Shades Marathon Training

58,161 to 58,180 of 67,839 messages
16/12/2012 at 08:59

Emmy - Don't be upset, you did the right thing to DNF rather than carry on and make it worse.

That is very good news that it doesn't hurt so much today, usually first thing in the morning achilles injuries can be at their worst and very painful.  It might be referred pain from somewhere else in your ankle.

What was VR wearing?

Off to the gym now, back later

16/12/2012 at 12:42

Really enjoyed myself at the gym...so why don't I go there more often?

Had a really awful paperwork task to do today which I thought would take me at least 2 hours, but completed in 40 mins.   Still have the Xmas cards to do though

16/12/2012 at 13:25
Every year I say I'm going to stop doing Christmas cards as they are such a hassle and stamps cost an arm and a leg now.

Emmy, I think that's the sign of a true runner, not being afraid to stop if you know otherwise your injury will get worse. Hope with a bit of rest it starts to get better soon.

Mower, hope you get to see a physio before Christmas. Such a pain having to wait for so long.

Did 16 miles this morning which went well. Completely forgot about ankle which must be a good sign but when I press on it now it hurts. Think it is probably more than just the shoe thing so iced it. However it didn't affect my running today so just hope it doesn't develop into anything worse.
Edited: 16/12/2012 at 13:27
16/12/2012 at 15:05

Lovely to meet you too Emmy and sorry about your injury. We've all been there.
I remember my first DNF. It felt so awful. Just have to pick yourself up and try again.
Hope it clears up soon. You looked lovely in your christmas tree outfit!

Mowser - What a pain! Hope you get it sorted soon. I bet you're going nuts without the running in your life!

I think I've done that lake to death now. 4.28 on Saturday, I was supposed to run Sunday but couldn't face it! Plus I had a late night driving into London to pick eldest daughter up from a Wembly concert and getting back to a very noisy hotel.
Still, back home now.

Glad you enjoyed the gym Shades, you are going to be so fit!!! 

16/12/2012 at 15:09

Well, I went out for the running club Xmas party last night, which was good.  I enjoyed it and I'm pleased to say I didn't drink too much which meant I could get out for a run this morning.  I only did about 4.5 miles, but it was at sub-8min/mile pace so that wasn't too bad.  That means I'm half way through the running streak with 71 miles in 16 days racked up so far.

I don't usually do the Monday night club session, but tomorrow there is a "Mince Pie Marathon".  A quote from the club magazine: "There will be mulled
wine and mince pies in abundance — no need for tea that night!".  It would seem rude not to attend that

16/12/2012 at 15:38

Emmy & Khanivore - hope your injuries heal up quickly.

Shades - are we not getting any more reports from your gym sessions? . I think I'll be back to the gym this week as I just can't face swimming in that cold water .

Went to club's XC league race today. Very muddy . Saw a few of the fastest men through the finish (heard one say "I've never, ever had to walk in a XC before") then did duty as 'bag lady' - holding out plastic bags for runners to drop their disgustingly muddy shoes in, before they came into the hall. It was the 'pea field' that did it - a long steep hill about a mile or 2 from the finish - it had been ploughed during the week . Apparently, a few lost their shoes, one lady veered off the 'path' and started to sink, and a couple of runners got completely stuck and had to be helped out by marshalls. (During the hot weather in the summer the path gets a lot of wide deep cracks which seem bottomless ). They all finished smiling though.

16/12/2012 at 17:59

right, i'm signed up to the level 2 for the VLM in april, which means tuesday is my first day.

i looked at level one but the start of 2 is much more like what i'm doing at the mo, so i thought "why not".

thanks for the plan, Shades.

16/12/2012 at 19:29
Can the days be switched around on your plan, Shades? Only I've got running club on Wednesdays and, at my speed, there's no way I'll be doing 8+ miles with them.
16/12/2012 at 23:01

I managed a 15 mile pootle today, 10 min miles meant a 2.5 hour run, but all was good. I got a lift to my starting point so had to do the mileage otherwise I wouldn't have got home 

Motivation by force 

17/12/2012 at 07:05

Slowkoala - I'm cutting my Xmas cards down every year, and I didn't do them yesterday, it's a job I hate.

I don't think there can be much wrong with your ankle if you didn't notice it during your run, might still be the after effects of those shoes.   But keep an eye on it.

