Shades Marathon Training

58,761 to 58,780 of 66,403 messages
21/01/2013 at 09:54

Half Marathon got cancelled yesterday, so did a 16m run instead in the snow & mud. Tried to keep it as much offroad as possible & really enjoyed it although some bits were tough going.

Struggle to do 10mins on a treadmill, just get bored.

Keith - Hmm online gaming, 4am before you know it!!

Good to hear everyone is getting out.

21/01/2013 at 13:26

Not a running question, but can anyone decipher this which is a facebook status update from a twenty-something friend of mine?  I think he had a good weekend, but I'm not entirely sure   

Just a few observations from The Bugged Out Weekender 2013:
Pool party would be much better if they served alcohol
It's colder than 2012
The sports bar should really stay open until the football finishes.
MC's are totally ****, no exeptions.
Chemical brothers DJ set was better than their own tunes.
Butlins don't give a **** about blocked toilets nor do they like you using the balcony in "adverse weather conditions"
Girls shorts are shorter but waistlines are much higher?
It's almost impossible to do the Melbourne shuffle on a beer soaked carpet.
I saw at least 1 bouncer havin it!
Steak pie from The Beachcomber is the best I've ever had!

Van Gogh's booth is well worth £3

Everyone has a "getting into the pool" dance
Papa Johns ain't got **** on Dominos
There is always 1 crazy Chinese guy givin it full beans.
1 bottle of Jaiger was never going to be enough.
Andy Weatherall's beard is outstanding!
Amazing weekend! See you next you sexy beast....

21/01/2013 at 13:29

LOL

21/01/2013 at 14:28

lol!!

21/01/2013 at 22:09
Hi hope you are all well. I've stayed away as reding your reports makes me want to run. I have not run for 1.5 weeks now and the slight stiffness in my left leg persists. My back seems fine.

Shades should I take another week off? I have run 1 week in the last 5 so if you think I should take another week out I will.
22/01/2013 at 07:13

Khanivore - good to hear your back is better.   Do your legs feel better?   And the remaining niggle in your leeft leg, has that improved?

Why not try a gentle 3 or 4 miler followed by a good stretching session and see how you get on.

We have had quite a lot of rain during the night, thought it might have turned to ice as it was only 1 degree when I drove home at 7pm last night but it appears to have warmed up a bit.   So had a decent run with no ice and it did feel a little warmer

22/01/2013 at 07:22
Shades everything is a little better but that side of calf and behind the knee niggle is still there. It's is not hurting all the time but it still is a little stuff when I get up from my desk. Should I hold off for another week?
22/01/2013 at 07:24
In fact the stiffness / pain is there when I stretch too.
22/01/2013 at 08:19

Khanivore - maybe a couple more days rest, especially as we have this bitterly cold weather, which won't do your muscles any good.   

I couldn't run at all in cold weather when recovering from my hanstring origin injury and even now I'm cautious about very cold weather.

22/01/2013 at 10:16

khanivore you can only benefit from resting up at the moment

I might be having a slow week myself.  Didn't sleep last night as throat is quite sore.  Not a normal sore throat, just feels very scratchy if that makes sense and very very tired so maybe another day off today.  10km on sunday so keen to do well at that

22/01/2013 at 10:27

Good 23k in snow Sunday, really enjoyed it but took me 2.28  and was wiped out afterwards. Well done to everyone who completed long treadmill sessions - must be a good exercise in self discipline. I know I would give up!

22/01/2013 at 13:10

mamafox - a much more intensive workout running in the snow.

bootsie - sounds like you're getting a cold/virus.

KingKenny - sorry to hear your race was cancelled too.

22/01/2013 at 14:35

ya thought that too shades.. will rest today and see how i feel tomorrow

22/01/2013 at 18:14
Khanivore, glad the back is on the mend but annoying that your legs are still stiff. Agree with Shades though that you need to be even more careful in these conditions. I feel my legs getting tight and stiff just from doing the school run in the cold. Tread mill again tonight.
23/01/2013 at 07:11

Can't wait for the weekend when the weather is going to be a balmy 8-10 degrees

I'm in the office today on my own, my boss is in Dubai and my colleague is snowed in.   No snow here but she lives over the border in Somerset

Nice run, no ice, cold east wind though.   Police car stopped to let me cross the road which then caused all the traffic to slow down and behave in a very gentle and polite manner..LOL

23/01/2013 at 08:45

feeling much better, rested up completely last night with pizza and a movie! going to go to the gym this evening for a gentle run on the dreaded treddie!

police doing a good job shades!!

23/01/2013 at 09:33

Shades - is that the same supportive and understanding colleague who is flexible regarding your marathon commitments..? If so what a SHAME she is snowed in

LOL re the police!

23/01/2013 at 09:39

I'm umming and ahhing about upping my schedule from 4 to 5 times a week, maybe not all weeks but on some weeks where I feel like it.  The reason is that 4 times a week kind of feels a bit too easy (although I'm only doing about 30-35 miles a week at the moment), but I'm wondering if 5 times a week will then take me into feeling too tired particularly when I get into the higher mileage on Shade's plan.  Any thoughts?

Edited: 23/01/2013 at 09:48
23/01/2013 at 11:10
Shades, 8 degrees sounds tropical. Really hope this snow is cleared by weekend as sick of treadmill. It's actually snowing a bit now though!

8 miles on TM again with 5 at 8:30mm, 2 at 8:00mm and because I was bored, last mile at 7:30mm. Garmin which I ordered (210) came yesterday and I am desperate to use it. It seems much easier to operate than the 410 as it has no bezel.

Big G, I usually run 5 times a week and like this as the rest days really feel like rest days. My 5th session is a club one though so I don't always make it - as it's the day before my long run, I opt out if I am feeling tired and they are doing anything too strenuous!
23/01/2013 at 13:09

mamafox - it is indeed the same understanding colleague, and it took her over 2 hours to drive home last night.   I walked to work yesterday as it was icy after a heavy hailstorm, then walked home last night in 11 minutes

Big G - if you feel fresh and ready for another run then add an extra session.

Slowkoala - We have snow this morning too, but although the roads are bad not far from here, I think we're OK.   Not easy to judge as we don't have any windows in our office, only windows are in the roof which is of no help at all.

Good luck with the Garmin, it will become your best running buddy.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.