Shades Marathon Training

58,181 to 58,200 of 67,264 messages
18/12/2012 at 09:13
I'm a bit confused about what to do. As long as I stretch regularly the pain seems to be greatly reduced to just a slight soreness. When I wake in the morning there is a dull pain which does hurt but as soon as I stretch it is greatt reduced again.

I will try to book another appointment - another ??50 down the pan though
18/12/2012 at 09:26

Khanivore - no need to be confused, i'd do exactly what Shades says. I assume you've been follwing her advice so far .....

18/12/2012 at 09:36

slight change of subject: any tips on running slower?

i've been building up a base fitness since june and have found 8-8:30 to be a nice comfy pace over 10+km. building up to 21km i've tried to run slower (around 9:15) but just don't seem to be able to stick to it. the quicker pace feels fine at the time but leaves me feeling knackered for a day or so afterwards. obviously i can see this being an issue as the mileage ramps up over the next 18 weeks.

my paces based on marathon pace for the shades plan look really slow. 9:30 for easy runs and 9:50 for long ones.

don't get me wrong, i realise they are the paces i should be hitting. i'm more than happy to follow the advice of someone vastly more experienced than i. i just don't want to end up running quicker than i should and injuring myself.

so as i said at the top, any tips for running slower? preferably without having to resort to doing it whilst carring/dragging something heavy. lol...

18/12/2012 at 09:40
Of more concern is the sharp pain which has now developed on the inside of that knee. I will stop running for another week
18/12/2012 at 09:43

yeah. definitely stop. best bit of advice i've had was:

listen to your body when it whispers to you or you'll only end up having to listen to it screaming at you.

18/12/2012 at 11:46

Thx sofaboy and shades and others. I will listen to my body which is definitely telling me to stop running for a bit I will go for a swim today as I don't use my legs much when doing that. New physio session booked for Thursday with another chap. 

Injury has brought new perspective. I realise now, what eveyone has been saying all along anyway, that I should just aim to get through the first marathon without killing myself. I am still hoping for a sub-4 hour time but i am DEFINITELY nmot going to introduce hill or interval training. 

I hate this - just want my leg to stop hurting so i can run again.

18/12/2012 at 11:53

i know what you mean. i picked up a slight achilles niggle in july after not warming down properly. after a few days off it was feeling sort of ok (but not really), i got frustrated and went for a 7km run on it. i hobbled the last km home and was out for most of the next month.

18/12/2012 at 13:27

mamafox - I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you for the Garmin for Xmas...make sure you tell him that a divorce is a lot more expensive than a Garmin

Sofaboy - it's tricky as it's instinct to go as fast as you can whilst remaining comfortable.  But it's obviously too fast as you say that you are tired afterwards.   Don't listen to music, that can destroy your pacing plans, but apart from that it's just self discipline I'm afraid.

Khanivore - I'm not sure why at this stage you want to see another physio right now.   Resting (when required) is a major part of training, knowing when to ease up and let your body recover.   If there is no improvement by January then maybe think about seeing somebody else.   But there's no magic cure, if you have damaged a muscle it needs a little time to get better.

18/12/2012 at 15:15
Sofaboy, I have the same problem re pacing - I know I need to go slower on my long runs but when I get into a rhythm it seems comfortable to go a bit faster. But have heard of lots of first timers who hit the wall due to going too fast in training so I need to listen! Read an article somewhere about importance of pacing and it said that elite Kenyan runners often go as slow as 9 or even 10 minute miles - but then still knock out sub 2h 15 marathons. So if it works for them... ! Have you ever tried a heart monitor? I know lots of runners use them to make sure they train at particular rates. I'm not over keen to have another gadget but probably getting a garmin for Xmas which comes with a HM for free so might try it.

Khanivore, I feel your pain but would agree with Shades and everyone else that YOU NEED TO REST!!! You are lucky that you are so ahead in your training. Better to rest for a couple of weeks now than to be one of the 30 per cent who never make it to the start line of the VLM. Apparently 98 per cent of those who start do finish so getting to the start uninjured is a really important goal!
18/12/2012 at 15:45

2H15 huh....

lol.

just did my first 5 mile easy. should be @ 9:30. came in at 9:31 average. bang on, pretty much. although it felt like harder work than if i'd have done it at 8:30s. must have been tensing up a bit in the legs or something.

Edited: 18/12/2012 at 15:48
18/12/2012 at 18:52
when I started running I set my max heart rate at 136bpm and the best I could do was 11.30 min miles. After about 5 months I was able to run 8.30 min miles at 136bpm. It is hard to keep it that low and any slight hill you have to walk, but in time you can keep running. To me 3 mins a mile for the same effort is well worth it.
18/12/2012 at 18:58
A friend asked me today how the training was going for the marathon. I explained that I has just started following a schedule. She said, oh is that because you want to beat 2 hours?!!!!!
18/12/2012 at 21:07
Shades he does massages too and I also thought he might do a better job of telling me what is going on with my knee. Sounds like you think I am better of just resting it until Jan and see someone then if needed.
18/12/2012 at 21:08
S3200H that is awesome re your heart rate. I'm going to give that a go after the marathon - HADD training.
18/12/2012 at 23:04

Blimey Khanivore - the injury doesn't sound good, please take it easy.

SofaBoy - my 5 mile easy was all over the place for pace today too, but I'm lucky () that my natural pace is a lot slower than yours - so I did manage to keep it reasonably in line.

5 mile easy tomorrow, 7 mile tempo Thurs, a long Saturday run then I'm off skiing for a week. now that will make my legs hurt

Tim 

18/12/2012 at 23:06

I am an expert at running at a slow pace

19/12/2012 at 07:13

Sofaboy - well done on your pacing, will be interesting to see if you are less tired.

S3200H - I'm a Hadd fan too.

Slowkoala - LOL at your non running friend.   I would be very happy if Sofaboy did 2:15, but if you do 2 hours I can retire and live off selling my training plans and the odd coaching session

Khanivore - it's up to you, but you could be wasting your money at this stage.  There are no magic cures, why not try a bit of rest and reschedule the appointment for the New Year.   You will have been reading all you can about injuries and the first thing they tell you is RICE and it's the 'R' that you need to do.

Rattler - Skiing over Xmas, will be lovely

Wet and windy here today, nice and mild though

19/12/2012 at 08:04
Cool - thx shades Going to push appointment out to new year and go swimming instead.
19/12/2012 at 08:16

..and I'm going to hide your running shoes  

Are you able to cycle or does that hurt too?

19/12/2012 at 09:01

thanks, i'll let you know regarding pacing once i've done the first long run. it's the 15km+ ones that have been leaving me fatigued due to pace.

actually quite looking forward to my tempo runs, get a bit of speed going. lol...

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.