lot running either.. prob nothing for under 10miles but echo Shades in that I drink just before the run

2.3 miles done at lunch. Shoulder and upper back gone into spasm.  Think its due to heavy lifting around the yard but home for a hot bath i think

10/12/2012 at 16:10

Wish i was Big G Then I'd be size 8 and a racing snake. I've never lost weight running and don't drink much either unless its really hot.

I remember what Shades said once. "If we were horses (refering to me and her) we'd be 'good doers' Like Welsh Cobs! Its true!  We could live on fresh air!

Well done Bootsie on your PB!!

10/12/2012 at 16:25

cheers VR!! !

10/12/2012 at 19:16

Shades - Yes it was the 100 i was looking at, minor drawback is week after would be Enigma summer triple alas. 100 miler one week then 30 and mara sat and mara sun of week after might be a tad to much. Also pondering G2E week after easter as well which is 56 miles.

I thought you were meant to drink 50% more than what you loss thru sweat as not everything you drink stays in.

Speakign of drinking i might of had one or two too many on thursday at the Union AGM Two of us were on white whilst the rest were on red with the meal and i did ask where we sharing one bottle at a time to be told no thats yours this is mine. So i was kinda forced to have the whole bottle to myself. Then there was another oh 5-6 hours worth of drinking afterwards too

Seems to avoid hangover drink plenty of water too during the night and also sleep for 3-4 hours only and resume water consumption the day after That and a HUGE fry up for brekkie.

10/12/2012 at 19:22
VR - I should add that the weight doesn't stay off!! If I had checked today I have no doubt it would have been back to where it was before the run.
11/12/2012 at 07:08

VR - we don't lose weight because we're good eaters too

Keith - you wouldn't recover from the 100 in time for the triple the following week.

Never heard of 50% more than weight lost being required.   But better to rehydrate with more than water.   Milk, soups, stews etc.

Sooooooooooo cold this morning that I'm seriously thinking of opting for treadmill running in the gym, my back and hamstrings just get tight and painful in the cold.  

11/12/2012 at 08:18

Shades - the 50% extra thing is something i have seen fairly often although it does usually also say not everything has to be pure liquid being food is mostly water too. I just drink until i get bored peeing every 5-10 mins Usually does the job.

Yeah its a little annoying a nice localish 100 miler is the week before the triple although i would imagine i'd still be quicker than others doing it even after doing both events.

11/12/2012 at 08:26

Morning everyone.. am also v jealous of Big G's weight loss... am still waiting for moment when I start to look thin and sinewy like a proper runner. However as I am someone who is of the firm opinion that anything eaten standing up by the fridge does not count as a food diary entry then I am aware I have some way to go..

Freezing here, been running a lot and upping my mileage but frustrating as I still have not garmin type watch so cannot do any real tempo work as no idea how fast I am running, just timing myself on a variety of circuits. Also petrified of falling on ice and injuring myself resulting in not being able to run   Considering buying trail shoes as might give better grip on icy roads?? However I think you mentioned the other day Shades that this wouldn't make much difference...

11/12/2012 at 13:16

mamafox - trail shoes won't really help on ice, you need to buy what Clag has (I've forgotten the name of them), chain like that you put on over your shoes.

I hope you'll be getting that longed for Garmin type watch from Santa?

There are websites that you can measure your route on, will help for the time being.

Keith - what's the furthest you've ever run?

11/12/2012 at 14:10

Keith ran to the fridge once 

I was brave last night and did the club 10 mile run with head torch and a lot of it was off road. Had to work hard to keep up with them but got back all together. Phew

I'm almost finished the shopping too  

11/12/2012 at 14:48

Well, my December 'streak' didn't last very long . Foot niggle (from Florence) only niggled when I was not running last week, so went ahead and did Broadmeadow (Stratford) on Sunday. Ok until about 17 miles then started to hurt a bit. A couple of paracetamol took the edge off so was able to finish. Not muddy as Chris S had re-routed most of it, so lots of up and down the Greenway which was quite hard-packed. Chatted to a fellow runner the whole way, so enjoyable run, so much that I even forgot to drink my coke which I usually have about mile 22 and which I had carried in my backpack the whole way . Decided on a rest day yesterday and foot easing up again, so will go to club tonight as a founder member is moving away and she is going to lead a very slow run before nibbles etc.

mamafox - I'm a bit of a Luddite, so don't have a Garmin. I use Runners Route to track my mileage (and a stopwatch to check my heartrate) .

