Shades Marathon Training

58,401 to 58,420 of 66,253 messages
02/01/2013 at 10:57

Bootsie - I can't recommend 'myfitnesspal' enough if you have a smartphone. Download the free app and keep a calorie log on the app. It's free. I have never been organised enough to keep a calorie log. This app makes it so easy even I can do it. And that is saying something! 

You can use the website instead of using the smartphone app. However, having it on the phone means you can enter your calories as you eat and can barcode scan items too to get the exact nutrients and calorie data straight in to the app. 

I lost 3 stone very quickly and easily in 3 months. It's easy to do when you are as overweight as I was. However, I then stopped losign weight and even though my runnning mileage was ramping up quite significantly the weight was not coming off. This app got me totally back on track. It's amazing and I don't know why or how it is free but it is.

02/01/2013 at 12:59

I discovered this app yesterday so have started today!! its only allowing me 1400 cals on days wtihout exercise! that is going to be tough going. Great incentive to train though as it allows me to eat more!

02/01/2013 at 13:12

Yup I am allowed 1410 and it can be done without exercise.. but it's a lot more fun WITH lol

02/01/2013 at 13:35

2012 was a good year for me, first full year of running since 2009.   Got injured in Feb 2010 and did not sort it out until Oct 2011.   did a 10k PB of 44 mins, Sheffield half PB of 1.44 followed by a PB of 1.38 in the GNR.   Ran 1138 miles for the year and slowly built up to 40 miles per week 

This year the plan is continue to build up to 60 mpw, I have entered Blackpool mara, Sheffield Half and my A run is the Ladybower 35 mile.  

02/01/2013 at 13:50

yup its a great incentive I find! might even get out for a plod or swim tonight! we'll see.. still suffering from tuesday night though!

02/01/2013 at 14:03

I find it great now that they put the calories on the packet,     looking at the Marathon I have just had,    296 calories so that means the first 3.5 miles of my run tonight are needed just to get rid of one Marathon     snickers if you are younger than me

02/01/2013 at 16:04
Not had chance to run today yet as OH back at work and kids still on hols. Ice skating this morning at natural history museum and managed not to fall over or hurt myself!

Khanivore, that's brilliant on the weight loss and I bet running will help ensure you don't put it on again.

Shades, how will you celebrate 300 marathons?!! Is there a world record for the number of marathons done? You must be close.

Easy 5 miles tonight and then rest tomorrow.

Shades, my last Sunday runs have been 16, 17, 18 miles. Feel fine so should I try and do 20 this weekend or would it be better to cut back down first?
02/01/2013 at 17:15

Bingo!!! I found an injury on a website which seems to match exactly what I am experiencing! It is called Hamstring Tendonitis/Tendinopathy. Are you guys familiar with this? From my limited reading it seems I need to do hamstring stretches and also hip flexor stretches. I may also need to strengthen my glutes and hamstrings apparently which sounds like it won't be any fun and which I will avoid unless someone tells me it's essential (I hate the gym, weights, and doing stuff that involves not moving including the treadmill).

I am very happy that I have found the name for what I have as at least now I can research it better

02/01/2013 at 17:21

ps. I realise I have become a bit of an injury bore. Sorry. I know it can't make very interesting reading. I am going to start a general thread on the subject to get a variety of opinions.

Edited: 02/01/2013 at 17:21
02/01/2013 at 20:54

Hmm

I thought i would see what the paces are for the target times erm yeah kinda interesting...

5k sub 23 pace is 7:24 so 7:20
10k sub 47 pace is 7:33 so 7:30
10 mile sub 77 pace is 7:42 so 7:40, 7:35 would be better
half sub 1:45 pace is 8:01 so 8:00, or more like 7:50-7:55
full sub 3:45 pace is 8:35 so 8:30

THe so ones are to allow for long courses and garmin weirdness. Dont worry i do check overdistance on garmin at each marker and can do the maths whilst running at speed too

Now to work out how the heck to train for that lot I suppose i will now actually have to bother with speed work although with a 5k nearby (well sorta still a little under a hours drive away) it should be a little better.

