Shades Marathon Training

58,601 to 58,620 of 67,243 messages
13/01/2013 at 07:34
Shades - cross post. In my opinion you're not missing much in Edinburgh!

Iain - if you're speedy you'll probably have a more enjoyable Edinburgh experience. Are you in the London Road start? My main gripe is the finishing chaos but I think that's probably the danger of any mass marathon where you're a mid pack runner.
13/01/2013 at 08:21

Happy New year Clag - some good achievable goals for you this year

Just waiting for my brekkie to go down too and hoping the weather will warm up.....think I'd better give up on that wish

13/01/2013 at 08:40
Morning all,

Thanks for the advice Shades. I was looking at different jams and thinking of strawberry.

I was all ready to give my run another go... And it's snowed overnight. A lot of snow hanging around so just need to get myself into some sort of order for today and head out soon
13/01/2013 at 10:04
Shades unfortunately its just the new hamstring soreness in the other leg that seems to be better. The original injury is still there but not getting worse as long as I manage it with regular stretching (got some funny looks in the queue at the shops yesterday when I decided to stretch my hamstrings). Damn it's cold - was hoping for it to warm up but giving up and going out for my 15 mile run now before it rains! Weird that there is no frost this morning given how cold it is.
13/01/2013 at 11:06
I don't usually run with an iPod but this morning I was out for a 10 miler and was listening to this week's Marathon Talk podcast. Emmy, you were mentioned for your Enigma efforts
13/01/2013 at 11:21

morning all.... going to brave the chilly weather and do a fast 6 miles. ill try for sub 40 min, fingers crossed..

Clag, i did edinburgh last year and up until 19 miles i was on course for 3:04 but it was hotter then expected so cramps set in and the last 7 miles were done with intermittent walking and running.. was so dissapointed as i had really trained hard.. i am aiming to break the 3 hr mark this year. As for london, yet again i didnt get a place oh well there is always next year... 

13/01/2013 at 11:44

Happy New Year Clag

@Khani - So when Shades says rest - you hear: 15 mile LSR?

@BigG - Yes - that was I! The Enigma RD put it on Facebook and the girls I was running with sent me a message: What is Marathon Talk and how do I get myself on the podium! Did you enjoy the podcast this week? I thought the interview with Mike Tomlinson (sp?) was really thoughtprovoking. I cannot believe anyone would seriously question someone who had cancer or try to defame their character in such a way

So.... I think my garmin is on the blink.. A route that i ran before was measured at 13km. Same route today: 11.5km. Is that just the satellites or just the cold weather? Today's its -4 and snowing

13/01/2013 at 12:13

Yes, very thought provoking.  As was mentioned on the podcast, there are some strange people out there.  After the podcast I Googled "York Marathon" and the original 5000 places are already gone according to this and other reports.  So that means that a brand new marathon sold out in about 2 days!  They have put an extra 500 places on (already sold) and according to that report they are seeing if they can raise it to 6000.  I liked the fact that he was organising it without any of the charity "gold bond" malarkey as well.

13/01/2013 at 12:20
Morning all,

Nice hearing your goals, Clag and Iain. Sub 3 marathon would be a huge achievement Iain. Shame no London place.

Just ran 20 miles!!!! So chuffed. Beautiful clear day for running. Took 2 gels with me that I held in my hands. Was quite tricky opening them as my hands were quite stiff from the cold. Actually felt as though the handful of jelly babies were more beneficial but this may be because of the sugar content giving more of an instant boost. Average pace was 8:25. Was going to go slower but I find that once the pace is set in the first mile or two I just try and keep it consistent. Might try starting a bit slower next time. Legs felt a little stiff at end so have iced knees and had warm bath. Was sooo pleased when 20 miles shown!

Weird about your garmin Emmy. My phone usually finds a satellite straight away but have noticed in the last week it has taken a little longer. Probably all the star gazers messing with things!
13/01/2013 at 13:03
Wow Iain, you are super fast! Good on you

18.3 miles done and dusted for me. Very pleased as I felt good at the end and could have happily kept going. It was a slow run. Started off with one of the guys from club and we must have been around 10:15 ish minute miles for the first 6 miles at which we dropped him off. My regular buddy and I then continued for another 9 miles together and I finished on my own. Average pace for the 12 miles was around 9:45.

I decided to challenge myself a little at the end so ran a pretty steep hill (0.4 miles) up and down three times. Nice tough finish made me feel good.
13/01/2013 at 13:04
Slowkoala - just registered your post. Great run! Well done!
13/01/2013 at 13:17
Big_G wrote (see)

Yes, very thought provoking.  As was mentioned on the podcast, there are some strange people out there.  After the podcast I Googled "York Marathon" and the original 5000 places are already gone according to this and other reports.  So that means that a brand new marathon sold out in about 2 days!  They have put an extra 500 places on (already sold) and according to that report they are seeing if they can raise it to 6000.  I liked the fact that he was organising it without any of the charity "gold bond" malarkey as well.

