Shades Marathon Training

58,681 to 58,700 of 67,664 messages
16/01/2013 at 08:19

VR - I will probably DNS due to weather, will decide tomorrow. 

Email votes have to be in tomorrow (17th) if we're not attending AGM, there are a couple of important issues IMHO that need voting on.

I've got Clonakilty Back2Back the week before our ultra.    Don't thinks there's much else on but you should be able to find a trail event.

Good that your foot is healing quickly

16/01/2013 at 08:39
Valley Runner wrote (see)

Foot is better today but I'm definitely not doing Gloucester.
need to find another one before our ultra in Feb

*peeks head around corned* Ultra? February... Hello everyone 

I think you're right - this weekend is going to remain a cold one. Its been very cold here as well. We've not had plus temperatures for a while and to top it off we've still got a lot of snow/ice to deal with. I've tried running this morning but it was too dangerous (our streets havent been de-iced)

16/01/2013 at 08:45

in the bigger scheme of things, how much harm will i do my marathon training if i miss a couple of runs due to excessively slippery pavements?

16/01/2013 at 09:21

I would say not at all Sofaboy, a bad fall will though

16/01/2013 at 09:25

well that was kind of my thinking. but i hate looking at my training plan and seeing empty spaces where there should be distanc and pace notes.

maybe i should just chill a bit. (pun intended).

16/01/2013 at 10:46
Sofaboy, I agree with S3200H. You know it makes sense. But I know what you mean about not being able to tick off the runs!

Around here all snow gone now and very little ice (one of only plus sides of living in an urban area). Managed 8miles with last 3 at MP. Felt quite tough at end, think legs a bit tired as did yesterday's run last night. Also had to run back a mile in to get a pair of mittens to wear over my gloves.

More snow due Friday so may try out the treadmill for first time ever this weekend if they'll have me as a guest at gym.

Shades and VR - sounds like a good plan not to race this weekend.
16/01/2013 at 11:20

Training of any kind is off the cards anyway - out of the blue i twinged a muscle in my back this morning while bending down to pick something up. I used to suffer from lower back pain but since I have been running it has not come back - i thought i was cured of it. 

Is it normal for someone to fall apart so comprehensively like this? I'm like a walking medical specimen - they should cart me around universities for trainee doctors to examine.

16/01/2013 at 11:30

@Khani - your body's telling you off  - take it easy, you've done loads of base miles and can afford the rest now - get well 

@(not)Slowkoala - what is your MP?

@sofaboy - I'm ending up in the gym, but its soooooo boring, I'll be there this evening for a easy 8 miler - hope there's something decent on the telly 

@Shades - hopefully yesterday was a low energy day, but I'm ensuring I eat and drink well before tonight's run 

16/01/2013 at 11:32

KV, you need to trade yourself in for a new one. tough beans, mate. i had a similar thing a couple of years back. it was just one thing after another. but it passed. maybe one thing leads to another. then you get stressed and paranoid and then anything further, that in isolation you might just shrug off or ignore then gets added to the "list of things that are wrong with me". its tough.

16/01/2013 at 11:34

i caved in and ran. thankfully once i got out of our cul de sac the roads were fine. and it was absolutely beauriful out. especially when it started snowing again.

of course, i now can't feel my fingers, but hey ho.

think i may have to investigate the local gym for sundays 16 mile LSR though...

16/01/2013 at 13:09

Emmy - we're doing the Born to Run Ultra in Wales in Feb

Sofaboy - a few missed runs is better than a broken leg.   The only weather I won't run in is the dreaded ice, especially as I run in the dark during the winter.   Glad you got your run in safely after all.

Rattler - yes fuel up and see how you are tonight

(((Khanivore))) - ouch, hope the back eases soon.

Your body may be throwing a tantrum and trying to tell you it doesn't want to be a speedy athlete but it won't get it's way.

16/01/2013 at 13:41

Thanks all Back is sore but not debilitating. Regular stretching and ZERO exercise are the order of the day. I seem to have blown my calorie intake by lunchtime today already and now don't have any exercise options to burn it off lol. That will teach me!

Have fun out there.

16/01/2013 at 14:35
Oh Khanivore, poor you! Sounds like your body needs a good rest before recovering. You'll come back stronger, I'm sure. You still have time to recover before the VLM and even if you don't you can always defer to next year. Make sure you take a multi vit to make sure you don't get cold/flu on top of all the aches.

Rattler, my MP is around 8 mm but will decide for sure in a couple of months (definitely wont be any faster than that).
16/01/2013 at 14:37

Afraid I won't have the option to defer. I have a charity place. Missing it is not an option

16/01/2013 at 14:37

Khani - ouch!  I have suffered from back issues in the past, and you have my sympathy.  The last time I did mine (2011) I was simply picking something off the floor as well.  Take it easy.

16/01/2013 at 14:39

Will do mate I was picking up a .... BREAKFAST BOWL lol. Not exactly epic heavy or anything

16/01/2013 at 14:51

By the way, after all the recent talk on here of foam rollers I ordered a cheap one from Amazon and it arrived today.  After doing a quick check on YouTube I had a little play with it at lunchtime....and it hurt!  No pain, no gain I suppose!

I know I have tight hamstrings (physio has told me this in the past) so I am hoping this roller will help.  I only used it for about 5-10 minutes and afterwards my legs felt strange.  Walking up the stairs immediately afterwards had the same feeling you get when you jump off of a bike and start walking.  Very odd

16/01/2013 at 14:56

G, keep us posted on any results. i've been looking at getting one to take care of my chronically achy calfs.

16/01/2013 at 18:14
Dog oil is what you need. Used to be used on greyhounds after they'd raced, now recommended all over the place for runners. It's like a balm that you rub into sore muscles and it really works. I tend to have a hot bath, then run some onto my calves. It's partly the act of massaging but I've done an experiment where I just did one leg and it definitely makes a big difference.

Buy it from health food stores - it's in a round bright yellow pot and costs less than a fiver.
17/01/2013 at 07:16

Nykie - dog oil, I've never heard of it.    Is it made from dogs or for dogs?   Sounds like it's good stuff

I am not running Glos on Sunday, forecast now is for minus 1 (feels like minus 4) http://www.forecast.co.uk/quedgeley.html 

Not so cold here today, had to take my gloves off after one mile and my headband after 2 miles, a balmy +5 I think

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.