Shades Marathon Training

58,641 to 58,660 of 66,763 messages
14/01/2013 at 17:53

Shades - Looks like it could stay that way for Sunday. My foot is hurting again after yesterdays race so I might not be there anyway!

LOL! @ Veryfastkowala

Khanivore - Glad you are feeling better. Massages help a lot I think, if you find the right person.  

14/01/2013 at 17:54

I've just got back from a pretty good 7 miler, with 10k of it at a quick (for me) pace.  My achilles felt good and I felt the need to "blow the cobwebs away" after a couple of weeks of slow runs (or no runs).  Splits for the 10K are below.  This was on a flat route (6 and a bit times around Paignton Green, for those that know it) and I was lucky that I didn't get held up at all by cars etc.  I was hoping that each mile would have been faster that the previous one, and I was really pleased with the result when I saw them.

1          07:46.4           1

2          07:35.7           1

3          07:26.1           1

4          07:24.1           1

5          07:15.7           1

6          07:12.8           1

7          01:38.0           0.23

Total    46:18.8           6.23

Route is here

I know this isn't strictly to plan, but I just fancied it today!  I'll keep an eye on my achilles tomorrow but I'm hoping the issue is now sorted.  I'm hoping to get along to club training on Wednesday, but we'll see.

Edited: 14/01/2013 at 17:56
14/01/2013 at 18:06

NIce work Big G - is that along the beach? 46 mins for 10K - that's great .

14/01/2013 at 18:26

Rattler - thanks.  This was around Paignton Green.  Once around Paignton Green is just slightly over 1 mile so I did that 6 and a bit times.  The beach is in sight for about half of the circuit, but the run itself was on the pavement or road.   It's pretty flat with an elevation gain of just 20ft according to my Garmin

14/01/2013 at 20:15
Well done Big G, great times for your run. Hope the achilles is still
OK. My OH has been having aqupuncture (sp?) on his but is unsure if it is working. Do you not have snow where you are today? We have a bit - enough for some very small snow men in the park.

VR, hope your foot recovers soon before the weekend.

Khanivore, that massage sounds good. My physio told me my feet were flat too but I've never tried orthotics.

Mamafox, LOL at sack of potatoes by fridge Weirdly (as my weight hardly ever fluctuates) I seem to have put on 2 pounds after my 20 mile run...must be all that heavy muscle I am developing (or the biscuits consumed to help refuel).

Rest day today which works well given the arrival of snow (and no gym membership). Aiming to do 5 easy miles in morning. Just need big melt tonight. If still lots of snow and ice, I will have another rest day as don't fancy skating around outside.
14/01/2013 at 20:18

14/01/2013 at 21:22

Goodie got the charger for the garmin mailed up from parents. Can run properly again now Hard work gauging pace naked... Espically in the dark.

14/01/2013 at 22:03
There's no snow here yet. It was cold and I just about avoided a heavy downpour so I was lucky.
14/01/2013 at 23:27
Just bought a rowing machine should be good for cross training.
15/01/2013 at 07:18

Khanivore - I have never advised you to run 15 miles with tendonitis in your hamstring.   I would advise you not to run further than 4 or 5 miles at any one time and only if you are 100% pain free until your hamstring has healed and any running at slowest end of long run pace.

bootsie - those 8 months will fly by

VR - what foot injury, not your PF again?

I'm keeping an eye on the forecast, looks OK for here at the weekend but no change yet for Glos area.   Will have to email votes for AGM if we don't go.

Big G - that's speedy

Slowkoala - after a very long run(or marathon) you will find that your weight increases slightly, this is after the dehydration of the run your body is unwilling to allow the body to dehydrate again so tends to hold fluid.  By Wed/Thurs your weight wil be back to normal

So cold again this morning, nast NW wind and ice on the pavements/roads.   Managed a gentle 6 miles with just a couple of patches where I had to slow to a walk to negotiate the ice.

15/01/2013 at 08:02
Shades- no not PF. It's my left foot this time at the back of the heel. It has been a niggle for nearly 2 weeks. Fine when I was running on Sunday. Then it started to hurt after. Come Monday morning I could hardly walk! Icing it at regular intervals and ibuprofen. Started to get worried, so just before 6 this morning I took myself to A&E. Saw you running along the road!
Anyway I was the only person in there so had an X ray and a chat to a lovely Doctor No fracture, just soft tissue damage or Bursitus. Hobbled back out again.
Keep resting it, icing etc I guess.
15/01/2013 at 08:08
VR, good you haven't got a fracture but must still be really annoying. Do you need to rest from running for a bit or just keep icing? Must be a good time of the day to go to A&E!

Shades, you are so right re the weight thing as all back to normal now. I would never has guessed that was what was happening but makes sense.

No run for me this morning as still snowy out there and v cold. May try tonight but if not will leave till Wed.
15/01/2013 at 08:19

VR - oh no, that doesn't sound good.   Stress fractures rarely show on Xray until they start to heal but it would have shown after 2 weeks.   Good time to go to A & E...chatting up the docs too.   Did you get an NHS zimmer frame?

You could have hooted and waved, Smokes always does when he drives past me in the morning.

I have a slight niggle in my ankle, strapped it last night for Bodytone & Kettlecise and it's OK, has eased today

Slowkoala - glad the weight has settled back to normal.

Better to rest than run if the surface is icy,

15/01/2013 at 08:22

I misunderstood and I thought you said it was ok to carry on with my plan based on the fact that the pain was not getting worse with running as long as I stretch thoroughly.

I will think about taking a longer break from running.

15/01/2013 at 08:24

VR - Easiest way to find a SF is to blast it with a ultrasound. Kinda painful i hear though The less painful way is MRI imaging using the bone seeking markers for a clearer than standard MRI pic.

Speaking of hospitals was meaant to be having the remains of a tooth removed on friday but the dentist opted yesterday to send me to the hospital instead as the root is between two of the screws from when ihad my jaw surgery..... Bloody NHS dentists for you

15/01/2013 at 08:35
I already have a zimmerframe!
I don't tend to hoot at people when running as when someone does it to me I jump out of my skin!

Fastkowala- I can't run so just have to rest it. Might go spinning though and I can still swing
15/01/2013 at 08:58

i'm developing a bit of a niggling callus on the bottom of my right little toe. it's not causing me too much grief at the mo but it is starting to rub a bit. any ideas on how to either get rid of it or stop it getting in the way of my marathon prep?

supposed to be doing a 4 mile easy tonight but the pavements around us are currently like ice rinks. think i may leave it....

15/01/2013 at 09:36

Some brave soles hitting the streets today, - nice one 

I'm working from home today, which means I can probably get to run at the gym this morning if I work my schedule correctly  - also means I can track emails on the BB.

I'm not a gym fan at all, sooooo boring on those treadmills , but hopefully I can do some tempo work and get 30 mins cross training on the rowing machine - and stay warm!!! 

15/01/2013 at 10:09

Shades - I figured from this thread that you're an early riser, but running before 6am...wow!  I was still curled up in bed at that time.  When my club meets for an 8am start on a Saturday I find that a struggle 

15/01/2013 at 12:54

intervals done.. fell over in the muck

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.