Shades Marathon Training

58,781 to 58,800 of 67,602 messages
23/01/2013 at 13:15

Nice 8 last night, struggled to keep pace down and went a little too fast...just one of those runs that feels really good.

Still a little bit icy, but not too bad just patches really. Snowing here at the moment.

Temp going up but rain coming in, I'd take the snow anyday.

4 Days a week is plenty enough for me, play footy once a week as well.

106 miles for the month so far is the most ever for me & still a week to go.

23/01/2013 at 18:29
Evening folks,
Anyone else thoroughly fed up with the horrible weather? Been battering out quite a few miles on the treadmill. Did reps tonight as I couldn't face my MWLR on it, my excuse being that I did the last 9 miles of a 20 miler in the gym on Saturday. Got fed up with bits of slush, bits of clear pavement and bits of ice!

On the verge of signing up for a September marathon. I'm going to be 40 and there's a marathon in Aberfeldy the day after. Having invited friends away for the weekend I've pretty much committed myself.
24/01/2013 at 07:11

Kingkenny - seems like you're enjoying your training

Clag - well, if you will live way up there.   And weather condition were a strong influence for me on choosing to live in Devon (having spent 2 winters in Scotland).

That Aberfeldy marathon looks good, not for me this year as I'm at Dingle

Lovely run today, no ice and a bit milder, had to take my hat off before the end of my run I was too hot

Edited: 24/01/2013 at 07:11
24/01/2013 at 07:46

I got a club session in last night.  It was 6x1k loops, with approx 200m jog recovery and it was a good session.  On the last loop, the club 10k club record holder (who was on his 7th loop) caught me up and dragged me along which was good as it really pushed me.  It was interesting actually, as he took one look at me and just said 'relax your arms, mate', which I did and that seemed to help as well.  I must remember that for my other runs.

I nearly didn't go out at all because at 6.30pm when I was leaving it was raining very heavily, it was cold and there was snow/sleet in the air.  It started off being the worst conditions that I've run in, but I'm glad I went out and as always didn't regret the session

24/01/2013 at 10:55

Quite enjoying having a more structured plan to follow, I've kind of half followed plans before but skipped far too much! ...It's the usual CBA but once out there enjoy it every time.

Feb/Mar will be tough as the mileage increases. Need to control my paces a bit better & hopefully stay injury free. We will see in London if it's all been worth it

Ice mostly all gone here, but not really caused any issues with runs. Worst day was Sunday but just headed offroad so all good.

On the long runs I always try and remember to relax my shoulders a bit and also shake my arms out quite regularly, it's horrible when you get an ache in your shoulder that won't budge.

Good running all

24/01/2013 at 15:31
Good session there Big G. I thought about you guys when the rain came down!

My foot is a lot better. Went out for the first time yesterday and did 3 miles as a test. Then did 10 this morning. So far so good lovely bright day too.

I'm having withdrawal symptoms though! It's been almost 6 weeks since my last marathon!!!
24/01/2013 at 16:02

10km race on sunday postponed and i'm not free on the next day so will have to race on treadmill to see how fast I can do it instead!

going out tonight for a plod if the roads look ok otherwise back into the gym for me!

24/01/2013 at 19:34

My gym running continued this week as I wimped out of the snowy roads.

May get on the roads tomorrow, but will have to for the LSR 16 miler on Sunday. The fresh air has been a bit too fresh  And the snow too slippery 

@Shades  - I've got the Portsmouth half in a few weeks, should I be looking to run this as quick as poss, or should I be using this to test my intended 9min/mile Marathon goal pace?

24/01/2013 at 22:15

same here Rattler!

4 miles done in 31 mins.. feel tired!

25/01/2013 at 05:48

lol er.....

Seems we have flipped back to the forecast given for today on monday weather wise.

Light snow around 9 switching to heavy snow by noon lasting right thru until early evening where he switches to sleet. Handily i was gonna drive to work so i could go shopping afterwards. May be a slowish trip down town now but i shall still be going.