VR - I need to get out off-road with a headtorch. I signed up for a long run in February (which will finish in the dark) as a couple of club members said they would do it with me, but they haven't signed up yet - I shall go and bully them tonight.

Youngest son home from Kenya and finding it a bit cold. He only has to work another week and then has Christmas leave .

11/12/2012 at 17:36
Valley Runner wrote (see)

Keith ran to the fridge once 

VR - naughty remark but LOL

10 miles in the dark off road with a head torch.....eek, well done though

mowser - sorry to hear your foot niggle has got the better of you. Not PF I hope?

My foot niggle has just healed, I think it was bruising but it's taken ages to get better.

Nice to have your son home, I bet he finds it so cold here.   My boss is coming back from Australia, his office is like an icebox, he is going to freeze

11/12/2012 at 18:56

lol VR.......

technically its ran home from the Coop before the ice cream melted

Shades - Erm boston 12 hour and my 56 miles in 2010 with a cold

11/12/2012 at 19:15

Don't hate me but I have been in California for the last week running in relatively warm weather with clear blue skies. Shades, I need some advice. 

I started with good intentions and followed my plan. However, on Sunday I was unable to run the most important run of the week, my long slow run. Argh. It's the first one I have missed  

I ran almost 39 miles in the week and ran 6 of the 7 days I was there (including the run right after checking in to my hotel!). I ran 5 easy, 5 easy, 6 tempo, 8 easy, 8 easy and 6 easy pace runs. The last 6 easy was meant to be 20 miles but I had to go to the mall and then catch my flight home

I have 19 weeks to the marathon but the training plan thinks I only have 7 weeks to my race. What should I be doing? The plan seems to alternate between a 20-22 mile long run week and a 14-15 mile long run week. Should I just keep doing this until my marathon in April?

The taper just seems to be a normal week with a slightly shorter MWLR and a 10 mile LSR. Is that right?

11/12/2012 at 20:00
Blimey Khanivore, California?!!! Work or play. Not jealous at all, would much rather be running here in the sub zero temps, ice, snow, fog, drizzle, rain, sleet - take your pick

Must have been great to run somewhere different (and warm) but good to have you back.

I'm only in 2nd week of schedule but have missed tempo run today as had to be at work for 7am and OH out tonight so can't leave kids. But going first thing tomorrow and hoping ankle soreness will be better.
11/12/2012 at 23:07

My 18 week plan doesn't start until next week really, but as I'm off skiing over Xmas, I was starting it this week to try to get ahead. But............... a heavy cold has restricted me to just a Gym treadmill session only... and it's bloody freeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzziiiiinnnnnggg !!! 

In the gym for a longer run tomorrow despite still trying to shake this cold - which I reckon I caught after doing the GRIM 8 last week! -  will build up this week and have a LSR on Sunday when it's gonna be warmer (wet?).

I'm really looking forward to starting the Shades plan (can't really believe I'm thinking that after starting running 6 months ago and disliking my first HM in September....)

Just to keep it interesting and to ensure I'm always heading home on my long runs, I've been looking at taking the train to take me miles away just so I can run back - is that cheating ???   

12/12/2012 at 07:21

Keith - 56 is a good distance, not sure how hard another 44 miles would be

Khanivore - I'm so jealous of you being able to run in the warmth of California.

Now it doesn't matter you've missed a long run, as you have said you are weeks ahead on your plan.   Now what to do with the extra time, perhaps find some small local club races to do, take any weekend time you need now for your family or other commitments.   After that I would stretch the schedule and do the following for your weekend long runs:-

wk 1 20-22 miles
wk 2 16 miles
wk 3 12 miles

repeat

Slowkoala - the enforced rest will give your ankle a rest

Rattler - sorry to hear about the cold, hope it clears soon

I think taking a bus/train to a destination and running home is a great idea, I did think about it but our public transport is rubbish and the places that I could get a train to are not ideal for running home again

Had to cut run short this morning as we have black ice.

Ooooo it's nearly Xmas 

12/12/2012 at 07:51

Morning!

Loving the smiley santas 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.