Shades Marathon Training

58,701 to 58,720 of 66,546 messages
17/01/2013 at 07:37

lol

http://www.forecast.co.uk/moor-row.html try feels like -13 that is for 6am admittedlty on sunday but still it is -3 feels like -8 this morning which is bollocks. Wasn't cold at all just now. Only got one clingy thin vest top under a normal long sleeve top.

17/01/2013 at 08:14

Dog oil?? It will be Horse oil next!
I use Tiger balm sometimes. That is good stuff but stinks!

So Shades, what shall we do instead of Gloucester? Shall we go for a slap up roast

17/01/2013 at 08:17
Dog oil is made FOR dogs It's been around for many many years - I heard about it from two places at once - my running club and my mum. It was recommended she use it on her rheumatoid arthritis in her hands. Works well for that as well.

It doesn't smell either
17/01/2013 at 08:18

VR - that's a good idea   How's the foot today? You swinging tonight?

Must email my votes for AGM later today.

Keith - that looks cold

17/01/2013 at 08:22

Foot is getting better thanks, just a slight limp now. I could go swinging as long as I dont jump about. I'll book later.

17/01/2013 at 08:26

@Shades - sorry to hear that you're not running Gloucester.

I've not been able to get out. I'm hoping to get out tonight when it should be a little 'warmer' (read: -1 instead of -8).

17/01/2013 at 13:30

Emmy - I'm OK about not doing Glos, will probably do Shrewsbury instead in June....should be warmer then.

I've just bought an Under Armour long sleeved compression top from M & M if you still want one, £19.99

VR - see you later, I think I'll have a go with the 6kg tonight

17/01/2013 at 13:42

I got a slow 7-miler in today.  I don't usually run after a tough Wednesday night club session but the forecast gives snow down this way for tomorrow (my usual running day) so I thought I'd better get the run in today instead.  Hopefully a slow 13-miler planned on Saturday, depending on the conditions.

17/01/2013 at 14:00

*brrr* Shivers.. Ive been out for a 5 mile run at 'lunch' and it was -4.... I think that i'll need to get some more under armour shades! Thanks for the heads up!

I don't think i could manage a tempo run in the weather... the snow is fine but there's still a lot of ice around.

I hope that everyone else is doing well

17/01/2013 at 14:53

A new Shades recruit here - many thanks for the plan , I have been following it religiously - apart from running a bit too quickly on my long and easy runs. I'm at the top end of the paces you suggested I do. How do you slow down?? Or will it just happen when the runs get longer and I get more knackered...

I don't mind the cold weather but I don't like running on ice. And the forecast for this weekend is dire. I'm going out tonight for a 5 mile easy before it comes in but I'm supposed to do a 14 mile LSR this weekend. I don't have a treadmill or access to a gym at the weekend. What do you all do in this kind of weather?

@Khanivore - I'm doing VLM as well and have a charity place but if I get injured, they will let me defer until next year. Is that not an option?

17/01/2013 at 15:04
Louey wrote (see)

A new Shades recruit here - many thanks for the plan , I have been following it religiously - apart from running a bit too quickly on my long and easy runs. I'm at the top end of the paces you suggested I do. How do you slow down?? Or will it just happen when the runs get longer and I get more knackered...

I don't mind the cold weather but I don't like running on ice. And the forecast for this weekend is dire. I'm going out tonight for a 5 mile easy before it comes in but I'm supposed to do a 14 mile LSR this weekend. I don't have a treadmill or access to a gym at the weekend. What do you all do in this kind of weather?

@Khanivore - I'm doing VLM as well and have a charity place but if I get injured, they will let me defer until next year. Is that not an option?

Hi Louey Welcome!

I find that its a skill to slow yourself down - i try to slow my breathing down and put my steps in line with my breathe and focus on it and it seems to work.

In this weather - I either run on the roads with lots of hi-viz, run on the snow itself or be VERY VERY careful.

17/01/2013 at 15:22

Thanks Emmy - I've got a high vis bib (as yet unworn) so may break that out this weekend. Will try the breathing technique as well

17/01/2013 at 16:48

I try lots of different things to try and work on my pace "count 1,2,3,4" and keep the seconds inbetween or try working on your stride etc.

I dont mind snow... i just hate ice!

17/01/2013 at 18:53

Bastards.... Met Office have removed tomorrows snow

Bring it back

Shades - I hear Gloucester are announcing tomorrow whether its a yes or no for Sunday.

17/01/2013 at 22:35

Busy week at work so far and with the cold temps I have done my midweek runs in the Gym late on. But I'm sweating like crazy!!!  I've always sweated a lot, but this is like Niagra 

I've checked a few threads and apparently the fitter you are the more you sweat (as your body is more efficient at temperature management and sweats more if it needs to),  but blimey !!! 

I like snow, just not sure how my LSR will be affected on Sunday 

Stay warm people (not sweaty )

18/01/2013 at 06:58

Somewhat blowy out here having just down a relatively nippy whizz to cash machine and back again. 5k in 27 mins roughly inc mini warm up and down aka going slowly along one bit to avoid falling over the twigs and branches that have fallen down in the wind.

18/01/2013 at 07:16

Emmy - not worth risking a tempo run in poor conditions.

Hi Louey - I've very pleased to hear you're following the plan.   Are you racing once a month too?   Maybe we need to recalulate your training paces if they feel too slow for you, or maybe you are just trying to run too fast!

If the weather is bad then just skip your run, or maybe just do a short run instead.

Keith - thanks for the info on Glos.   I'd be very surprised if it goes ahead, forecast gets worse every time I look.

Heavy sleet this morning with a bitter wind, got cold and wet but had a good run

18/01/2013 at 07:21

Shades - In case you dont watch BBC News live on M5 only lanes being used are lane 1 both ways @ Weston Supermare let alone above Bristol

18/01/2013 at 08:19

Thanks Keith, I don't bother with the traffic news in the morning, my commute is about 4 minutes and most of that is waiting at junctions.  

My bosses won't be very happy, one is leaving for the Maldives today and another going to Dubai early tomorrow, 3rd one is going to Turkey but not until Monday.   First one is holiday, the other 2 are business trips

I think they'll cancel Glos now.

18/01/2013 at 08:25

How was swinging last night Shades? did you use the 6kg?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.