Shades Marathon Training

58,801 to 58,820 of 67,856 messages
25/01/2013 at 10:54

Big G - I saw that on Marathon Talk - she's INCREDIBLE. They're trying to interview her.

I apologise for being off the radar lately...work is so busy that i'm not even getting the chance to run

25/01/2013 at 12:23
I heard about that 75 year old too, what a great role model! And yes it was he own world record that she beat, by a few minutes I think.

Managed to run outside today for my temp run. Felt quite tough but think this may be as I have been on the treadmill for the last week which is much easier. Took the garmin and the iPod with Nike plus app and impressed by how similar the distance recorded was, within less than one tenth of a mile.

Big G, great session you had there.
25/01/2013 at 21:14

I did my tempo run in the gym tonight, 5 miles -  8mpm, knackered. Lots of work pressure at the moment - it's been a long week.

At least tomorrow is a rest day, and I'm back outside on Sunday - hoorah!!! - 16 miles, actually looking forward to it. Using map my run to plot the route now - luffly

26/01/2013 at 07:18

sofaboy - glad you're feeling refreshed, sometimes just a rest day or two is all it takes to recharge the batteries.

Great TOTP from you

KingKenny - can you up the mileage on the previous weeks Sunday run?

Rattler - hopefully you can leave the treadmill alone for a while now and get out in the fresh air.

Lovely to run without a jacket today, downgraded to a gilet and lighter gloves and no hat.  

Hope nobody is stuck in the snow up north?

26/01/2013 at 11:00
The sun is out today and is melti g more of the snow. Nice session with running club in park with lots of short sprints. Had to miss the coffee and cake though as off to wedding now. So nice to be running outside again, not missing treadmill at all
26/01/2013 at 11:12

I've just completed a nice 15-miler.  I'm experimenting with running food, and the current favourite is a piece of homemade flapjack.  I was out for 2hr 20mins and the flapjack went down a treat 1.5 hours of running 

26/01/2013 at 12:37

I opted to walk to work yesterday Shades I was going to drive then go shopping after work but had seen the forecast.

Quite a good choice really

Started at 8am just beforei went to work but stopped around 11, had mostly melted away by the time it started again at lunchtime. Then it stopped again before that big heavy stuff hit at 3. 30 mins later 2 inches in the carpark and soon afterwards everyone was sent home although 2 of us work to 5 usually and opted to stay.

Being it took until nearly 5 for the science park gridlock to clear it was a sensible choice Only took me a little longer than normal walking home and thats cos the snow was battering into me as its into the wind to get home.

Unable to watch telly last night as sat dish covered and it was still snowing when i went to bed ariound 11. All slushy out now with thicker bits in places from what i can see on the back roads. Went to the shop up the cycle track and its 1-3 inches generally but deeper in places and merely icy in others. A hell of a lot of meltwater running arund and thats before the rain hits later today.

27/01/2013 at 07:10

Slowkoala - I bet you were pleased to be running outdoors again.

Big G - good news you've found running fuel that suits you.

Keith - has all your snow gone now?

Yesterday was a balmy 9 degrees when I got home from th shopping and the sun was out.   Been a wet and windy night, rain stopped now, still mild.

27/01/2013 at 09:39

Shades - Roads and cars were clear by early evening, the largeish balls of snow (which i suspect might have been people rolling them up rather than from cars going up and down the road) nextto most cars were still there. Field appeared to be covered still but naturally its now daylight and it was pissing down before i went to bed and also when i woke up too.

So all gone and instead very wet i bet, will find out later anyway when i go for a run.

27/01/2013 at 10:03
Hi all,

We've had a fair bit of snow yesterday but in the course of overnight it's risen to +4 and tropical temperatures.

How is everyone getting on with their runs?

Thank you to shades for your advice. Today will be a rest day for me
27/01/2013 at 12:25

All snow now gone, quite wet though, but not raining!! 16 miles this morning, felt a bit sluggish, and my nutrition strategy made my stomach ache   No emergencies though , ran with Lucozade Sport and a gel pack at 10 miles, but maybe go back to water only and a gel pack at 8 miles or so?? - need to sort this out.. Did have a shake about 20 mins before going out, maybe should have left it longer - or not had a shake at all?? 

Managed to average 9.35 per mile - but felt like hard work - maybe a week's gym running has softened me a bit  or the nutrition / diet needs work.

Also, I get competitive when meeting other runners on the road, my Garmin tells me miles 8 and 9 were 7.50 and 7.55 - I should know better and be more controlled  - can't help it though.

