Shades Marathon Training

58,461 to 58,480 of 65,070 messages
06/01/2013 at 07:50

Slowkoala - I'm glad the rest has made you feel refreshed, have a good run today.

My colleague might want that fortnight off in August where I want 2 days in the middle of the same fortnight.

Khanivore - just doing what mileage I can, but I've had a couple of niggles so mileage hasn't been significant.

If you're running pain free then yes, do 10 miles this weekend.   If you still have a little discomfort (but much less than before) then just 5 miles.    If you go straight back onto the plan without your injury healing you will be back on the injury bench and probably for a lot longer this time.

VR - well done on the 16 miles you earned your lunch

Emmy Lee - will email you the plans.   Sweets or dried fruit, maybe an energy bar.   I would suggest for your long runs you eat breakfast, you will certainly need to on race day so you need to used to eating before you run.   Breakfast tops up your glycogen stores.   Start getting used to it by just eating something small and over the weeks gradually increase the amount.

bootsie - well done, have you a marathon planned this year?

06/01/2013 at 09:01
I've joined the injury bench with a slight achilles issue so have eased off this week and have been going to the gym instead (yawn!!). It feels ok (not 100%, but it's not painful as such ...more of a very slight discomfort) when walking around but when I lightly squeeze it there is some pain. The pain/discomfort has been reducing over the 6 days I've taken off. I'd say on a scale of 1-10 the pain when I squeeze it is only a 2, but I am wary of achilles injuries.

Annoyingly, I felt it go when I was out for a long walk in the new year and not when running although I appreciate it still could be running induced. I do have a dilemma as my gym membership runs out on the 8th Jan and I was planning on not renewing it.

I'm thinking I'll go for a slow trot on the treadmill tomorrow and see how it is and then make my mind up about the membership. Or should I wait until the pain has completely gone before attempting even a slow trot?
06/01/2013 at 09:07

Big G - a gentle short run (no hills) might be a good idea to test it.   It  will probably be the following day that you'll know if there's been any after effects.

Probably not worth renewing your gym membership if you know you won't use it.

06/01/2013 at 09:34
Thanks Shades. I'll go to the gym today and do some cycling/x-training and then do a slow, flat 4-miler tomorrow and see how I am.

The reason I was reconsidering renewing the membership is I'm wary of the dreaded weight gain.... I'm currently stable, but if I don't do much exercise I know I'll have to go onto rations soon
06/01/2013 at 11:48
Hi all Shadies,

Nice and flat 16 miles for me today. Stuck at 8.30 pace throughout and felt quite comfortable. Met my family for breakfast in a park cafe so have refuelled well!

Hope everyone else has has good runs today.
06/01/2013 at 13:27

Fastkoala - i dream of the day when i can run 8:30 min/mile for 16 miles! Well done  

Shades - oops. I read your post after my run. I felt great. No niggles no pains. I kept my feet light on the ground and focussed on keeping my lower legs extremely relaxed. I ended up running 18 miles at 10 min/mile - came home and just had a good old stretch. Now time for a shower and some food!

06/01/2013 at 13:29

ps shades - i stopped for 1 or 2 mins every 5 miles to stretch my hamstring. Is it ok to do this or does that ruin my long run training effect?

06/01/2013 at 15:54
Big_G in my experience weight gain is more to do with what you eat than how much exercise you do. I no longer see being sensible about what I eat, how much I eat and when I eat it as rations. I just see it as a way of life.
06/01/2013 at 17:06

Blimey - Shades at 300 marathons, VR doing 34 marathons last year, Slowkoala doing 18 miles at 8.30, Khanivore coming back from injury !!!!

It's all going on 

I stuck to the plan today and ran 14 miles at 9.50 pace - realy felt like I was deliberately going slower to try to manage my pace better, and will build up across the next few months. I found the tempo run quite tough this week, but will stick at it. The first quicker tempo mile was uphill and it meant I'd taken a lot out of my legs I think - better planning next week for a decent flat 5 mile tempo run I feel 

I've gotta say that without Shade's  plan and tracking this on my Garmin I'd be running completely blind, the plan really helps me to stay focused and on track.

