Shades Marathon Training

58,121 to 58,140 of 66,470 messages
12/12/2012 at 10:47
Shades, black ice doesn't sound good, hope it doesn't last for long.

Bootsie and Emmy, minus 7!!! Only -3 for me this morning and that was cold enough. I think it was the first sub zero run for me this winter, but ok with buff and fleece gloves and wasn't icy. Everywhere looks like Narnia today, beautiful. Ankle felt ok in my old shoes (tried on the Asics but they feel too stiff) and did easy 7 miles (8m20 pace but speeded up to 8m for last couple of miles).

Emmy, hope your cold feels better for Saturday. You are wise to take it easy for a few days. My oldest has been lying on sofa for 2 days wrapped in blanket, suffering with sore throat (=tonsillitis as he's a boy).

Have hardly started my Xmas shopping so all those Santa pics are just making me panic
12/12/2012 at 13:25

bootsie and Emmy - that's cold

Emmy - had a terrible run yesterday, was just too cold for my back and hamstrings but today was a little warmer (about +2) and they were OK, just the black ice that defeated me.   Going to start warming up tomorrow and will be +10 by Friday

Sorry to hear you've caught a cold, just rest.

Slowkoala - it does seem to be those new shoes, you'd better take them back if you can.

Edited: 12/12/2012 at 13:26
12/12/2012 at 13:44
Shades, just taken the Asics back and got some Brooks. No quibbles from Sweatshop, despite almost a month's wear! The saleswoman there is also doing the VLM and is trying for 2h 45 on her first marathon!!! She's either a super hero or mad (or both)

Hope your hamstrings improve.
12/12/2012 at 14:03

Hi Shades,

Yes - going out at lunch it was -2 and that wasnt including the windchill *brr*.

+10'c?!? That's incredible! I think I might need to move to your area!

I feel for the Enigma people... it was minus temperatures today for the marathon!

12/12/2012 at 14:51

Emmy - Hope you feel better soon.

It was colder last year at Enigma Quad. have you see the pics?

12/12/2012 at 15:52

Thanks VR - I saw the snow from last year on a few of Foxy's pics.... a little chilly for me! I'm hoping that I improve up to friday... if not -i'm not going to risk it. 

12/12/2012 at 18:20

lazy 2 days here at the moment, shoulder was in a rubbish state after my jog on monday so resting today and yesterday and then intervals tomorrow.  Fingers crossed my shoulder doesn't flare up again after that and i'll be out of the woods! Nice hot bath tonight... its very very cold out!

12/12/2012 at 18:41

It were -10 day 3 at this years quad and not exactly much warmer all 4 days. Snowed the first night too.

Shades - I get 32 hours for the 100 miles so i'm not really expect it to be that hard to finish in time. 4mph whilst moving is 25 hours giving 7 hours of faffing about. Just gotta decide whether i want to do it and also G2E in April. That one is along canals so flat mostly and based on my 40 mile time of just under 7 hours would be 10-11 hours roughly for the 56 miles.

12/12/2012 at 19:36

@Keith - have you had a look at the Giantshead marathon in June? That's going to a good one. Lots of hills and hard stuff but a cracking crowd and group to be with (i shall be in attendance and i've been promised lots of beer) 

12/12/2012 at 21:15

Another run in the gym tonight as I haven't really shaken off this cold, but my running was poor, having a cold has really knocked the stuffing out of me. Maybe I should just wait 'til I'm fully recovered, but I thought I was close

At least I got some running in, and it will be warmer in the next few days, albeit wet and windy too  

13/12/2012 at 01:15
The outside of my calf started hurting a couple of weeks ago and it is getting worse and worse The main is now around my knee and my leg gets so stiff I can hardly walk. It loosens up with stretching running but when I first stand up it hurts a lot

I am really worried I have IT band syndrome I am going to book a session with a sports massage person to see if they can help. I'm really worried
13/12/2012 at 07:10

Emmy - I have dartmoor discovery in early june already and am yet to cross check race dates with on call rota which is a nice job for tomorrow or the weekend.

First proper xmas dinner tonight with work, this is the free (or mostly free) one where the different sites get to mingle togeather. Albeit with our lot sat on one table right next to the bar Got the usual local one next week as well and last weeks union agm had one too.

