Shades Marathon Training

58,161 to 58,180 of 73,294 messages
16/12/2012 at 17:59

right, i'm signed up to the level 2 for the VLM in april, which means tuesday is my first day.

i looked at level one but the start of 2 is much more like what i'm doing at the mo, so i thought "why not".

thanks for the plan, Shades.

16/12/2012 at 19:29
Can the days be switched around on your plan, Shades? Only I've got running club on Wednesdays and, at my speed, there's no way I'll be doing 8+ miles with them.
16/12/2012 at 23:01

I managed a 15 mile pootle today, 10 min miles meant a 2.5 hour run, but all was good. I got a lift to my starting point so had to do the mileage otherwise I wouldn't have got home 

Motivation by force 

17/12/2012 at 07:05

Slowkoala - I'm cutting my Xmas cards down every year, and I didn't do them yesterday, it's a job I hate.

I don't think there can be much wrong with your ankle if you didn't notice it during your run, might still be the after effects of those shoes.   But keep an eye on it.

VR - well done at the lake.  

Big G - well done getting through the Trotter's do without getting drunk!

mowzer - how's the injury?

That XC race sounds horrendous, but really funny.

No, I haven't seen A at the gym since my last report, don't know if he still owns it or not...if I went more often I might find out

Sofaboy - you're welcome.

Nykie - of course, it's important that your training plan fits in with your lifestyle.

Rattler - I think that's a great way to do your long run

Only 5 more days at work and then 11 days off work

17/12/2012 at 12:54

Today is my last day in and then I'm off until January

17/12/2012 at 13:12

Nykie - you lucky thing

17/12/2012 at 20:34

Just had 35+ Trotters stop off on their mince pie run.
Waiting to hear from Big G if I was the best host?

17/12/2012 at 20:53
Hi all, went to the dr today (came back home early). It's a tendon strain with a bit of tendinitis in it.shes given me all clear to run shorter distances for a week, exercises to do and some ibruprofen. Cannot say how happy I am that it's not more serious! No pain today so feel quite happy.

I'm off to Barcelona for a few days so I'll be offline. Have a great week everyone!

@VR - of course you were the best host!
@Mowser - that sounds shocking! There was a video a while ago posted of a guy who lost his shoe doing XC. It was 10 mins of him scrambling around,
17/12/2012 at 21:34
Ha ha....yep, you were the best

I'm stuffed now though! I certainly consumed more calories that I burned in that 7-mile run
17/12/2012 at 22:36

Emmy sorry to hear about your pain - glad to hear you are allowed to run. After a 5 day break due to this pain in my leg I finally got to see a physio today. She told me it is not in fact related to my IT band! In fact she think I have an inflamed muscle. I looked it up on google and i think it is the peroneus longus muscle that I have hurt somehow. 

My left foot pronates a lot more than my right. It is the job of this muscle to stabilise it. She told me that it won't get better without a break from running but that since i am training for a specific event i should just keep going as long as the perceived pain is at 4 or below on a scale of 1 to 10, both before and after the run. This is the case for me. The pain is after I have been sitting at my desk and not using the muscle for a while. I will just keep stretching and work through it and see what happens.

5 mins after the appointment I went out for a 5 mile run lol. Felt great to be out running again. I am a little concerned about the diagnosis to be honest. The other side of my knee has started to hurt too. If after regularly stretching I find this pain is getting worse I will seek a second opinion.

17/12/2012 at 23:31
Hi Khanivore. I am no expert but I must say that sounds really bad advice to me. I have had a quick google and most people say it is caused by overuse and you should rest now or you will end up been out for many weeks Take a week of now, rest as much as you, and find somebody to give you some proper advice.
18/12/2012 at 00:00
I have to say I was rather surprised at the advice myself. The main reason I went along with it is that the pain is not worse while running. I think you are right - I should get a second opinion. That's going to set me back another ??50 and with Christmas here I bet I can't get an appointment within the next couple of weeks!

What to do between now and then ?
18/12/2012 at 07:18

Emmy - that is good news and a few days in Barcelona is just what you need to help you with your recovery.   Have a lovely time

VR - I bet you're mince pies were wonderful

Khanivore

'She told me that it won't get better without a break from running'

so why are you still running?   Yes you are training for a specific event but it's 4 months away.  I'm with S3200H on this, you need to rest from running, do some walking, stretching, gym stuff if it doesn't hurt.   A few days rest (maybe a couple of weeks rest) and then starting back on gentle running rebuilding the mileage up and then see how you are.   If you don't deal with this now you could be on the injury bench for months.  Now you know it's not a serious injury you can deal with it.

Being injured is part of running. Sorry but that's how it is and even in your first couple of years of running you can expect to pick up quite a few injuries.   And in the future there will be missed races and frustration due to injury, but that's part of this sport.

18/12/2012 at 07:53

Emmy - good news about your injury not being serious, must be a big relief!

Khanivore - spend your time internet shopping for loads of fab new kit to wear when you have completely recovered..

No ice now here so not sliding everywhere, just completely drenched every day.  Am keeping up mileage as know ice will return and will not be able to get out so much.

Still on prayer mat for garmin at Christmas.. well it's that or divorce... have been quite clear about this

18/12/2012 at 09:13
I'm a bit confused about what to do. As long as I stretch regularly the pain seems to be greatly reduced to just a slight soreness. When I wake in the morning there is a dull pain which does hurt but as soon as I stretch it is greatt reduced again.

I will try to book another appointment - another ??50 down the pan though
18/12/2012 at 09:26

Khanivore - no need to be confused, i'd do exactly what Shades says. I assume you've been follwing her advice so far .....

18/12/2012 at 09:36

slight change of subject: any tips on running slower?

i've been building up a base fitness since june and have found 8-8:30 to be a nice comfy pace over 10+km. building up to 21km i've tried to run slower (around 9:15) but just don't seem to be able to stick to it. the quicker pace feels fine at the time but leaves me feeling knackered for a day or so afterwards. obviously i can see this being an issue as the mileage ramps up over the next 18 weeks.

my paces based on marathon pace for the shades plan look really slow. 9:30 for easy runs and 9:50 for long ones.

don't get me wrong, i realise they are the paces i should be hitting. i'm more than happy to follow the advice of someone vastly more experienced than i. i just don't want to end up running quicker than i should and injuring myself.

so as i said at the top, any tips for running slower? preferably without having to resort to doing it whilst carring/dragging something heavy. lol...

18/12/2012 at 09:40
Of more concern is the sharp pain which has now developed on the inside of that knee. I will stop running for another week
18/12/2012 at 09:43

yeah. definitely stop. best bit of advice i've had was:

listen to your body when it whispers to you or you'll only end up having to listen to it screaming at you.

18/12/2012 at 11:46

Thx sofaboy and shades and others. I will listen to my body which is definitely telling me to stop running for a bit I will go for a swim today as I don't use my legs much when doing that. New physio session booked for Thursday with another chap. 

Injury has brought new perspective. I realise now, what eveyone has been saying all along anyway, that I should just aim to get through the first marathon without killing myself. I am still hoping for a sub-4 hour time but i am DEFINITELY nmot going to introduce hill or interval training. 

I hate this - just want my leg to stop hurting so i can run again.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.