Shades Marathon Training

58,621 to 58,640 of 67,664 messages
13/01/2013 at 16:26

Some very good training going on in here! Well done all

Fastkowala - Did you do that average pace of 8.25 all the way? Well done!

We won the 1st ladies team at 'Oh my Obelisk' today. 11.5 muddy, very hilly run around Dawlish. Very pleased with my run of 1.55. I've been over 2 hours in previous years.

Mamafox - Where's Nantes Marathon? Depends on how quick you recover from racing? I would imagine 2 weeks would be ok.  

13/01/2013 at 16:32

Oh and it's Mowsers Birthday today!
so Happy Birthday  Hope you are having a lovely day x

13/01/2013 at 16:54

Happy birthday Mowser!!!

Well done on your win VR - sounds messy

Mamafox!!! You got BIT by a wolf hound??? Blimey! I have not quite started a diary but i am using myfitnesspal and if you want to calorie count i recommend their smartphone app and webiste. I thought I found your racing age site but it wasn't right - it was just a bmi calculator.

I feel really run done and unwell. Don't know if this was caused by the run or whether this is what caused my run to be such hard work. Either way, no training for me tomorrow of any kind!

Edited: 13/01/2013 at 16:58
13/01/2013 at 18:13

Happy Birthday Mowser!!!

Keith - the weight test is on page 56 of january issue of RW (you will need a tape measure to measure your wrist circumference)

Khani - wolfhound bite not gory, just scraped the skin and have bruise now. Was v scary, three wolfhounds just run after me, one taking bite at my calf. Not actually sure what best thing to do re dog attack - keep running or try and scare them off? In the event I just yelled and flapped my arms at them

VR - thank you for advice, Nantes is in Brittany, France. I live near Cognac - just over half way down on left hand side to be precise  so Nantes about a 3 hr drive north for me.

13/01/2013 at 18:17

@Mowser - Happy Birthday!

@Mamafox - another one from the continent. Do you have any recommendations about the Cognac marathon? Sorry to hear about the bite - it's always quite a shock when that happens!

13/01/2013 at 18:25

well todays run was a good one. aprox 6.4 miles in 42 min so despite the cold was able to keep up a steady pace..

Khanivore - If your feeling unwell it would be best to lay off the training specially if the weather stays like this...

Emmy - I think the satilites must be playing up cause my garmin started fune the lost signal and only started again a mile down the road. got a shock when it said my first mile was in 13:44

Mowser - Many happy returns..

13/01/2013 at 18:31

@Iain - the past two runs i've had issues. One run it told me that i had run a 6.44 mile (that's not going to happen for a while) and the next miles were 14 min miles (and i wasnt running that slow). Today it had the right time just not the distance.

13/01/2013 at 19:47
Keith/mamfox, I'd be careful with the RW weight calculator. I have a BMI of around 17 which is considered underweight on all the charts but I think I'm the right weight for me as it's been the same for about 20 years. However the RW calculator says I should lose a couple of pound which would mean a weight of less than 7 stone. Good thing I'm not an impressionable teenager...

VR, I did a fairly consistent pace, although slowed to 8:49 in mile 18 where there was an incline. Fastest miles were mile 2 (8:05) which is always my fastest and mile 20 (8:08) when I was keen to get home! Well done on your win today and on smashing your previous time.

Happy Birthday Mowzer, hope you've had a good day!

Mamfox, hope the bite hasn't made you too wary of dogs. I had one today which jumped up at me growling and gnashing its teeth. Annoys me when the owners just keep saying how friendly they are. I always just stop and walk slowly when I see one who looks dodgy. Have you had a tetanus recently? What did the owner say?
13/01/2013 at 20:31

I dont seem to have Jan's mag here, have Feb's and Dec though

14/01/2013 at 07:17

mamafox - sorry to hear you got bitten by a wolfhound, must have been like being mauled by a pony!

Yes, 2 weeks before for your half is fine, or earlier of course.

mowzer - belated Happy Birthday and I hope that foot is healing

VR -well done on the team prize, good running.

Khanivore - it's 3 months until your marathon so why did you run 15 miles yesterday when you are injured?

Some good running yesterday for all those long runs except for me, I had to cut short my run at 12 miles as too cold for me, that North wind was bitter.  I won't be running Gloucester on Sunday unless it warms up a bit.

Chilly this morning but not frosty, and that nasty wind has dropped.