Now to go freeze myself and try not to fall over outside. At least it warms up tomorrow albeit cos it'll be raining instead.

Edited: 25/01/2013 at 05:49
25/01/2013 at 07:11

Well i managed to stay upright albeit somewhat luckily on one stretch.... SLiding off the cycle track into the grass helped there. Still 5 miles over a mixture of clear cycle track/pavement, snow covered but compacted flat or icy/snowy mix. As well as patches of melted snow as ice too.

25/01/2013 at 07:12

Big G - tough session

KingKenny - when is your next race

VR - good news you can run again.    You weren't at swinging last night?

Rattler - re Portsmouth, race it as a half marathon but no need to taper.

Keith - a balmy 5 degrees here this morning, had to remove my hat and gloves during my run, I was too hot.   We're going to get rain later but 8 degrees

Yippee Friday

25/01/2013 at 07:26

it was 5 degrees here too if you stick a - in front of it Well the windchill part certanily was. 0 degrees with a pretty fresh breeze making it -6/7 according to met office.

25/01/2013 at 08:58

Rattler, i'll see you at the marathon. i'm looking at a 9 minute pace as well. anything under 4 hours is my target.

back on a 16 mile LSR this sunday after deciding to take the snow as a break. it's done me the world of good. i was feeling tight in the legs and a bit niggly in general beforehand and after this rest i feel great again.

25/01/2013 at 09:31

I looked at my splits for that club session (I remembered to hit the lap button at the start/end of each loop), and it is interesting......if you're a geek like me.   

I was pretty consistent on the first 5 loops, and then a quite a lot quicker on the last one, where I was being pulled along by the fast runner.  There are slight differences in the distances (which are in miles) as a) I was manually hitting the lap button so was open to error and b) it was an alternating clockwise/anti-clockwise circuit where looking back we were cutting the first corner a bit on one direction.

Split   Time     Distance     Av Pace
1        4:10.7     0.59          7:04
2        4:11.5     0.61          6:55
3        4:12.4     0.60          6:59
4        4:09.7     0.60          6:54
5        4:10.7     0.59          7:02
6        3:53.4     0.61          6:24

I got a 7-miler in yesterday so a rest day for me today, and then 12-15 on Saturday hopefully.

Edited: 25/01/2013 at 09:42
25/01/2013 at 09:42

First bad run in ages last night, just wasn't feeling it at all & 5 miles was a struggle. Lace came undone just after 4 miles (never had this happen!) but couldn't be arsed to stop and do it up. Decided to skip the scheduled 5 today and rest instead & do the 13miler in the morning. Can always do a very easy run Sunday night if all is well.

Shades - Next race. I'm thinking of entering Cloud9 (it's a hilly offroad 9 miler) on 3rd March but due a LSR of 20m on that day so not sure how to adjust the plan. I've also entered the Barca Marathon on 17th March, but will be using it as a training run (down for a 20 that weekend anyway). Nothing else planned before London. Can't find a suitable half in Feb/March/April that doesn't clash with life

How's this for inspiration, noticed this lady topping the mileage charts on Endomondo  so thought I'd take a peak at her training -

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/user/4346528

She's been running a marathon a day since mid July & I think she's trying to do 365 consecutive marathons....and I moan about a bad 5 miler!

25/01/2013 at 09:44

Ah, 366 in 365 , well 365 would have been far to easy.

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?from=da&to=en&a=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.annettefredskov.dk%2Fom-366-marathon-pa-1ar%2F

25/01/2013 at 09:48

Talking about inspiration, did anyone see this.  

"A 76-year-old mother of four and grandmother of 12, Libby James set the world record for fastest half marathon for the 75-79 age group during the Walt Disney World Half Marathon at Walt Disney World Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Fla."

It doesn't say it in that article but I think she broke her own world record.

25/01/2013 at 09:48

holy crap.

25/01/2013 at 10:18

she rocks!!

14 miles tomorrow am .. roads look good now so hoping it stays that way! then going to try a 10km on sunday at a relaxed pace!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.