Good work all

Tim

06/01/2013 at 18:27
Well done Rattler. I'm finding the tempo run the hardest of the week too and I always run it on the flat. But i think i found it worst this week as ran in the evening which i don't like. What Garmin do you use? I sent back my 410 as found it too complex & now can't decide between the 110 and 210.

Khanivore - 18 miles?!! That's a very speedy recovery for you! Hope you are still feeling great.

Can't believe how mild this weather is. Sooo glad I didn't fork out for gym membership for December or January.
Edited: 06/01/2013 at 18:28
06/01/2013 at 18:42
I had some soreness but I keep stretching and it seems to be gone again So sleepy!
06/01/2013 at 18:56

@Slowkoala - it's the Garmin 610 - i was lucky enough to get this for my Birthday in November and it's a Godsend - even use the macthed footpad to track my gym/treadmills runs with it when GPS isn't available.

I haven't really looked at the other Garmins to know how relatively complex the 610 might be, there are a lot of options for sure and its very configurable, but once its set up (and unusually I invested some time in reading the manual) its pretty straightforward really. 

I can track my pace easily and have it set to report pace every 0.5 mile and so I can adjust quickly. The display can be set to show just a timer, just a pace counter, or just distance, or all three at once - and works well as a watch too. There are some user guides on YouTube that can help with this too.

I'd recommend it -  a quick websearch shows that this sells for £199 or so and seems to have been reduced £100 recently. 

Tim

06/01/2013 at 20:04
Khani, to be honest for me it's exercise, food and booze. If any one of these goes in the wrong direction the weight goes on. Reducing the booze seems to have the most positive impact though, in that a) I'm more up for running and b) I'm saving the 200-300 cals per pint.
06/01/2013 at 20:13
It's not easy is it mate. Good luck with it and keep plugging away. Are you usin the myfitnesspal app?
07/01/2013 at 07:05

Slowkoala - well done on your long run.

Khanivore - I think you will get injured again, 18 miles is far too much coming back from injury and you've said there was some soreness afterwards.

Of course you can stop and stretch during a long run.

Rattler - that's good and exactly how your long run should feel especially in the early stages.   Find a flatter route for your tempo run, uphill would be very tough.

07/01/2013 at 07:51

Hello all, this is just a quick one before I write a 'proper' report later. I DID IT!!!! My first marathon double!... and get this:

Day 1: 5:23:48
Day 2: 5:23:49

Talk about consistency! I would have loved to have been 2 seconds faster yesterday though! I'm alive, a tad sore.... (my feet are the worst suprisingly) and am trying to work out some of the other niggles. I'm going to have a stretch and massage today before getting back to it tomorrow. 

07/01/2013 at 08:02
Wow Emmy, that's a brilliant achievement, you must feel so proud of yourself. And what a consistent pace. Can't believe you didn't slow down in the second one, I think I would have collapsed if I'd already done one the previous day! You must have great endurance. No signs of the injury? That's good if you just have a bit of soreness. Hope you aren't working today!

Rattler, thanks for watch advise. 610 sounds good but I think I'm going to opt for one with fewer bells and whistles this time as I struggled with the 410! Shame Apple don't make one, I bet that would be nice and simple
07/01/2013 at 08:12

Emmy - brilliant, great pacing.  Enjoy the recovery.

Slowkoala - I have a 305, very straightforward to use, it has a heart rate monitor but you don't have to use it.

Edited: 07/01/2013 at 08:12
07/01/2013 at 08:34

Emmy - that's fantastic!!  Well done!

Slowkoala - I also have the 305 and agree it's straightforward to use although it also has the flexibility that you can change the default display options if you want/need to.  Basically though, once it's found the satellites (in my experience this can take a minute or so) you just hit start/stop and you're off!  

If you can get hold of one, they're recommended and they're very popular.  I've just quickly checked Amazon though and they currently seem more expensive than the 405 which is a newer model.  If that is the case, I think the 405 is more or less the same as the 305 the main difference (to me) being that it uses a wireless ANT stick to connect the watch to the PC as opposed to a wired dock which the 305 uses.

07/01/2013 at 08:59

I have the Garmin 610. took me a while to get used to it but its a neat bit of kit.

Knani - You've been told off! At least you didn't get one of Shades 'stern looks' Lol!

Emmy - Fantastic! Its a big deal to get through a double, especially your first one. Well done Do not rush back though. Your body will need a rest!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.