You're right. It sold out in 2 days. By the end of the first day over 1000 entries had already been submitted. I saw on Facebook that lots of the MT community were saying: get it whilst it's hot! I liked hearing someone so passionate about where they run and the community they live in.

Slowkoala wrote (see)
Morning all,

Just ran 20 miles!!!! So chuffed. Beautiful clear day for running. Took 2 gels with me that I held in my hands. Was quite tricky opening them as my hands were quite stiff from the cold. Actually felt as though the handful of jelly babies were more beneficial but this may be because of the sugar content giving more of an instant boost. Average pace was 8:25. Was going to go slower but I find that once the pace is set in the first mile or two I just try and keep it consistent. Might try starting a bit slower next time. Legs felt a little stiff at end so have iced knees and had warm bath. Was sooo pleased when 20 miles shown!

Weird about your garmin Emmy. My phone usually finds a satellite straight away but have noticed in the last week it has taken a little longer. Probably all the star gazers messing with things!

Well done Slowkoala!! That's a cracking pace! How do you feel?

Yeah - I'm going to reset the satellites later and hopefully it'll help. I've read lots of garmin forums of people in sweden struggling to use their garmins in winter!

13/01/2013 at 13:41
14 miles this morning in light snow. 9.30 average. Feet and ankles a little achy but apart from that, all good.

Good running everyone, in these cold conditions.
13/01/2013 at 13:43

I managed a 15 mile run this morning, weather was bright and chilly, but lovely. Kept a decent pace and averaged 9.09 which is bang on 4 hr marathon pace.

This was quiker than the plan, but I was looking for new road routes and found myself on a road without footpaths, so I sped up !!

So I'd best get back to 10 min/miles  LSR pace next week or I'll end up sitting next to Khanivore on Shades' naughty step 

@slowkoala - time you changed your forum name I feel  - nice pace !!!

13/01/2013 at 13:59

Hell's bells, i am the slowest of the bunch! You guys are supersonic! I managed my scheduled 15 mile run today at 9:46 min/mile. It was freezing cold, it felt WAY harder than my 18 mile run last week (nutrition?), and I had lots of little niggles which i stretched out during the run and afterwards in a 15 min stretching session. Will keep an eye on those - have a sports massage tomorrow. 

I really must remember to try gels on my next run. 

13/01/2013 at 14:13
I didn't have any gels today - just a big bowl of porridge before heading out. Also bought a packet of fruit pastilles when I stopped for the loo at a petrol station. Quite enjoyed them so now undecided as to whether to try them again or go for gels. Sweatshop are selling gels half price from tomorrow if anyone needs a bulk order - good saving even with postage.
13/01/2013 at 14:28

I too struggle with the pacing.  My pace on my run this morning was 9:01 min/mile and it felt totally fine and comfortable.  My goal pace for a half in March I have planned is 8 min/mile (i.e., sub 1hr 45min for the half, which is tough for me but I feel it's just about within reach on a good day with the wind behind me ).  I don't want to set myself up for a failure so I'm hoping for 4.5 hours in a May marathon, and the main goal is to try and enjoy it.  

If I could run a marathon at 9min/mile (4 hours for the marathon) I would be absolutely delighted so I suppose I should be building up the mileage at slower than 9 min/mile, but 10-10.5 min/mile does feel slow.    My current half PB was ran at 8:15min/mile, so are there any tips on LSR pace for the marathon?

13/01/2013 at 15:19

A little under 14 miles for me at 9:30 pace in the snow. Was plodding along in no real hurry. Kinda hard to run to fast when the snow gets in your eyes.

13/01/2013 at 15:46

After a disastrous week last week - only managed to get out twice and got bitten by an irish wolfhound on on of those occasions  -  good 18k run this morning and hopefully back on track for planned runs this week.

Have also started a food diary ( scary reading ) after doing the RW "find your racing weight" test and finding to my horror that my ""ideal racing weight"" is 50kg and NOT my present 57kg  . 

After much dithering have finally entered for Nantes marathon at end of April and am planning a trail in feb plus two 10k in March. Would like to do a HM before the marathon.. when would be the best time to do this? About two weeks before marathon itself?  (Feel a bit of an idiot asking that on this thread when you have lots of you doing marathons every week

13/01/2013 at 16:24

Where is this racing weight test, could do with a laugh. I know what it is from other ones kinda like to see if RW agree

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.