Shades Marathon Training

58,541 to 58,560 of 66,403 messages
10/01/2013 at 13:09

intervals were hard going.. hit my chest big time so must be alot colder today! dont feel like soup now though

10/01/2013 at 13:14

I went out for an "easy" 8 miler yesterday, but felt cold enough that I upped it to a 7 mile tempo run instead to get warm - adaptability is the key  

10/01/2013 at 13:35

lol rattler!!

10/01/2013 at 15:37
Looking forward to hearing about your next run Rattler as its forecast to be a lot colder soon
10/01/2013 at 16:01

oooh no.. winter woolies on for long run sat morning!

do people generally find it better to rest the day before a long run or train?

10/01/2013 at 19:29

Shades, I'm currently doing an efforts session with my club on Wednesday nights. For example, run to where we're doing them, then do 4k split up into 400m, 600m, 400m etc, then run back. It's about 5 miles in total. Would I be better doing a normal run instead of this? The run to and from is fairly fast (for me) as well.

10/01/2013 at 19:30

Well I've got an 8 mile easy planned for Friday and a 14 mile LSR for Sunday,  running in the cold is OK (ish) as long as you're prepared for it, which I wasn't yesterday - hence the increased pace 

Trouble is I sweat a lot and I need to dress for mid-run body temps (which are high) but this makes the start pretty chilly 

It's all a test 

10/01/2013 at 19:42
Bootsie, I usually do a club training session the day before my long run. It is usually fairly relaxed but I did avoid it last week as was a timed 10k and I knew that I would be tempted to race it.

Planning on doing a slow 20 miler this Sunday which I'm looking forward to in a way but keep hearing it's going to be minus 14 and maybe even snow, eek!
10/01/2013 at 19:59

Haha Rattler your LSR is going to be at record breaking pace if the weatherman is to be believed

I did a 5 mile easy run today. It was immediately preceeded by an hour on the turbo trainer though. I made the foolish mistake of not eating after breakfast at 8am so by the time I went out to the garage to get on the turbo at 4pm I was quite hungry. I didn't mean to miss lunch. It just happened and I knew that if I did not get out to the garage I would miss the session altogether.

All I could think about by the time I was out on the run was food. Weetabix to be precise. I fantasised about Weetabix for the entire run. I don't even particularly like Weetabix. I think they popped in to my head because that is what I fed the twins at breakfast.

When I got home there was a pot of very very cheesy pasta on the hob (left overs from the kids dinner). I wolfed a bowl of that down, drank two glasses of apple juice, 3 glasses of water, 1 digestive biscuit, 2 shortbread biscuits and 2 cadburys roses chocolates in about 5 mins flat. I felt a bit sick during my stretch  

Lesson learned - AGAIN. I wrote it up at my blog http://ninjakhan.co.uk/2013/01/10/hungry-brick/

Edited: 10/01/2013 at 20:01
10/01/2013 at 21:21

Did a 5.5 tempo run tonight and decided to drop the tempo pace down a bit.

Splits were 8:06, 8:01, 7:57, 8:00  with a mile warmup and .5 mile cool down either end.

Found that pace a lot easier than 7:40-7:45, so that's why I did 4 miles rather than the usual 3. But felt a lot fresher after and could have done another mile easily at that pace.

Really not sure what pace to run the tempos at!

Khanivore - I too demolish whatever I can see in the kitchen in the hour or so after a long run, nothing is safe!

Cold is ok, long slow runs you never seem to quite get warmed up though.

10/01/2013 at 22:04

Shades - Whats Blackpool like for PB potential? Pretty sure i'll have to skip Windermere this year in favour of one of them run and obstacle things down town as its the same day.

11/01/2013 at 07:22

Nykie - if you want to do the club session then do it in place of your tempo run.   But if you want to do an easy run instead of the club session then go ahead.

Rattler - I thought you'd be used to the cold after your ski trip

bootsie - it's up to you, but the day before a long run is a good time to take a rest day.

Khanivore - LOL at scoffing all that food, but you let yourself get too hungry.  

KingKenny - that's a good tempo run, stick to those paces you did last night and maybe in a couple of weeks just knock a couple of secs off each mile and you'll probably be fine.

Slowkoala - don't think it's this weekend for the -14 is it?

Keith - good flat fast course, BUT liable to strong winds off the sea, being where it is.   The only time I ran it the headwind was fierce and we had to run into it for over 10 miles.  So if conditions are good you'll be fine.

Frosty this morning for my run

Went to my first and last BOKWA class last night, hated it, there's no fitness benefit from it, suitable for anyone who never exercises, and boring as hell.   The girl that takes the class is amazing though, no reflection on her, except the acoustics from her head mike were terrible.

11/01/2013 at 08:18

Just looked up BOKWA on youtube. Looks like some kind of weird line dancing class more than exercise  

11/01/2013 at 08:21

Khanivore - you're just about right with your description of BOKWA.   But it is supposed to be an energetic work out, but it's not.   Anyway it was worth a try, only wasted an hour's sleep.

11/01/2013 at 08:29

I felt an idiot at BOKWA, until I turned round and there were about 30 other idiots!
never again.

11/01/2013 at 08:33
@Shades. Have you tried running in ski boots
11/01/2013 at 08:34

My upper right leg is sore at the back just above the knee. It seems to be the bottom of the biceps femoris muscle according to this picture: http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/media/101369/Posterior-view-of-the-right-leg-showing-the-muscles-of - Did some more reading and basically this is hamstring strain.

It's not a tendon thing like the left leg - this is definitely in a muscle. Good thing i have a 2 day break in running now. If it is still like this on Sunday I assume I should skip my long run and do it when the soreness is gone? I do have a sports massage booked for Monday so maybe that will help. 

I'm going to go for a swim today and not use my legs.

Edited: 11/01/2013 at 08:37
11/01/2013 at 08:49

How sore is it Khanivore? if its not too bad you could foam roll it after sitting on a hot water bottle. Ice it for 10 mins then heat and roll some more.
Seems to work for me. 

11/01/2013 at 08:52

Ohh thanks VR - it's not that sore really. I know it's there but it is not causing me to limp or anything. I have this foam roller  - it is very wide in diameter, 12 inches perhaps? Could I use this or do i need a thinner one? What is the best way to foam roller it? I would like to try what you are suggesting. Btw - i think I did this from swimming too hard in that class without warming up rather than from running.

11/01/2013 at 08:58

as snow is forecast for tomorrow, going to try and do my long run tonight.. its only about 10-12 miles but long for me!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.