Shades Marathon Training

58,661 to 58,680 of 67,634 messages
15/01/2013 at 13:16

Khanivore - I meant you can do a little running whilst your injury is healing.   You need to try and get shot of that injury, at your sports massage did she confirm it was tendonitis?

Keith - My SF test is to jump up and down

Good luck with the dentist

VR - I don't mind if cars hoot at me, half the time I don't know who it is that's hooting, if I can't recognise the car I certainly can't identify the driver in the dark, but I wave at anyone and everyone

15/01/2013 at 13:18

Sofaboy - do you need to look at your shoes or maybe socks that are causing it?

Rattler - oh that working from home lark.   I got loads of training in when I had to spend a month 'working from home'

Big G - alarm goes off at 4.30am

bootsie - oh no, are you doing intervals off road?  That's tough

15/01/2013 at 13:27

Shades - actually when I pointed to the pain at the massage she said it is not tenodnitis. She said it is a a muscle going along the side of my leg, not the one I originally hurt but one right next to it. I looked on a diagram and it is called the extensor digitorum longus, if I am feeling and seeing the same thing. It's a little hard to tell. 

To top it all I am now feeling a different pain more. There is a sore area at the top of my lower leg, around the side of the knobbly bit, on the inside of my leg. It could be a ligament or something but when I squeeze it I get a sharp pain on the OUTSIDE of my leg.. so weird.. so confusing.. 

Edited: 15/01/2013 at 13:38
15/01/2013 at 13:29

Bootsie!!! Yoo're quite accident prone! Hope you're ok?

Shades - Ok, Next time I see you I will use my Klaxon

15/01/2013 at 13:50

bootsie - hope you didn't get a mouthful of muck when you fell over . How's your horse getting on?

VR - oh,oh, a self confessed swinger . Hope your heel heals quickly.

Back from physio (and gym, same place). Only a little pain in heal, calf is much softer though she says my whole left foot and leg still feel stiffer than the right (knew I should have bought an automatic). Have blasted it with everything I can think of over the past week and it seems to be working so she said carry on and maybe try a little run after another week or so. Feeling a bit more hopeful now.

15/01/2013 at 13:56

VR it freaks me out when people blow their horn too - gives me the shock of my life! Rather than a klaxon how about this

15/01/2013 at 13:56

Khani - if you're not careful, you'll drive yourself mad, get disillusioned and stop running totally which would be a shame.  I'm no expert but as you have so many issues, I think you need to ease right off.

15/01/2013 at 13:59

Shades - have pencilled in Florence. Was thinking of just going to the AGM but if this weather keeps up I won't even venture out (and it's quite a long way to drive, for me at least )

Sofaboy - I'd investigate your shoes and socks as Shades suggested. Might just be an inside seam or where the insole doesn't quite meet the edge of the shoe. My own feet are ultra sensitive to those kind of things. I've found callus removing creams are useless, but a chiropodist could file/cut it off (although they are a bit expensive).

Khanivore - you've loads of time before your marathon and already have a good base. Now's the time to sort out any injuries/niggles. Don't try to run through it (doesn't often work, trust me) and end up with a worse injury just a couple of weeks before your race.

15/01/2013 at 14:13
Khani - Lol! That should do it! Give someone a heart attack! ??5000 !!

Mowser - quite good news then. Did you find out what was wrong with your foot?
Was it PF? It's good that you are working on it. When I had PF. I was always rolling the foot, icing it and loads of calf stretches several times a day.
15/01/2013 at 14:52
4.30 alarm Shades?!!

I was awake worrying about work between 330 and 5 - I should have gone for a run snow seems to have melted now so may manage tonight.
15/01/2013 at 18:13

Mowzer and Big_G you are right. I have skipped todays run and am not risking the turbo trainer either. I may go for a swim in an hour though as I can avoid using legs there. 

