Shades Marathon Training

58,581 to 58,600 of 67,568 messages
11/01/2013 at 19:11
Khani, you swam for an hour and 20 minutes? Holy mackerel! That's a lot of patience you have there!

Shades, thanks for your answer. I enjoy the club sessions so I'll treat them as my tempo run
11/01/2013 at 19:11
I use the word 'enjoy' in its loosest sense, obviously...
11/01/2013 at 19:35

Well I chickened out of running outside tonight as its bloody freezin' !! 

But hit the gym instead and did some treadmill interval work for 1 hour - found that quite tough at the end - so that must be a good thing, as I can't easily relate the distance / speed / calories shown to anything sensible. - and forgot my footpad to use the Garmin - hey ho !! 

Also did a good stretch on the PowerPlate which seems to have really helped my calves which have been aching a lot recently - maybe need to look at these grid roller jobbies ???

But will do a LSR of 12-14 miles on Sunday - will wrap up and hit the mean streets of Surrey 

Have a good weekend all

Tim

11/01/2013 at 20:33

10 miles done in 1 hr 33.. happy out with that. now vegging out watching 300!

11/01/2013 at 21:15

Im with Rattler on chickining out tonight... was all set to do an easy 6 miles (well easyish) and while i was waiting in the car park for mother in law the temp went down to 2 then the thought of the painful cold nose and ears made me think twice..It might be easier if i could find a soul mad enough to join me mid week lol running when it is snowing is great fun just remember to wear clear lens glasses cause snow in the eyeball is a strange feeling... lol

12/01/2013 at 06:56

Khanivore - I meant rest = no exercise.

Iain - I hate winter weather for training.

Woke to the sound of torrential rain this morning but wasn't too bad when I went out, just the odd shower and not that cold (6 ish I guess), bit windy though.

12/01/2013 at 07:40

Shades - lol its 2C outside which is almost the max temp for the next 5 days. I think it hits 4 at somepoint but then drops to 1 as a max come tuesday/wednesday. -7 shows in the feels like bits for next week.

I too bunked off running last night but that was more to do with the lack of visibility due to the thick fog. Yes its dark anyway run i run midweek this time of year BUT thick fog buggers up the light from the headtorch as it just reflects off of it. Can be fixed by running alongside the roads but then the head torch is off and you have cars blinding you instead.

12/01/2013 at 08:19
Hi all,

@Khani - listen to shades..... You know it makes sense!
@slokoala - you're a speed demon... Wow!
@VR - I know what you mean - there's so many things on the market for us to help us run now (foam rollers etc).
@Keith - which head torch do you use?

Is cold here this morning (-4). I'm planning on a gentle 10miler and see how I get on. Frankfurt was even colder so this morning feels quite warm!

@Shades - do you have any ideas for carrying sandwiches? FF has suggested that I carry them so I'm trying to think of a way of carrying them without them becoming mushy or ruined?
12/01/2013 at 08:40

Petzl Tikka XP I've had it for some time now.

12/01/2013 at 10:46
Not too cold here. Woke up to sound of rain too, but all dry for club session. Fun session with relays and intervals. Exhausted now and have to entertain kids by self all day as OH on stag thing all day.

Khanivore, impressed with your 100 lengths - I only did 20 last night.

I don't mind running when it's really cold - it's the rain + cold that gets me as makes it harder to get warm. Doesn't seem to get that windy round here but can imagine that's bad too.
12/01/2013 at 15:52

Nice 12 miler this morning, about 2degrees and thought it was lovely out with no wind.  Out the door at half 7 in the dark and watched the sun come up.

Rest day tomorrow  

12/01/2013 at 16:56

freezing here! glad my run is done.. now just chilling out befroe going for mexican!

12/01/2013 at 17:01

We've had a bit of snow in the air today, I'm now debating whether to do my 12 miler on the treadmill in front of the fotty tomorrow afternoon or get out early on the road 

12/01/2013 at 20:26

the idea of doing 12 miles on the treadmill scares me lol...

Anyone else doing the edinburgh marathon this year? Im hoping to get a good enough time for a good for age entry to london next year. 

12/01/2013 at 20:33

Yeh, it scares me too, death by boredom!!! 

I'm trying to shake a cold at the moment and don't want to make it worse by freezing me teeth off  and restricting my running going forward.

But I'll take a view tomorrow morning, as I was aiming to run around Virginia Water lake and would be great in the fresh Wintery air. 

I'm only doing the VLM this year, after that - gawd nose 

Tim

12/01/2013 at 21:27
Rattler - are you a Surrey local? Virginia water is my old stomping ground I used to live in Egham
12/01/2013 at 23:32

I'm the other side of Virgina Water from Egham, I'm in Camberley. A couple of my LSRs have been from Egham to Camberley along the A30 and as these get longer I'll look to lap Virginal Water too.

13/01/2013 at 00:10

I was a good boy and did not do the turbo trainer today. Also the strain in my right leg has COMPLETELY gone! I think I am ok for a gentle LSR tomorrow. Only problem is I planned to do it at 6am and i am still up at 00:10! Argh, will have to do it later in the day. Don't get me wrong i will still be woken up by the twins at the crack of dawn however I won't be able to run cos I am now going to take my gear out of the washing machine and I am pretty sure my winter running tops won't be dry by the morning

13/01/2013 at 07:28

Emmy - make the sandwiches with minimal filling, cut into small bite size pieces and just a sturdy plastic bag (so they don't leak into your bum bag).  Not much else you can do re carrying that sort of food.    What filling are you going to have?

Iain - Edinburgh is one of the few road marathons in the country I haven't done and not on this year's list either.

Rattler - maybe not good to run with a cold, especially in this weather.

You may have only planned to do VLM but if you stay around on this thread you may find yourself doing another marathon sooner than you think

Khanivore - good news on the leg, is this the back of the knee niggle?

It's too cold to be running topless, so you'll have to be patient

I have to do a long run today and there is a bitter North wind out there and max temp this morning will be 2 degrees.

Good luck to VR who's racing a muddy hilly race today

13/01/2013 at 07:32
Good morning & belated Happy New Year to you all. I've decided that I should definitely 'pop in' here more often and have set a minimum target of once a week while I wait for breakfast to go down before the long run. 18 miles today, all being well. I'll report back later on that front.

Loved reading back through and especially enjoyed the reviews of last year/goals for the year. Looking way back I didn't really set any goals for this year. Think there was just a muttering about not having achieved my 2011 goals (sub 1:45 half & 4th club standard) with 'there's always next year.'

This has been an injury prone year to a degree. I've discovered an ankle weakness which I'm trying to correct. The physio and the shoe shop think I should ditch the orthotics - physio because I am neutral and need to strengthen up the ankle; shoe shop as I'm neutral and the orthotics appear to make me supinate slightly on the treadmill. I'm trying to phase them out gradually.

So, that aside, I still haven't achieved the sub 1:45 half. That's on the goal sheet for 2013 and I will try to train for it. I have achieved my 4th club standard (VW35-39) with:
5k 22:15
10 mile 1:18:54
1/2 marathon 1:48:17

I would really love to run sub 4 at Paris but I'll see how training goes. The jury's undecided whether or not to run an autumn half. If I do it may well be Moray as I think we'll be on hols in October to celebrate my 40th/his 50th!

So, the goal for 2013:
5k Sub 22
10k Run one!
1/2 marathon sub 1:45
Marathon Sub 4 (or 4:15)
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.