Shades Marathon Training

58,741 to 58,760 of 66,429 messages
19/01/2013 at 09:15

Morning! Snow has gone and freezing rain now  Rest day today and long run planned tomorrow. Good luck everyone with your runs this weekend

19/01/2013 at 10:27

I got a 12-miler in this morning.  I confess that I set out to do 12-15, but I was very cold so I didn't get the last 3 mile loop in.  It seemed to be getting colder the longer I was out for as well.  No snow or ice though, which is great 

I'm on 100% for the first two weeks of Marathon Talk's Jantastic currently as well.

19/01/2013 at 15:57

Hmm 24:51 not too bad i suppose.Went off too fast Not a overly fast course 50:50 track/grass with the grass bits going to muddy when not frozen too. Nice hill/climb in the middle too to be done 3 times...

19/01/2013 at 20:45

10km done on the treadmill today as pavements are very icy! boring though and for some reason people kept coming up to talk to me while i was running!! not quite what I was hoping for.  More snow tonight but hopefully will get a run in the great outdoors tomorrow at some stage!

20/01/2013 at 07:28

Keith - that's a good time.   You been burning the candle at both ends again

Big G - Full marks to you for doing 12 miles in that weather.   Later on I only walked down town and it was so cold, with that wind it was bitter.

bootsie - Luckily I've still not had to resort to the treadmill, at the moment our roads and pavements are dry.

Think today I will test our my new UA compression ColdGear kit

Edited: 20/01/2013 at 07:32
20/01/2013 at 09:22
No running for me today but I've just had the breakfast of champions, with a very slight twist. Porridge with a massive dollop of Golden Syrup
20/01/2013 at 10:26

Shades - No just some online gaming Now to assess how cold it is by going shopping. Then i get to decide how far i shall run.

20/01/2013 at 10:29

Big G - when VR and I were in Florence on the morning of the marathon one of the Italians staying in our hotel had spaghetti and honey as his pre race breakfast, so your choice is pretty close.

I'm leaning towards taking a rest day today, 13 days since my last rest day and I think it's so cold out there I might have trouble getting out the front door.   Housework and marathon race entries intead

20/01/2013 at 10:41

Yes - I do like the porrige but I don't run on it, although I believe Paula does.

Edited: 20/01/2013 at 10:43
20/01/2013 at 10:48

Not my preferred pre race breakfast either

20/01/2013 at 11:26
18 miles on the treadmill this morning. Definitely feels easier on the legs but don't get the same buzz that I get from running outside. Annoyingly it stopped after an hour and i had to get somoeone to show me how to set it for longer. Some of pavements here are clear but others v icy and didn't fancy lots of stopping and starting and having to think too much about the route. Snowing now again, really hop it goes before I am due to run again on Tuesday.
20/01/2013 at 12:28

Lol Shades i thought the same when shopping. A bit on the chilly side but i could cope easy enough, nowhere near as bad as Quadzilla last year. But then the legs were achy a bit ambling around Tesco's so a lazy afternoon instead i think

20/01/2013 at 12:50
Managed 10 miles on treadmill. Sooooooooooo boring. Added a bit of speed work at the end to make me feel like its a decent session. Maybe a long mid week run to make up for the reduced mileage.
20/01/2013 at 15:16

slow! thats impressive! Rattler you too!

5km done in 23:30 on the treadmill today.. having a lazy afternoon now!

20/01/2013 at 15:22
Not sure why, but my phone has just posted a previous comment of mine, so I've edited the post to remove it.
Edited: 20/01/2013 at 15:24
20/01/2013 at 15:40
That happened to me Big G at the top of this page!

Well done guys on the treadmill !! Don't know how you do it!
20/01/2013 at 17:43
VR, I couldn't use the treadmill every week, think it would zap my love for running. But my legs feel better than usual after a long run and I really don't want to risk injury.
20/01/2013 at 19:49

14 miles in the snow this morning. Very slow, but I'm pleased I did it. It actually wasn't too bad, we've had a lot of snow today and it covered up the worst icy bits.

Kudos for all of you doing long runs on the treadmill - must be really boring. Mind you, I think if I had one at home, I would have stayed inside instead of venturing out into the snow. 

Shades - I may need to change my times in a few weeks but for the moment I think I will stick with them.  If I can do the 16 mile LSR in a few weeks in non-snowy conditions, that will give me an idea of whether I need to up the pace a bit in the long runs. I've got a half in mid-feb and a 20-miler race in mid March organised but nothing before then, and with the weather being as it is, it would probably be cancelled anyway. 

How do you work out what your marathon pace should be? I understand why you do the LSR at a slower rate, but then all the advice is not to run the marathon at a pace you've never run before. But I will never have run a really long distance at marathon pace. Am I missing something? 

21/01/2013 at 06:52

Finally some snow, not a lot but enough to give a ligt coating

21/01/2013 at 07:14
Louey wrote (see)

Shades - I may need to change my times in a few weeks but for the moment I think I will stick with them.  If I can do the 16 mile LSR in a few weeks in non-snowy conditions, that will give me an idea of whether I need to up the pace a bit in the long runs. I've got a half in mid-feb and a 20-miler race in mid March organised but nothing before then, and with the weather being as it is, it would probably be cancelled anyway. 

How do you work out what your marathon pace should be? I understand why you do the LSR at a slower rate, but then all the advice is not to run the marathon at a pace you've never run before. But I will never have run a really long distance at marathon pace. Am I missing something? 

Louey - it's how you do in your races that will decide your marathon pace and your training paces.   If this weather clears you could do a 10 mile time trial, run it as you would a race, on fresh legs and as fast as you can but maintaining a consistant pace throughout (as far as possible) and we can use that time to recalculate your training paces.    This would also give a target half marathon pace too.

Don't expect to do any long runs at marathon pace, these forums are littered with runners that ran their long runs at marathon pace and on race day crashed and burned.

If you were going to climb Everest you wouldn't do it the week before just to see if you could do it!

Well done to those of you that did your runs on the treadmill.  I didn't set foot outside the front door.

Lovely run this morning, dry and cold, but no ice and the wind has dropped to a breeze which is OK

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.