Shades Marathon Training

58,481 to 58,500 of 66,162 messages
07/01/2013 at 09:02

14 mile LSR yesterday ended at 12.5 with seriously achy feet. got home and checked out my shoes. seems i bought my new pair a little late, the old ones are knackered.

for run tracking i just use Endomondo on my smartphone. it lets me customise what is shown on the display from a huge range of options and i've got it set to give me lap pace and average pace every 0.5 miles. if i wanted to it would also give me target splits, follow specific routes and link via bluetooth to a HRM. all for £3.95.

07/01/2013 at 09:45

Another 305 user here, little bit big but don't really notice it. Display is easy to read & just set autolap every .5 mile to keep pace in check. Would def recommend.

Well done Emmy, back to back marathons with times like that can't be easy.

14m hillyish LSR done yesterday, half of it off road & managed 9:51 average. Quite hard to keep even pace off road so just make sure I'm not pushing to hard. 3 weeks of the plan completed now. Going well so far.

300 marathons is a massive achievement, my next marathon has a 3 in it as well but no zero's

07/01/2013 at 10:33

Fantastic Emmy well done.

Slowkoala depends what you want from the watch, the 110 has no set up will record your distance, pace and some do heart rate, the 210 has a few more options and also has the option to use indoors.  I have the 305 also fantastic watch, but probably only use half of the functions.    when i am running all i really want to see is my heart rate, pace and agv pace, i do enjoy looking through all the data on my pc when i get back though.

Khanivore, dare i say it is a bit silly to run 18 miles after being injured for 3 weeks, i know you did a coupkle of 5 milers first but at the time you posted that i felt you may be doing a bit to much to soon.   

07/01/2013 at 13:02

@Khani - I agree with S3200H. You've not been off the injury bench for long... take it easy.

Here's my race report from the Enigma Winter Double. I've kept it on my 4.30 thread to avoid spamming lots of other threads with the same story. I feel really great (apart from some soreness...)

07/01/2013 at 13:18

hiya hlil reps in reigate I do up the side of priory park.. short enough ones but think its still good!

shades, no marathon plans as yet.. keen to see how the training goes for me .. really can't handle another month long injury this year so just trying to enjoy injury free running and see where it takes me! Races I have lined up are...

kenley 10km - 27th jan

brighton half - 17th feb

Ballycotton 10 - 3rd March

Back to the trenches - 9th march

sussex living marathon weekend - 1st weekend in may

thats all she wrote!

07/01/2013 at 18:51
I did a slow and steady 4 miles on a flat route (Paignton-Preston and back twice, for those who know the area) after work. My achilles felt fine, if a little tight for the first mile or so.

I'll continue to stretch it out regularly and if it's okay I was planning on doing 5ish on each of Wednesday and Friday, and if still okay maybe 8-10 on Sunday (all slow and steady, on a flat route). How does that sound?

If I wake up tomorrow and I'm hobbling around I'll review....
07/01/2013 at 19:41
Thanks for all the watch advise (again!), I'll get there in the end!

Seems like the 305 is the most popular but difficult to get one new nowadays. Found a 210 with HRM for ??150 so have ordered that. It seems similar to the 110 but has current pace option and you can program intervals (not that I do these but good to have things you can grow into). Good review on Rainmaker so will give it a go...

Sofaboy, I use my phone too but was worried that the battery wouldn't last a marathon so wanted to try another option.

Bootsie, I'm doing Brighton HM too, staying with a friend who lives there who is doing it too.

Emmy, loved the race report and great pics too.
07/01/2013 at 20:03

I've not really looked at the Heart Rate Monitors for the Garmin - are these worthwhile?

07/01/2013 at 20:11
Never used one before but it didn't cost much more to get one with it included and might want to try one day.
07/01/2013 at 20:39
I love my garmin HRM
07/01/2013 at 20:49

Hi Emmy, are you using it to just monitor your HR or using your HR to set your running pace and distance etc?

