Shades Marathon Training

58,421 to 58,440 of 67,862 messages
03/01/2013 at 14:54

thanks shades!

5.2 miles done today averaging 8:37 min mile and it felt  a struggle.  Its a tough enough course around the reigate 10km but still feeling sluggish! must be all those mince pies!

03/01/2013 at 15:04

bootsie where abouts are you? I am in Horley. I was wondering if you wanted to do some runs together at some point. 

Edited: 03/01/2013 at 15:24
03/01/2013 at 15:33
Hi all Shadies,

Thanks for the advise, Shades re long run. Going to see how I feel this weekend as 20 miles sounds a looooong way!

My 5 easy miles felt a bit tiring last night but think it was because I'm not used to running in the evening, plus I went a bit too fast. I was also way too hot - cant believe this weather!

I have never stretched before running but have started doing some for a couple of mins after my long runs. I felt fine after my 18 miler but think this was because I kept moving all afternoon (shopping) rather than collapsing on sofa which is what I usually do.

First day back at work today but could have been worse ...
03/01/2013 at 15:40

oh cool Khanivore! well i live in edenbridge and I work in reigate so milling around that area! its generally lunchtime runs in reigate and then weekend in edenbridge

03/01/2013 at 15:40

I do not like off road either Shades, hate looking at feet placement all the time.  

If you look at the route map on the web site the left hand side is tarmac all the way, the right hand side is good wide paths until about the last mile where it narrows a bit and there are a few rocks in the path but not a problem.  the only slight drawback for me is that road side has 2 gates but you can run over the cattle grid and the path side has about 4 gates that you have to go through.

03/01/2013 at 19:36

S3299H/ Shades - Ladybower also has some mud (through the wood), steps, grass and around the top end (if it's raining) the sandy path turns into a stream and there is a horrible very stoney (as in big, uneven fixed stones) path which is difficult to run on - ok the first time round, but next time you know what's coming . Rest is ok, and very pretty, but not as flat as we were led to believe (Peak District 'flat' being VERY different to southern 'flat' ). Not sure if I would do it again, think they might be doing a 70 miler as well this year.

03/01/2013 at 22:45

All this talk of 35, 50 and 70 mile runs is making me dizzy!

Bootsie I have never run with anyone else and I think you may be a bit faster than me, not sure. You can check out my runs on Strava if you are on that and if you would like to team up after seeing what I have been doing let me know

04/01/2013 at 07:18

Khanivore - even with all the recommended stretching etc, you could easily still become injured.   It's just part of running and we are not all superhuman with perfect bodies

Slowkoala - if you feel a little jaded then do a stepback week this week and so the 20 next weekend.

Everyone should do a basic few stretches after a run, calfs, quads and hamstrings.

S3200H - I've looked at the website, but not for me as you have to carry your own water, I am incredibly lazy and like a drink station at least every 5 miles.

mowzer - and your piccy is on the website home page

Lovely and mild again today, great running weather, and it's Friday

04/01/2013 at 08:29

Hi all,

Just wanted to pop in to wish everyone a great weekend. I've arrived in Surrey in preparation for the Enigma Winter Double this weekend.

@Shades - FF has said that he would like to me do two even paced efforts this weekend but i've not heard back from him about which pace should I stick to. Do you think 11mm is OK?

Enjoy your runs this weekend

04/01/2013 at 08:45
Good luck for the EWD, Emmy. Just looked it up as hadn't heard of it. You must be mad but hope it all goes well.

Tempo run for me today, 1 mile warm up then 3 miles tempo and then1 mile cool down. Shades, I am feeling a bit tired so may cut back on Sunday in a bid to try and remain fighting fit.

Happy weekends everyone.
04/01/2013 at 08:47

Mad is a common description i've heard lately

Have a great run, Slowkoala!

04/01/2013 at 08:58
Morning Shadies

Good luck Emmy at the Lake. Hope you have a good time with all those lovely people

I've just entered IOM for Shades 300th marathon! Looking forward to that!
04/01/2013 at 08:58

6 mile tempo for me this evening after work. ugh...

having initially struggled with the pace of my easy and LSR runs, i now find them quite relaxing and it's the tempo ones i don't really look forward to. can't win. lol...

04/01/2013 at 09:02

@VR - Will I see you at the pub tonight?

I'd love to do IOM... I might need to see if i can get an extended weekend pass from hubby

04/01/2013 at 09:04
Do you guys stay at the iom overnight or do you go there do the race and come back the same day? Is it a good place to take toddlers for the weekend?
04/01/2013 at 09:41
Emmy- I'm not there this weekend! Never entered it. *goes off to check*
04/01/2013 at 09:45
Phew!

Khanivore - we are going for a few days I believe. It will be my first time there but I'm sure families are welcome.
04/01/2013 at 11:36

Onto week 3 of the plan for London, going well so far.

Q on pacing tempo runs. I think I'm running them a little to fast but not sure. I haven't got any recent 5k or 10k times so just going on feel. Read a few things that say it should be a pace you can sustain for around an hour if you had to, if that's the case then I'm def going to fast.

I do 1 mile warm up then 3 tempo & 1 mile cool down. I added 1/2 mile onto the tempo bit last night (just to see how that felt) & would have struggled to do another half mile. The 3 miles feels hard but manageable, but certainly couldn't hold it for an hour. At a guess I'm running somewhere between 5k & 10k pace. Feel fine the next day.

04/01/2013 at 12:38

was going to do hill reps at lunchtime today but with a long run tomorrow morning i think today can be a rest day! Khanivore maybe we could do a long run one day somewhere pretty!

04/01/2013 at 13:28

Emmy - good luck for the weekend.   11 min/mile for both days might be pushing it as that would give you 2 x 4.48 marathons.

Slowkoala - I think you need an easy weekend

Sofaboy - if you're tired do an easy run instead.

Khanivore - I think it might be difficult to get to IOM and back in a day. Ferry details here http://www.steam-packet.com/ 

KingKenny - do you have any previous race times that we can use to calculate your paces?   If it feels too fast then ease up just a little.

VR - goody re IOM entry, am negotiating time off work....actually I will just be taking the time off work irrespective of my colleague who wants the time off but isn't going anywhere for her hols.   My 300th marathon takes priority IMHO...LOL

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.