Hope you're all out and about and staying safe - Tim

27/01/2013 at 12:27
Sunny day here and all of snow now melted but lots of huge puddles everywhere. Managed another 20 mile run. Miles 16 to 20 felt quite tough. Took two gels which helped but think next time I will need water too as the gels made me thirsty. Garmin say 8:30 pace and Nike plus says 8:23! Think garmin probably more accurate. All I know is running back outside is much better than the TM but also tougher on the legs.

Shades, Brighton HM is 3 weeks today. What should I do on my next two long Sunday runs? My last ones have been 16, 17, 18, 20, 18 (TM), 20.
28/01/2013 at 06:53

Emmy - hope you're feeling refreshed?

Rattler - it's a case of trial and error to find what suits you for your long runs.   LOL at the speeding up when seeing other runners, our natural competitive streak

Slowkoala - some gels require you to take with water, but I think you do need to start having some fluids during your long runs, also a pre run breakfast.   At VLM you will have to get up a long time before you start to run so you will need to eat.   It's important to top up glycogen stores on race morning.

You've done a good series of long runs so a little caution I think, 14 next Sunday and 16 the week after, should leave you fresh to do a good half marathon PB.

28/01/2013 at 09:08

13 LSR yesterday. i thought it was supposed to be a 16 but i'd remembered my weeks wrongly.

it turned out to be a really nice, gentle run to get back into it after 10 days off. i did think about extending it to 16 anyway but decided that i woudn't push things. did 9:20 average which is 30 seconds quicker than it should be. i could have done it slower but was feeling good and knocked out a couple of 8:30s mid way just to blow a few more cobwebs out. lengthened my stride rather than increasing cadence and it was awesome. felt much more like proper running rather than slowly trudling along. took the first of my latest batch of home made gels, apple and cinnamon, yum yum. and MUCH cheaper than buying them. 13p each....

28/01/2013 at 09:49

Sofaboy - just letting you know that I'm getting on okay with the foam roller.  I'm using it around 3-4 times per week, and especially before and after a long run.  After the long runs, I usually have some pain in my hamstrings/hips which goes after a day or so.  However, since using the roller this pain seems to have eased off.  For example, I did 15 miles on Saturday and I felt I could have done another run on the Sunday if I'd wanted to.  I still can't touch my toes with my legs straight though 

I'm in the process of getting a Exeter Half Marathon place for 10th Feb transferred to me.  Apparently it's a good PB course, so I'll see how I get on.  Current PB is 1hr50min (Dartmoor Vale 2012)  so if I can better that I'll be pleased.

28/01/2013 at 10:44

well done Big_G! I'm using mine nightly at the moment!

13.2 miles done on saturday morning without my garmin.. done in 2 hrs 8 mins.. not too bad for LSR, think it was faster than when i do it with garmin! felt horrible though.  Tummy was spasming majorly so felt very ill by the time I got home.. wiped out for the weekend.. going for a run at lunchtime now to see how I feel.. its amazing that I still get pain around appendix scar!

28/01/2013 at 11:27

Some good mileage going on this weekend. Had to do my 13m first thing Saturday (out the door at half 6) in the snow/ice/slush, was bloody hard going but strangley enjoyable and set the weekend up nicely.

5 tempo tonight, probably in the rain/wind. About 4/5c here today so mild.

28/01/2013 at 14:43
Sofaboy, like the sound of your home made gels, where's the recipe from?

Shades, your advise sounds sensible re cutting down LR mileage for next 2 weeks before my half, but I am a bit worried that this will mean I only do one 18 plus run for the whole of Feb. Is this OK? Just don't want to lose any endurance I have built up. The gels I took can be taken without water but I agree I definitely need to start taking water on long runs. Think I might plan a loop past my drive after 10 miles and leave a bottle by the bins! Did have a bit of muesli before my run on Sunday but I think next time I will get up earlier so I have time for more. Porridge always a good option.
28/01/2013 at 16:00

if you google "energy gel recipes" you'll get a whole load of hits. the one i've been using is

www.jibbering.com/sports/gels

the apple and cinnamon one is really tasty and easy. the berries one is a bit more tricky to make (i managed to burn my first batch and had to bin it) and i think needs a bit of sugar added as its a little bitter and bland otherwise.

i use both by putting 2-3oz in an 8oz gel bottle and mixing to full with water.

i always have a ham and mushroom omelette and a banana for breakfast 90 minutes before my LSR.

28/01/2013 at 16:49

18 mile for me yesterday, really hard going 9 mile was up hill and into a constant 20-25mph wind. not sure i have ever dug so deep to complete a run.  Got to 12 mile and told myself that i would do a 3 mile loop and call it a day at 15 mile, did that and then talked myself into 2 more miles and promised myself i would stop at 17, but then had to do the last mile.  

My legs are not happy today    I really hate the wind, and not looking forward to Blackpool mara 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.