Shades Marathon Training

58,561 to 58,580 of 73,290 messages
11/01/2013 at 11:20

We're spoilt aren't we with all this kit out there to make us feel better!
KingKenny - I think the knobbly foam rollers would be more painful!

Big G - LOL! I would of like to have seen you in that class!  

11/01/2013 at 11:26

what i wouldn't give for a 7:17 tempo pace. 7:40 is about my limit. although i did manage to pull a 7:12 pace out of the bag from somewhere at the willow 10km in october. nearly killed me though....lol.

11/01/2013 at 11:53

hmmm 3 laps of town tonight for 12 miler.. sounds very dull!

11/01/2013 at 12:16

Fastkoala how many years have you been running? I am well jealous of your pace!

I did a swim today - I thought I was going faster because of what I learned in that class I went to. I wasn't. I was going at exactly the same pace lol. Back to the drawing board

11/01/2013 at 12:54

i'd love to have time to swim as well. i spent a summer during uni living with a Gf at her parents place in N.Wales and worked nights with her dad in his village bakery. i swam a couple of miles most afternoons and absolutely loved it.

11/01/2013 at 12:56

Swam a couple of miles? Blimey I don't much feel like swimming after the 100 lengths which makes 1.55 miles. Between you and Fastkoala I am reminded of just how much of a newbie I am

11/01/2013 at 13:09

yeah, but i was 20, and spent all night hefting round bags of flour, trays of bread etc. i was definitely the fittest i've ever been and had shed loads of energy.

i've spent a large part of the intervening 15 years sat on the eponymous sofa, drinking beer.

11/01/2013 at 13:17

Good use of 15 years if you ask me Nice to see you are human after all!

11/01/2013 at 13:28

Khanivore - could you possibly rest until you've had your sports massage on Monday?   They may be able to give you a recovery programme to deal with your injuries.

bootsie - good idea to get that run in before the snow

Big G - LOL, that made me laugh out loud in the office.

VR - the difference is I expect the other idiots last night loved that class, we'll wait to find out.   Have booked up next week for Kettlecise and Supertone only.

back to work now....

11/01/2013 at 13:32

Shades - sure, yup i do plan to rest once I have done this turbo session tomorrow and the long slow run on Sunday. After that it's all rest until the massage on Monday. Sound like a plan?

11/01/2013 at 13:35
Sofaboy, re your 10k race pace, I find it really weird how much faster we can all manage in a race. Don't know how much is due to the extra adrenalin vs. tapering and nutrition.

Khanivore, I can't ever imagine swimming 100 lengths! I find swimming tires me more than running and I'm very slow. I think this is partly due to the fact that I don't know what to do with my legs so just kick out. A friend who does triathlons says its much easier when you're wearing a wet suit but would look a bit silly in my local pool!

Stated running in April 2011 but got injured after a few months so had 3 months of physio. Definitely means you appreciate it more when you do recover.
11/01/2013 at 13:38
Khanivore, you need to listen to Shades or you will get told off again
11/01/2013 at 14:14

Fastkoala - blimey you have not been running that long! You are bloody quick! Re swimming - it is a little pool so 100 lengths is only 2500m I'm also very very slow.. that 100 lengths took me 1hr 20mins

11/01/2013 at 14:57

cool, koala has a year on me, i only started in june last year. hopefully i can knock that extra 30 seconds a mile off in that time.

competitive, moi?

i always (well, the 4 races i've been in) run a LOT quicker in a race. i think it helps to have people to pace off of. in that 10km i was chasing a mate who's ex-army and runs ironmans for fun. and in my 1/2 where i knocked nearly 15 minutes off my training times, i'm slightly embarressed to admit that i spent the last 3 miles almost keeping up with a lady who had a most attractive rear aspect.

haven't swum in anger for years, but used to be reasonably good. the Ironman mate keeps trying to get me to enter a triathlon but i think Mrs Sofa would possibly kill me.

11/01/2013 at 19:11
Khani, you swam for an hour and 20 minutes? Holy mackerel! That's a lot of patience you have there!

Shades, thanks for your answer. I enjoy the club sessions so I'll treat them as my tempo run
11/01/2013 at 19:11
I use the word 'enjoy' in its loosest sense, obviously...
11/01/2013 at 19:35

Well I chickened out of running outside tonight as its bloody freezin' !! 

But hit the gym instead and did some treadmill interval work for 1 hour - found that quite tough at the end - so that must be a good thing, as I can't easily relate the distance / speed / calories shown to anything sensible. - and forgot my footpad to use the Garmin - hey ho !! 

Also did a good stretch on the PowerPlate which seems to have really helped my calves which have been aching a lot recently - maybe need to look at these grid roller jobbies ???

But will do a LSR of 12-14 miles on Sunday - will wrap up and hit the mean streets of Surrey 

Have a good weekend all

Tim

11/01/2013 at 20:33

10 miles done in 1 hr 33.. happy out with that. now vegging out watching 300!

11/01/2013 at 21:15

Im with Rattler on chickining out tonight... was all set to do an easy 6 miles (well easyish) and while i was waiting in the car park for mother in law the temp went down to 2 then the thought of the painful cold nose and ears made me think twice..It might be easier if i could find a soul mad enough to join me mid week lol running when it is snowing is great fun just remember to wear clear lens glasses cause snow in the eyeball is a strange feeling... lol

12/01/2013 at 06:56

Khanivore - I meant rest = no exercise.

Iain - I hate winter weather for training.

Woke to the sound of torrential rain this morning but wasn't too bad when I went out, just the odd shower and not that cold (6 ish I guess), bit windy though.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.