Shades Marathon Training

58,521 to 58,540 of 66,920 messages
08/01/2013 at 19:49

I couldn't run 5 mins in May and I am trainging for the VLM. You can see my blog at http://ninjakhan.co.uk and see if that has anything useful for you.

08/01/2013 at 19:55

Thanks KV, I'll check this out, your story is impressive for sure, even if you don't always do as advised  - glad your running is back on track and you've found a way of managing the injury.

Ideally I'm looking for a blog from someone who's completed the VLM in previous years and so I can track my progress against theirs.

Tim

08/01/2013 at 19:59
Ahh if you find an interesting one please do share it.
08/01/2013 at 22:44

I've found the below that has loads of V:M Blogs http://www.realbuzz.com/blogs/events/virgin-london-marathon/?items=60&page=5

Need to search through to find a comparable runner and plan though. Tim

09/01/2013 at 07:15

Slowkoala - if my colleague ever wants time off for a marathon I too will need time off to be treated for shock.

Rattler - try any of the Super Six on RW forums, there are loads of threads.   Doesn't need to be VLM, the training is the same be it VLM or Paris.   I would think they are under Training as Spring Marathon is a fairly new grouping.  The runners were mentored by Steve Smith, Liz Yelling etc and were reporting back at least daily on their training progress and discussing any problems etc

09/01/2013 at 09:17

@Shades - I prefer Forum6 

@Mowser - Get well soon

I'm off out for a swim tonight before heading to Frankfurt tomorrow for 2 days and some quality running.

How is everyone else getting on?

09/01/2013 at 10:38
8 mile mwlr done - plenty of stretching afterwards. Kids went back to school today and it feels like routine is returning. Off to the city for meetings - will go to my first swimming lesson in 30 years tonight if I can make it back on time!
09/01/2013 at 11:03

Good morning boys and girls.... 

Been a while since i was last here so i hope everyone has had a good christmas and new year.

" new years resolution" get running shoes back on and enter edinburgh marathon... Done. The 6 mnth break from training hasnt been too kind on me as i have put on a bit of weight but i am all systems go...so much so that santa brought me a super duper garmin gps watch (which i loooove) and have already found it invaluable in the few runs i have done..great for pacing slower runs..

well ill be checking in frequently and hope your new years running goals are reached..

09/01/2013 at 13:25

Emmy - have a good time in Frankfurt.  How are your legs?

Khanivore - I take it you can swim already?   This is the first step to your IM training I guess

Iain - good to 'see' you again.   How are the knees?

09/01/2013 at 14:12

Hi Shades... Knees are good thanks.(touch wood) have been on the bike mostly so fitness is ok and the 3 runs i have done have shown no signs of any discomfort so all is good. 

09/01/2013 at 17:05
Hi Iain, nice to meet you and look forward to your updates.

shades, I can swim but I am slow. This is not so much about ironman as it is about improving general fitness. I wanted to run more but with the state of my leg as it is I do not want to aggravate and create injuries. I have made the very hard decision to restrict myself to 4 days of running per week

So, I will augment my training with swimming and cycling. It may one day lead to ironman but the way I feel right now I do want to focus on running until I can do a 3:45 marathon (I realise it may never happen but I believe you have to set bold goals). I am really enjoying running more than I ever thought I would.
09/01/2013 at 20:05
Hi Shadies,
Everyone seems really focussed and motivated at the moment..must be a combo of marathon schedules and January goals.
Just did 8 miles easy. Was not looking forward to it as I am not an evening runner. But like all runs, once I was out there, I really enjoyed it. Am really loving running at the moment. I forget I have only been doing it for less than 2 years. Weird as now I really can't imagine life without it.

Good thing about slower paced runs is not having to wash running tops after every run as they seem less sweaty - is that disgusting?

Khanivore, hope the swimming lesson went well. I swim most weeks on Friday nights but have a rubbish technique (never had lessons) so could never do triathlons.

Emmy, how are you feeling?!

Iain, have just ordered a garmin too so looking forward to using it soon.
09/01/2013 at 20:21

Slowkoala, I never knew how much detail is saved so when i upload the map and details onto the pc i always am able to pinpoint the areas i need work on. I am one of these runners that cant do slow runs, i might start off slow but by the end of my run, no matter if it 6 miles or 16, i will have upped the pace to my race pace so the watch helps with setting a slower pace and i can see if i am behind or ahead..

Khanivore, pleasure to meet you too. if it werent for my cycling, my fitness would of dropped in my 6 mnth break from running but i dont think i could of added swimming to that too.. although i am tempted to try a triathlon some time.

09/01/2013 at 22:51

The swimming lessons turned out to be organised training rather than lessons However, the coach did give me some good advice that made a difference right away. It was a proper workout though. My arms are tingling - they have not been used so much for quite some time I plan to go regularly. It was really nice swimming with a group!

10/01/2013 at 07:18

Iain - I'm pleased to hear your knees are OK.   The Garmin will indeed help you to pace your runs in line with your training and not to 'race' all the time.

Khanivore - 4 days a week running is plenty, remember you've been running for less than a year.

The swimming session sounds really good.

Slowkoala - I can tell you love your running.  

I always shove all my kit in the laundry basket after every run, probably explains why I have the washing machine on every day and there's only me.

VR and I are going to our first BOKWA class tonight, and cause we think we're tough we're going to do a Kettlecise class first.  

Lovely run today in light rain

10/01/2013 at 10:06

Intervals today.. its going to be painful - first day back with trainer after christmas

10/01/2013 at 10:14

I haven't done intervals yet. They sound really hard. I think I will skip them in training for my first marathon Easy option I know! Good luck with them - hope you enjoy them!

I'm going to try a brick session - 1hr turbo trainer session (using trainerroad.com to make sure I keep the intensity right) immediately followed by a 5 mile easy pace run.

10/01/2013 at 12:05

I did Hill reps last night. Soo hard  Enough said.

10/01/2013 at 12:10

VR - I was going to do that session, but thought better of it with my achilles, although that seems fine now.  I just did a slow 5-miler yesterday and enjoyed it.

So, I'm planning a 5 mile run tomorrow and a slightly longer one on Sunday.  If okay after that, I'm hoping to be back to "normal" training next week.

10/01/2013 at 13:06

VR - up that hill...lovely

Big G - very sensible, that hill is too steep for a niggly achilles.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.