Shades Marathon Training

58,561 to 58,580 of 66,920 messages
11/01/2013 at 08:58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHVaUNyrXtM

You should still be able to roll on the one you've got. 

11/01/2013 at 09:03

Cool - that's the one i was following I am doing that one now - the hot and cold bit takes a bit of organising so that will have to wait till tonight. Thanks for the tip.

Bootsie - snow? ARGH! You know what - I might just get one months membership at the gym and run on the treadmill. I have not run on a treadmill even once since I started training in May. I know they have to be set at 2% incline to simulate road conditions. They seem so boring though.

11/01/2013 at 09:58

Regarding feeling a bit of an idiot at a class I have a story.....

A few years ago, my wife was a regular aerobic class member.  However, she wanted to start using the gym but was nervous about joining the gym and using the equipment.

I (stupidly?) said that I would do an aerobics class with her first, if she would then come to the gym with me for me to show her the ropes.

Now, I am a 6ft 3in chap with no coordination although was of reasonable fitness at the time.  There was a class of about 30 people, and all the rest of the class were of the female of the species.  The class I went to involved a gym ball.  Let's just say I got a really good session in, but mainly because I spent most of the hour chasing the ball around the room  

At least my wife kept up her end of the bargain and went to the gym to use the equipment, which she still enjoys and attends regularly.  I'm trying to get her into running on the road, but she isn't playing ball on that one.  She has done a few half marathons and enjoyed them but says she doesn't enjoy training on the road.  She did come out with me for a trot on Xmas day though which was nice

11/01/2013 at 10:16

Thanks Shades, I'll do that and see where I am in a few weeks.

5 Easy tonight & then due to family commitments an early 12 miler in the morning, going to be a cold one!, no snow forecast for where I am so hopefully no surprises when I wake up.

I've just started using a foam roller, just a cheapish blue one. Seems to work so may invest in one of the more aggressive ones with knobbly bits on, are they much better ?  It's remembering to do it is the hard part, usually try stretch then foam roller straight after a run but not everytime.

11/01/2013 at 10:38

4.5 mile tempo. went off a bit quickly and lost the last 0.5.

thinking about one of these roller thingies as i tend to have quite sore calfs after a long or fast run. are they good?

11/01/2013 at 10:52
Shades, I think my friend may have got the wrong weekend re temperatures, it's only as low as 3 on Sunday so not too bad, but I just hope no snow.

5 mile tempo this morning, including a mile warm up and a mile warm down. Managed 7:17 on the tempo bit which is slower than my 10k and 5 mile pace but didn't feel I could go much harder.

Have a foam roller but don't use much. Always feels as though it is doing me good but never entirely sure. My OH has just bought one of those wobble boards which are fun to use as he is having physio for achilles problem
(football injury).
11/01/2013 at 11:20

We're spoilt aren't we with all this kit out there to make us feel better!
KingKenny - I think the knobbly foam rollers would be more painful!

Big G - LOL! I would of like to have seen you in that class!  

11/01/2013 at 11:26

what i wouldn't give for a 7:17 tempo pace. 7:40 is about my limit. although i did manage to pull a 7:12 pace out of the bag from somewhere at the willow 10km in october. nearly killed me though....lol.

11/01/2013 at 11:53

hmmm 3 laps of town tonight for 12 miler.. sounds very dull!

11/01/2013 at 12:16

Fastkoala how many years have you been running? I am well jealous of your pace!

I did a swim today - I thought I was going faster because of what I learned in that class I went to. I wasn't. I was going at exactly the same pace lol. Back to the drawing board

11/01/2013 at 12:54

i'd love to have time to swim as well. i spent a summer during uni living with a Gf at her parents place in N.Wales and worked nights with her dad in his village bakery. i swam a couple of miles most afternoons and absolutely loved it.

11/01/2013 at 12:56

Swam a couple of miles? Blimey I don't much feel like swimming after the 100 lengths which makes 1.55 miles. Between you and Fastkoala I am reminded of just how much of a newbie I am

11/01/2013 at 13:09

yeah, but i was 20, and spent all night hefting round bags of flour, trays of bread etc. i was definitely the fittest i've ever been and had shed loads of energy.

i've spent a large part of the intervening 15 years sat on the eponymous sofa, drinking beer.

11/01/2013 at 13:17

Good use of 15 years if you ask me Nice to see you are human after all!

11/01/2013 at 13:28

Khanivore - could you possibly rest until you've had your sports massage on Monday?   They may be able to give you a recovery programme to deal with your injuries.

bootsie - good idea to get that run in before the snow

Big G - LOL, that made me laugh out loud in the office.

VR - the difference is I expect the other idiots last night loved that class, we'll wait to find out.   Have booked up next week for Kettlecise and Supertone only.

back to work now....

11/01/2013 at 13:32

Shades - sure, yup i do plan to rest once I have done this turbo session tomorrow and the long slow run on Sunday. After that it's all rest until the massage on Monday. Sound like a plan?

11/01/2013 at 13:35
Sofaboy, re your 10k race pace, I find it really weird how much faster we can all manage in a race. Don't know how much is due to the extra adrenalin vs. tapering and nutrition.

Khanivore, I can't ever imagine swimming 100 lengths! I find swimming tires me more than running and I'm very slow. I think this is partly due to the fact that I don't know what to do with my legs so just kick out. A friend who does triathlons says its much easier when you're wearing a wet suit but would look a bit silly in my local pool!

Stated running in April 2011 but got injured after a few months so had 3 months of physio. Definitely means you appreciate it more when you do recover.
11/01/2013 at 13:38
Khanivore, you need to listen to Shades or you will get told off again
11/01/2013 at 14:14

Fastkoala - blimey you have not been running that long! You are bloody quick! Re swimming - it is a little pool so 100 lengths is only 2500m I'm also very very slow.. that 100 lengths took me 1hr 20mins

11/01/2013 at 14:57

cool, koala has a year on me, i only started in june last year. hopefully i can knock that extra 30 seconds a mile off in that time.

competitive, moi?

i always (well, the 4 races i've been in) run a LOT quicker in a race. i think it helps to have people to pace off of. in that 10km i was chasing a mate who's ex-army and runs ironmans for fun. and in my 1/2 where i knocked nearly 15 minutes off my training times, i'm slightly embarressed to admit that i spent the last 3 miles almost keeping up with a lady who had a most attractive rear aspect.

haven't swum in anger for years, but used to be reasonably good. the Ironman mate keeps trying to get me to enter a triathlon but i think Mrs Sofa would possibly kill me.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.