07/01/2013 at 21:00
Hi Rattler, I use it for both. I have alerts for high heart rate but I also do my training based on heart rate. My runs are always done within a certain limit (tempo for one, easy on another). I have a heart condition so have done it to make sure that I'm within safe limits.

To be honest it takes longer to build up endurance but you're training is more reliable as the heart rate takes stuff like illness and stress into consideration
07/01/2013 at 21:09

Makes sense, thanks Emmy and congrats on the Enigma Double 

07/01/2013 at 22:56
I'm struggling to fit a long run into my schedule at the weekend. I usually go to running club on a Wednesday (where I do efforts) do a run on a Thursday, parkrun on a Saturday and a run with some girls from the club on a Monday. Now, the girls on a Monday run at the right speed for my LSR so what I've been doing is running 4-5 miles with them and then tacking more miles onto the end.

But I can't just carry on as the ethos of the club is that nobody runs alone, despite living in a tiny town with practically no crime and I run alone on Thursdays anyway. So what I do is I do the 4-5 miles, say goodbye, drive off and park, then do my extra miles.

Is this counter-productive to the reason for the LSR or is it okay?
08/01/2013 at 07:20

Big G - hope the achilles is OK today.

I live in a built up area and my 305 isn't quick to pick up a signal so I put my 305 on the window sill while I'm getting ready for my run and it picks up a signal from there.   So I can go straight out the door and run

Sofaboy - ditch those shoes (at least for running) lucky you didn't get injured

Emmy - I shall read your report later, am looking forward to that. 

bootsie - what's 'back to the trenches'?  sounds like there's some mud involved

KingKenny - I've been running marathons for quite a long time although I don't do as many in one year as mowzer and VR do, so they'll soon catch me up.   Most I've done in one year is 25 but I may exceed that this year but only because I have to squeeze quite a few in to hit 300 byt 11th August.

Rattler - HRM on 305 is very good, has been more reliable than previous HRM's I've used

Nykie - re your long runs that is absolutely fine to split your run like that.

Another lovely mild morning.

Good news, I've had my holiday leave approved for my trip to the IOM, but my colleague doesn't seem pleased, even though she can take the same time off

08/01/2013 at 08:01

Shades - good news about your holiday  I wonder why your colleague is displeased...seems odd.  Oh well, at least you've had it approved!

My achilles seems fine this morning - a little bit tight, but no pain.  I'll do stretches today, and will do a slow 5-miler tomorrow presuming that the pain stays away.

08/01/2013 at 08:32

Emmy - Wow! Congratulations!!, an amazing achievement and I really enjoyed reading your report. I much prefer running a circular route and find laps hard going so to do TWO consecutive marathons of laps unbelievable. What a great start to your year!

After a good week last week I have been struck down with sickness bug (I just LOVE my children). Feeling better today but too weak to do scheduled 16k. Hate rearranging my planned runs as have organised distances/times around work and family committments and the head space that takes to rearrange defeats me sometimes. Good news is that I have lost weight

Excellant news for your time off work Shades!

08/01/2013 at 08:34

Thanks Shades. Your colleague sounds jealous. As though she was trying to scupper your 300th marathon timing by requesting holiday.

08/01/2013 at 09:20

Ouch!

after my slightly abortive LSR on sunday and a more competetive than usual session of squash last night I've now got seriously achy legs. both Hamstrings feel pretty tight (possibly due to excessive lunging for little rubber balls), as does my right calf.

supposed to have a 5 mile easy tonight, but might do it at LSR pace and see how it goes. thankfully, living in a little village, i can't really head out into the countryside in the dark. so i'll never be more than a mile or so from home should i need to bail.

08/01/2013 at 10:37

lots of mud shades! its a military thing i thought i would give a go for a laugh! thankfully just after ballycotton so any injuries should be manageable if i slip

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.