The massage really worked from the point of view that I don't seem to be getting that stiffening up of my leg any more. This new pain I described though is a bit worrying as it is sharp rather than a dull ache and I know that can spell trouble. I am not taking any risks with it. 

It's hard to know whether cycling is ok. It doesn't hurt during running and so it may not hurt during cycling either but it could still be doing me damage. Swimming at least seems safe.

Mowzer really good to see you are on the mend!

VR a good prank is priceless!

Edited: 15/01/2013 at 18:15
15/01/2013 at 18:42

I'm all good after my fall! just having a small glass of vino to cheer myself up after a rubbish day in the office! 

Khanivore, massage sounds good.  Be so careful with that injury though

15/01/2013 at 18:47

Shades - Yesterdays filling went fine NO anaesthetic either. But then that tooth may well be dead. I dread to think how long it will take for the hospital to get around to removing the other one though.

15/01/2013 at 18:57

Well I wimped out of running outside and hit the gym for some interval work on the treadmill this afternoon.

But it was really tough, I did the same 1hr interval / inclines session that I normally do, but found it really tough today and I had found it easier in the past (not easy, just easier) before I started the plan.

So should this be tougher now I'm doing the plan with LSRs etc? Or was it just a low energy day? I'd hoped it would be getting easier and I could up the activity.

15/01/2013 at 20:51
Quick question - has anyone done the Highland Perthshire Marathon in Aberfeldy? I'm contemplating it. Last year was the inaugural event. I'll be 40 the day before the race and there's a ceilidh on the evening of the race. Sounds like it could be a fun weekend!
15/01/2013 at 22:06
5 miles tonight as per schedule. Not a night runner but quite enjoyed it. Quite cold at first so had buff over my mouth and nose - must have looked like a ninja! Snow and ice 0, Slowkoala 1. (snow all gone now).
15/01/2013 at 22:43

Tried to go swimming but some swimming club had taken over the pool So, I thought long and hard and decided to run just 5 miles very slowly after checking out my leg for any twinges and aches. It was in good shape so off I went. I hope that is ok shades given that I was not feeling any aches at this point.

This was my first run after the massage. Was able to stretch much more easily after this run. Pain was greatly reduced. When I say greatly I really do mean GREATLY. I dont know what that masseur did but it was magical it seems. Sore areas were left side of lower leg (that thin band in front of peroneus longus), inside hamstring just above knee and left hip. The soreness was nothing at all like before the massage.

Important not to get carried away! I won't be doing my long slow run or my mid week long run. Shades would 4 x 5 miles per week be the right thing to do and only then if I am not feeling aches and pains and twinges?

16/01/2013 at 07:22

Khanivore - no, 4 runs a week is too much.   All those niggles and odd new pains are your body's way of saying it needs a rest.  Take 2 days rest then if all is well another slow 4 or 5 miler.

You're right, it's very hard to know what cross training will help or hinder recovery and when I've done a lot of cross training it's not been worth it fitness wise, so I only do a little (or none) now if I can't run.

VR - how's your foot?

mowzer - good news that you are healing.   Forecast is still awful for Glos, going to minus 6 on Sat night and 22mph winds on race day, I don't think I would risk the drive either

Rattler - no. it shouldn't have made you slower, maybe an off day or not as fit at this stage?

Clag - no, haven't done it, (same day as Dingle), looks nice though, I have a friend running it this year.  I believe it's road.

Not quite so cold today, had to take my gloves off for a while, dry underfoot so no ice but a bit windy.

16/01/2013 at 07:42

ridiculously cold this morning. supposed to be going for an 8 mile easy. might actually have to do it as i decided that conditions were too icy for the 4 miler last night.

regarding the niggly toe, my shoes are the same model i've been using since last june, so i don't think it's them. i have recently bought a new pair of socks. i'll not use them for a while an see if that clears it.

16/01/2013 at 07:49

Foot is better today but I'm definitely not doing Gloucester.
need to find another one before our ultra in Feb

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.