14/01/2013 at 08:26

Shades - I cut mine short too but more for getting fed up off snow in my eyes so skipped out a 2 mile or so loop. Also meant i'd have time for bath before the football yesterday not a quickie during half time.

14/01/2013 at 10:17

16 mile for me yesterday, strange run the first 4 mile was very hard going and felt like it was going to be a very hard run, however about 4.5 mile in felt good settled into my stride Agv pace for the 16 mile was 8.23 with miles 10-15 at 7.30-7.45

Khanivore what is the point in asking for advise, getting good advise and then totally ignoring it, building up millage is a long slow process, when you do get injured you have to stop running, that may be 2 days my be 6 months.   There are many marathons, and if you end up missing one although it may be upsetting at the time does it really matter in the grand scheme of things

14/01/2013 at 12:22

Khanivore - Hope you feel better today. How was the massage?

14/01/2013 at 12:37

Thanks for the birthday wishes folks . Nowadays birthdays just make me wonder where the years have all gone . Especially when you have to book races/ holidays so far in advance. I was thinking of doing York (October) then while I was thinking it sold out completely in 3 days .

VR - well done on your race and the award. Our club have their last x-country in two weeks, so I'll go along to support (and have a laugh).

I've been to the gym most days but still no running, back to the physio tomorrow. Snow here this morning, disappearing fast but supposed to be more on the way

14/01/2013 at 13:21

mowzer - well done on getting to the gym, I hope the foot is starting to feel better?

I bet a marathon in York would be lovely, but I probably wouldn't have done it this year as the same weekend as my local marathon and I do like to support that.

VR and I haven't had much luck finding another European marathon to do this year so we're thinking of going back to Florence....just letting you know now in case you'd like to come too?   

14/01/2013 at 13:24

S3200H - that is a strange long run, but must have been most enjoyable

VR - I hope this changes before Sunday http://www.forecast.co.uk/quedgeley.html

14/01/2013 at 13:42

Emmy - Hi!, can definitely recommend Cognac marathon; very friendly, really well organised and mostly level course through villages and vineyards including running through the distilleries themselves. Also have free cognac tasting at the end to spur you on a bit!  

How are you getting on with your forum 6 training? Are you finding it is making a difference to your running to have this type of training support? I have had a look at your schedule for this year and it is pretty impressive!

VERYFASTkoala - Thank you for those kind words of comfort re the RW weight calculator... I know I have a few kilos to lose, but seven...?!! Anyway, I have put a 5kg sack of potatoes next to the fridge as an example of what I need to lose...   Re dog issue -  saw owner in distance but did not try to hang around to speak to him and risk further mauling. I am trying to pretend I have not read your comment about tetanus jab as I think you may be right.

Shades - yes, was v scary. Was on a good run, listening to David Guetta on my MP3 and dogs came out of nowhere. Am not very tall (5ft 2) so was bloody shock to be suddely eyeball to eyeball with hairy irish wolfhound

14/01/2013 at 14:40

I didn't ignore your advice Shades. The only aches and pains I had when I set out were those from the hamstring tendonitis which I am managing with stretching etc. According to our previous conversations this means it is ok for me to resume my schedule. All those other little niggles I mentioned were the usual ones that can pop up on any run and I listened to my body, stopped, and stretched whenever i felt one - as I said they all stretched out and i have no new pains today over and above the ongoing tendon pain. If I had felt a niggle that was not going away or that felt serious I would have stopped right away.

VR - i feel a million times better today. I don't have that run down feeling I had yesterday. I'm going to play it safe though and stay out of the pool, off the roads, and off the turbo trainer today. By tomorrow I will be 100% again. I'm also going to either stop running my Sunday LSR on an empty stomach or I am going to take jelly babies with me and munch those along the way. I remain convinced feeling run down was due to poor nutrition.

The massage was good! The lady who did it is a runner. She hit all the right muscles and gave me good advice on using the roller. I will go for another session next week and then will not go again for some time as they are quite expensive. Was well worth it though and I did not want it to end  

14/01/2013 at 14:42

ps she told me i have really flat feet like she does and said I might want to consider orthotics. However, she also said not to think about messing with such things before the marathon. 

14/01/2013 at 15:47

I'm getting married 8 months today woohoo!!!

on a running note.. going to the gym tonight... very cold outside! very lazy weekend after my 10 miler on friday but feel all the better for the rest!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.