VR - well done at the lake.  

Big G - well done getting through the Trotter's do without getting drunk!

mowzer - how's the injury?

That XC race sounds horrendous, but really funny.

No, I haven't seen A at the gym since my last report, don't know if he still owns it or not...if I went more often I might find out

Sofaboy - you're welcome.

Nykie - of course, it's important that your training plan fits in with your lifestyle.

Rattler - I think that's a great way to do your long run

Only 5 more days at work and then 11 days off work

17/12/2012 at 12:54

Today is my last day in and then I'm off until January

17/12/2012 at 13:12

Nykie - you lucky thing

17/12/2012 at 20:34

Just had 35+ Trotters stop off on their mince pie run.
Waiting to hear from Big G if I was the best host?

17/12/2012 at 20:53
Hi all, went to the dr today (came back home early). It's a tendon strain with a bit of tendinitis in it.shes given me all clear to run shorter distances for a week, exercises to do and some ibruprofen. Cannot say how happy I am that it's not more serious! No pain today so feel quite happy.

I'm off to Barcelona for a few days so I'll be offline. Have a great week everyone!

@VR - of course you were the best host!
@Mowser - that sounds shocking! There was a video a while ago posted of a guy who lost his shoe doing XC. It was 10 mins of him scrambling around,
17/12/2012 at 21:34
Ha ha....yep, you were the best

I'm stuffed now though! I certainly consumed more calories that I burned in that 7-mile run
17/12/2012 at 22:36

Emmy sorry to hear about your pain - glad to hear you are allowed to run. After a 5 day break due to this pain in my leg I finally got to see a physio today. She told me it is not in fact related to my IT band! In fact she think I have an inflamed muscle. I looked it up on google and i think it is the peroneus longus muscle that I have hurt somehow. 

My left foot pronates a lot more than my right. It is the job of this muscle to stabilise it. She told me that it won't get better without a break from running but that since i am training for a specific event i should just keep going as long as the perceived pain is at 4 or below on a scale of 1 to 10, both before and after the run. This is the case for me. The pain is after I have been sitting at my desk and not using the muscle for a while. I will just keep stretching and work through it and see what happens.

5 mins after the appointment I went out for a 5 mile run lol. Felt great to be out running again. I am a little concerned about the diagnosis to be honest. The other side of my knee has started to hurt too. If after regularly stretching I find this pain is getting worse I will seek a second opinion.

17/12/2012 at 23:31
Hi Khanivore. I am no expert but I must say that sounds really bad advice to me. I have had a quick google and most people say it is caused by overuse and you should rest now or you will end up been out for many weeks Take a week of now, rest as much as you, and find somebody to give you some proper advice.
18/12/2012 at 00:00
I have to say I was rather surprised at the advice myself. The main reason I went along with it is that the pain is not worse while running. I think you are right - I should get a second opinion. That's going to set me back another ??50 and with Christmas here I bet I can't get an appointment within the next couple of weeks!

What to do between now and then ?
18/12/2012 at 07:18

Emmy - that is good news and a few days in Barcelona is just what you need to help you with your recovery.   Have a lovely time

VR - I bet you're mince pies were wonderful

Khanivore

'She told me that it won't get better without a break from running'

so why are you still running?   Yes you are training for a specific event but it's 4 months away.  I'm with S3200H on this, you need to rest from running, do some walking, stretching, gym stuff if it doesn't hurt.   A few days rest (maybe a couple of weeks rest) and then starting back on gentle running rebuilding the mileage up and then see how you are.   If you don't deal with this now you could be on the injury bench for months.  Now you know it's not a serious injury you can deal with it.

Being injured is part of running. Sorry but that's how it is and even in your first couple of years of running you can expect to pick up quite a few injuries.   And in the future there will be missed races and frustration due to injury, but that's part of this sport.

18/12/2012 at 07:53

Emmy - good news about your injury not being serious, must be a big relief!

Khanivore - spend your time internet shopping for loads of fab new kit to wear when you have completely recovered..

No ice now here so not sliding everywhere, just completely drenched every day.  Am keeping up mileage as know ice will return and will not be able to get out so much.

Still on prayer mat for garmin at Christmas.. well it's that or divorce... have been quite clear about this

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.