13/12/2012 at 07:21

Slowkoala - good news on the shoes.   Which Brooks did you get? (I'm a great Brooks fan)

Emmy - yes here's our forecast for the next few days  http://www.forecast.co.uk/newton-abbot.html

I couldn't (or wouldn't) have run a marathon in that cold weather yesterday

Keith - don't underestimate the difficulty of a 100 miler irrespective of time allowed.   And off road in the dark you may be down to 2mph.  And then there's the nature of the event, lots of folk have haullucinations.  The G2E you'd have no problem with.   I want to do a 100 miler at some time

Rattler - I wouldn't run if I had a cold and especially not indoors in a gym where you are vulnerable to pick up another cold.  Rest or justa good walk outdoors until you're well again.

Khanivore - I thought  ITB runs from the knee to hip.   If it's ITBS it's a common injury in folks training for their first marathon and can be dealt with.   Don't go for a sports massage, go to a physio and get a proper diagnosis.

Edited: 13/12/2012 at 08:10
13/12/2012 at 07:44

Shades from what I read the ITB goes from the hip down to the knee and attaches just below it to the side of the shin which is exactly where my leg is hurting. My hip is also a little sore and and when i massage the side of my upper leg with the roller the pain just below my knee feels a little bit better. 

I am glad to hear this is a common thing and that can be dealt with. The pain even put me off going for my run this am (i will do it at lunchtime instead) as my leg is sore  

I will find a physio locally.

13/12/2012 at 07:49

I picked up some base layer shorts (underwear) and tshirts when i was in the US. They made my -5c 10 mile run yesterday fantastic when combined with a polar buff and 2 pairs of gloves (my runnings ones and a pair of thick cotton cycling ones over the top). I wore my full sleeve top and a pair of cheapo ron hill running bottoms with my knee high compression socks underneath. And possibly the most important piece, a headband which I pulled down so it was over my ears.

Honestly, I hardly felt the cold. It was fantastic.

By the way i bought my first pair of compression tights when i was in the US too lol. I wore them once on a run out there but have not worn them here yet

13/12/2012 at 08:15

Khanivore - I would expect probably half of all runners training for their first marathon to get ITBS.   I did and I still do the stretches now every day.   Only time it niggles is sometimes on a very long drive (6 hours) but never had any more trouble running.

I would stop running until you've seen a physio, you are probably making it worse.

See if you can find a physio that is recommended by other runners, RW forum is good for that.

Good news on the new kit.   It's amazing how the right kit for the conditions really does work.

13/12/2012 at 08:44

I did a quick writeup of my trip to the US. Here it is:

http://ninjakhan.co.uk/2012/12/11/a-week-in-california/

I would encourage you to look at the panorama shot I took but if you don't want to read my post here is a link to that: http://360.io/AfydXR

In summary, the runners of northern California are spoiled rotten. They can run beautiful trails that don't get muddy, even in December. They can run in a t-shirt year round. They get glorious sun. No wonder people are so in to their ultra marathons etc there.

Shades - I really don't want to stop running. I will keep stretching and using the roller and will see a physio asap.

13/12/2012 at 13:19

Khanivore - that's your choice but if it's not getting better then you could end up spending more time on the injury bench and ITBS can become a long term injury if not dealt with quickly.

13/12/2012 at 13:40

Shades - i have a one hour session booked with this lady for next Tuesday. I know I should see a physio, and I will book one too, but she looks like she knows what she is talking about. What do you think?

http://www.trudykuhnsportsmassage.co.uk/

She is a runner herself.

13/12/2012 at 17:47
Shades, I got Brook Ghost 5s. Have you tried these before? They're a neutral shoe but I also have my new Sauconys which are mild support so think I will alternate. Have had a blister plaster on my ankle the last couple of days and seems to have helped. Looking forward to running tomorrow as it's supposed to be a bit warmer.

Khanivore, hope the physio helps. When I asked a friend doing a marathon what her goal was, she said 'to get to the starting line'. Think I'm beginning to understand now! Better to have a niggle now than an injury in feb or march.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.