Edited: 02/01/2013 at 20:57
02/01/2013 at 21:03

Keith thanks for sharing that. I am hoping to do what you are doing now in a couple of years maybe so it is REALLY interesting for me to read what you have done and what you plan to do. Do you keep a blog?

03/01/2013 at 07:21

Emmy - IOM is getting easier to get to now.  Most recently I've flown from Bristol and also Gloucester. Lots of runners just drive to Liverpool and travel over on the ferry as a foot passenger.

bootsie - when's the wedding, is it May?

S3200H - is the Ladybower an off road event?

Slowkoala - no the world record is way higher, but don't know what it is and there's some countries Marathon Clubs allow what we would only consider as training runs so it's a controversial issue what can and count as a marathon.  I no longer am concerned about numbers just want to continue doing them as long as i want to, I would be pleased to get to 500 though

Re long run, if you're feeling good then go ahead especially as the weather is good at the moment and sometimes in the winter you just have to take advantage of good conditions.   A step back week next week for you on the long run though.

Big G - will reply to your email today.

Khanivore - well that's good news though tendonitis can be troublesome to get rid of, a very softly softly approach.  Do you have a stretching routine that you use when you are running?

PSC    pirate
03/01/2013 at 08:02

IOM sounds interesting.... 

Morning Shadies..   Warm out today, T Shirt warm!  This weather is strange.

03/01/2013 at 08:41

hiya no, not till sept shades

going to fit in a lunchtime run today all going well!

03/01/2013 at 09:05
Hi Shades, no I don't have a stretch while running. Do you mean during my run before I get home? If so can you suggest one and tell me how often I should do it?
03/01/2013 at 09:07

Morning all,

It's grey, raining and 10'c... very strange weather at the moment!

@Shades - I've been looking into the IOM marathon but trying to get to Bristol/Liverpool is quite a trek. It's probably easier for me to drive!

03/01/2013 at 09:09

8 mile easy in driving rain yesterday. run felt confidence-inspiringly effortless and i quite enjoyed the rain although i did get a few odd looks from passing cars.

03/01/2013 at 09:45

Hi Shades

yes it is mostly off road, there is a 3 mile section that is on the pavement next to a road, but the only traffic is from people coming to run,walk or cycle round the reservoirs.  the 15mile loop it is about 50-50 tarmac/path.  the paths are very wide and good to run on.   there is 20,35 or 50mile to choose from.  Its only about 20 mins drive from my house, so do a lot of training there.    

http://www.enduranceevents.co.uk/ladybower-50/

03/01/2013 at 11:51

I did 5 miles on Tues and 5 miles today. Both runs had two things in common. I found it hard to control pace in both even though I am wearing a Garmin and keeping an eye on pace. I ended up running 9:20 min/mile instead of my target 10 min/mile. My heart rate was way higher than it usually is on the first run and it was even higher on todays run. Of course the higher heart rate is in part due to the faster pace. I know it is also in part due to the remenants of the cold that I have. I wonder how much of it is due to a loss of fitness though?

I spent 20 minutes stretching after my run. I followed the P&D stretching routine. I need to do this every day. That will take a lot of discipline.

03/01/2013 at 12:44

Yeh, my pace control is poor too. I ran 8 miles Tues, 6 miles yesterday and ran all of these with a 9.15 pace average (should be 9.20 - 9.50), which I'm OK with, but my mins/mile do vary a bit. Not sure if this is the up and down route I ran though? I use a Ipod for music, and I'm sure I could use the right tracks to control my pace 

The 5 mile Tempo I'm running on Friday (can't run today) I need to get within the 7.55 - 8.10 prescribed, so will have to sharpen up the pace control. I've got a Garmin too and don't know how I could run without it. 

After a weeks' skiing last week, my legs are really aching though, but stretching is good

Happy New Year all 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.