Shades Marathon Training

58,141 to 58,160 of 66,222 messages
13/12/2012 at 13:40

Shades - i have a one hour session booked with this lady for next Tuesday. I know I should see a physio, and I will book one too, but she looks like she knows what she is talking about. What do you think?

http://www.trudykuhnsportsmassage.co.uk/

She is a runner herself.

13/12/2012 at 17:47
Shades, I got Brook Ghost 5s. Have you tried these before? They're a neutral shoe but I also have my new Sauconys which are mild support so think I will alternate. Have had a blister plaster on my ankle the last couple of days and seems to have helped. Looking forward to running tomorrow as it's supposed to be a bit warmer.

Khanivore, hope the physio helps. When I asked a friend doing a marathon what her goal was, she said 'to get to the starting line'. Think I'm beginning to understand now! Better to have a niggle now than an injury in feb or march.
13/12/2012 at 17:56
Hi Khanivore

I doubt very much you could run 10 miles if you have ITBS, it can take around 20 mins into a run for the pain to start, but when it does you would have to stop running in my experience. So many areas can track pain to the knee. A tight hip can give you tight quads that will cause pain in the kneecap. A tight spot in your mid to lower back can also track to the outside of the knee and give you ITBS type pain. It can also track from the shins.

We get pain for a reason so get it sorted or some day soon, you may wish you had

Hope you sort it soon
Steve
13/12/2012 at 19:25

Steve - Ah based on what you said it probably is not ITBS which would be a relief. I took the advice not to run and took today off. I have stretched twice and used the foam roller today and will do so again before bed. The leg is definitely feeling a bit more free thanks to the stretch. I am sure there is some connection with what is going on just below my knee and the slight soreness on the side of my butt cheek / hip. The session is booked with the sports massage lady and i may also go to see a sports physio i have been recommended too. 

My pain occurs when i have NOT been using my leg rather than when i HAVE been using it - i.e. when i have been sitting down rather than when i have been walking on it.

Edited: 13/12/2012 at 19:25
13/12/2012 at 19:33
Khanivore, I had knee trouble last year and had 3 months of physio. Best advice is to avoid googling as it is so easy to misdiagnose and think you have the answer. Physio is never an instant cure but it will tell you at least what is causing the niggle, how to strengthen areas to get rid of the niggle and whether you should be resting or whether it is something you can run through.
14/12/2012 at 07:20

Khanivore - I don't know her so I can't possibly comment.  Personally I wouldn't judge by a website I would want personal recommendations and would be consulting a physio or sports therapist for an injury.

S3200H  - I've had ITBS and my pain would only come on after 5 or even 10 miles. 

Khanivore - please don't worry but I think you probably have a couple of injuries there.

Slowkoala -yes, I have a pair of Ghost which I like very much, nice and light and a good fit, I'm probably going to buy another pair soon.  They have some on  M and M Direct, I'm price watching at the moment

Fabulous run today, lovely and mild, about +8, didn't mind the torrential rain, anything is better than that cold and ice

14/12/2012 at 08:29

After the amount of sprouts i ate last night any running done today would be jet propelled

14/12/2012 at 09:14

Shades, I booked a physio session for Monday with a physio recommended by the chairman of my cycling club. I checked with her about the sports massage I have booked for Tuesday and the physio told me the masseur is good. That put my mind at rest.

None of this is cheap. I'll just put it down to the learning process and I hope I don't have to keep going back in the long term. 

It is really REALLY frustrating not going out for a run. I hate it I thought my leg was better but after sitting at my desk for 30 mins I could hardly stand up again. Once I am up and moving about it gets looser, but still sore. Sitting really seems to stiffen it up.

14/12/2012 at 09:36
I know how you feel Khanivore My ITBS problem was caused wile cycling, but only hurt me when running, took me a long time and so much money to understand the cause of the injury.

Have you been running long?
14/12/2012 at 09:40

I have only been running since May. I have tried to ramp up very slowly though. I started with run walk and then followed Shades plan to build up to the mileage I am at right now. I guess it was to be expected. I just hope I can get through it and then become injury free. I guess it is better this happens 18 weeks out from the Marathon rather than 2 weeks out

14/12/2012 at 13:16

Keith - must have been a Xmas dinner, can't see you cooking the sprouts

Khanivore - being on the injury bench is truly awful, we all been there.  Just use the time this weekend to do some chores that you may have sidelined for your running and await the physio's diagnosis.   You've continued to run with an injury which has probably given you another niggle, but nothing that can't be sorted out.

Take your running shoes to the physio with you just in case they need to check them.   It's possible that you may need to change your shoes (or type of) as I doubt you run in the same way you did when you originally bought them.

I know these treatments aren't cheap but you can get physio on NHS, however the waiting list can vary depending on your GP's resources.   Best physio I've ever seen was an NHS one after an injury that other physio's couldn't diagnose.

14/12/2012 at 14:05

Thanks shades. I will rest up. I mostly feel bad because now i hve to eat less too lol. 

So your plan is to replace something I love to do, running, with somethign I hate to do, chores. Why didn't I think of that?

14/12/2012 at 20:04

Shades - er i have sprouts in the freezer in amongst the various frozen veggies

15/12/2012 at 07:07

Khanivore - but you'll feel good having got those chores out of the way.   Bad news on the food though

Keith - and have those sprouts been in your freezer for years?

I love veg but hate sprouts

Very mild this morning for my run, roads were lovely and quiet.   Nearly half way through the streak, day 15 am feeling a little jaded.

Good luck to VR and Emmy today at MK

15/12/2012 at 10:54
I'm still on the streak too. It was slightly tougher this week due to having to travel a bit for work, but it wasn't too bad really.

I've just come back from a Saturday morning club run which was a nice 11 miles out. It's the club's Xmas do tonight so I expect it'll just be the 1 mile tomorrow....
15/12/2012 at 15:33

Shades - er more like a few weeks only, there is usally some sort of veggies in their. just veggies dont exactly go with curry or bolognese that well.

15/12/2012 at 15:48
Mild morning here, did a session at my running club. They do a timed mile every month and I ran it in 6mins 10 secs which was pleased with as 15 secs faster than last month. Went way too fast at the start though so need to pace better next time. Hardly started Xmas shopping so might have to dash to town now
15/12/2012 at 16:45
Well done, Time to change your name to fastkoala.
15/12/2012 at 18:46

I've just started training for my first marathon with this plan and as I'm pushed for time, the three runs a week is good.

As it's my first marathon, this question is likely to sound very stupid, but does running slower than marathon pace help on race day? I'm just after a bit of reassurace that it does or is it the tempo runs that make the marathon pace possible on the day?

15/12/2012 at 23:23

I'm not a happy bunny . Heel still ached a bit after a run on Tuesday, so I looked up PF on the internet but reading about all those bones and stringy things made me feel woozy and faint . Decided to do some of the stretching and strengthening exercises for PF, but by Thursday evening it had made it worse! Now my whole foot ached - arch, heel, ankle and even right up my leg. Did nothing on Friday and today and it seems to have gone back to what it was almost at the beginning . Think I might try to get a doc's appointment (possibly by New Year knowing our docs). Had to pull out of Sunday Enigma . Seems like quite a few peeps have niggles of one kind or another.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.