Shades Marathon Training

58,341 to 58,360 of 66,426 messages
29/12/2012 at 11:53

I went out for a short run today to see if my leg has healed. I walked briskly for 10 minutes to warm up thoroughly. I then had a light stretch. During the walk I noticed that the muscle in my left leg that I injured was still a little sore. However, there was no sharp pain around the knees which I was experiencing before.

After the stretch I ran at an easy pace for 1.75 miles. During the run the soreness in my left leg was less than when walking. This did not surprise me because this is what I experienced at the time of my injury too. I stopped after 1.75 miles, walked 2 minutes, and then stretched.

When I stopped to stretch I immediately felt the sensation I felt when the injury was at its worst. Standing up I found it a little awkward/difficult to raise my lower leg behind me (i.e. keeping the upper leg vertical but bringing the foot up towards my bum). This was due to soreness in muscles and not due to the sharp pains I had been experiencing before.

As I stretched the sore muscle seemed to loosen up. After arriving home it was no worse than it was before I went for the run. Do I continue to run or do I rest longer? That is the question.

29/12/2012 at 12:22

Khanivore - I think that's progress, don't you?

So when you do the quad stretch (as you describe) is when it hurts most?

Rest tomorrow, then see how it is on Monday.   If no after effects of today's run then try another short run.

Must go and do some housework now

29/12/2012 at 12:25
Hello all,

I did 12 miles and there a few aches/ strange pains but I'm ok. A little headache from it but I'm not sure if that was the flu or just my head!

@Shades - we went food shopping today and it was empty as well... It's a shame that not all shops are like that. As part of my run - I run through a shopping street and it was packed!

We just have a lot of wind today (no rain yet) so it's a lovely day but quite blustery!

@Keith - crossing fingers for your car
29/12/2012 at 12:51
Shades it's not the stretch that hurts. It's the process of lifting the leg. If I grab the leg and lift it with my hands and stretch there is no pain.

Stretching pain comes in the sore muscle when I touch my toes.
It's definitely progress. I will rest tomorrow and do another short 2 mile run on Mon. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the advice.
29/12/2012 at 14:19

Car be fixed as in i can drive home, ABS is broke so will need repaired when i get back. Handbrake had decided to disconnect itself too which was a quick fix. Now to decide when to go to tesco's, no harm in going now really car is warmed up after all Wasn't very busy yesterday so i doubt it'll be any worse this afternoon

29/12/2012 at 20:36
Emmy, sounds like you are well on the road to recovery if you have managed 12 miles, that's great.

Khanivore, good that you are making progress too, that injury bench is going to have more space on it very soon

Tempo run yesterday but legs a bit tired so didn't push it too much. Then 3 very easy miles today with my 10 year old son. Tried the Garmin and have managed to work out how to show the info I want on the screens but I'm still finding it too complex and the bezel is annoying. Have decided to return it and get a 110 instead. I actually really love running with the Nike app on my phone and love hearing the voice tell me my pace every 0.25 miles! Just worried the battery won't last a marathon.
29/12/2012 at 22:49

ABS was merely a dodgy connection it seems as after going to town its not flagging up as faulty any more. Exactly the same as it did once last time suspension broke when it nicked the ABS cable which was repaired by splicing it back togeather.

30/12/2012 at 07:20
Morning all - must get around to reading & catching up! Barely seem to have time for anything these days!

Quick message for Shades - your miles are needed! Fetch have taken us on the monthly challenge! Help!
30/12/2012 at 07:21

Emmy - 12 miles, you're definitely better now.

Khanivore - must be a different muscle for lifting than stretching.   I'm glad you can see that you are recovering, injuries can be so frustrating

Keith - good news on the car, hope it wasn't too expensive.  You broke the suspension on your car before?   Those  on here that haven't met you will think you're 30 stone...LOL

Slowkoala - sorry to hear you can't get on with the Garmin but good idea to swap for one more suited to you.

must go for my run now, I think it's raining again

30/12/2012 at 07:24

Morning Clag - xpost.

Will update my mileage when I get back from my run

30/12/2012 at 07:40

Lol yes i have broken front suspension before, i think it was even the same side. Was a few years ago though. Must avoid pot holes better i think. Kinda hard when puddles fill entire road and as its down here i not know where the bloody holes are under the water.

30/12/2012 at 08:58
Can't believe how knackered I feel after just a 1.75 mile run yesterday. I suspect this is because of the cold more than the run though. My sore muscle in my leg is very sore again this morning When I stood up and walked about it got better - I do hope this is not going to get worse and worse like it did before
30/12/2012 at 10:20

Keith - hard to avoid the potholes these days

Khanivore - oh dear, that doesn't sound good.

Clag - have updated my mileage, except for today's run as I might pop out again tonight.

Must go and shower now and see if I can get to the gym for a little upper body workout

Edited: 30/12/2012 at 10:20
30/12/2012 at 11:15
18 miles this morning. Dry and mild here so fairly comfortable run, except the last 2 miles felt tough! Took some jelly babies and had a gel at 10 miles which seemed to help. Long bath needed now.

Shades, upper body workout sounds wise. I've decided I'm going back to Pilates in jan as did this before and think it was really good for my core strength.

Khanivore, are you still icing your leg and taking ibuprofen? A cold will make you feel knackered so hope this goes soon so you can concentrate on getting rid of the injury.
30/12/2012 at 11:31

I might get bored tomorrow and write a review of the year.

Anyhow still somewhat windy down here but i cant complain as tomorrow the wind will be as strong as todays gusts and the gusts will be far stronger.....

Still 9.64 miles in 90 mins dead (well ok 1:29:58 ) isn't to bad on a non flat part of devon.

30/12/2012 at 11:35
I have not taken any ibuprofen at all or iced my leg oops. Can you record a regime?

Well done on the 18 mile run!!! Fantastic!!! That's the furthest I have run.
30/12/2012 at 11:38
Hi all, I think that I'm back.... 5 miles at 10-10.30 miling throughout. Felt good, strong and easy.... BUT we have such a strong wind here at the moment. It blew my hat off twice and for the last mile it was entirely in headwind so it felt like running through treacle.

Just off to face the shops. My hand mixer has died and I need to get a new one pretty sharpish. I'm making dessert for our NYE party and I need to practice it. This will be my first attempt at using coconut flour :/
30/12/2012 at 11:40
@slowkoala - well done on the run! That's fantastic!

@keith - I think a year report would be great we should all do one!

@khani - I admit... I resort to ice and painkillers at the slightest indication of it. Just make sure that you take any painkillers in a full stomach
30/12/2012 at 11:46
Do I ice first thing in the an or last thing at night? How long do I do it for?
30/12/2012 at 11:46
Ps congrats getting better
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.