Shades Marathon Training

58,821 to 58,840 of 65,068 messages
28/01/2013 at 16:00

if you google "energy gel recipes" you'll get a whole load of hits. the one i've been using is

www.jibbering.com/sports/gels

the apple and cinnamon one is really tasty and easy. the berries one is a bit more tricky to make (i managed to burn my first batch and had to bin it) and i think needs a bit of sugar added as its a little bitter and bland otherwise.

i use both by putting 2-3oz in an 8oz gel bottle and mixing to full with water.

i always have a ham and mushroom omelette and a banana for breakfast 90 minutes before my LSR.

28/01/2013 at 16:49

18 mile for me yesterday, really hard going 9 mile was up hill and into a constant 20-25mph wind. not sure i have ever dug so deep to complete a run.  Got to 12 mile and told myself that i would do a 3 mile loop and call it a day at 15 mile, did that and then talked myself into 2 more miles and promised myself i would stop at 17, but then had to do the last mile.  

My legs are not happy today    I really hate the wind, and not looking forward to Blackpool mara 

28/01/2013 at 17:47

Sofaboy - that's really interesting making your own gels as the shop bought ones are such a rip off for a bit of sugar.

Big G- I've heard that's a fast course, weather permitting you should get a good PB

bootsie - amazing you're still having twinges on your scar

Slowkoala - that's good news about the breakfast.   Re the water, you can always take some money and stop at a shop/garage. 

You will be fine re long runs for Feb, you've got a lot of long runs in the bank already then in March you'll do a couple more 20/22 and you'll be ready for April

S3200H - I loathe the wind too and still have memories of the fierce headwind when I ran Blackpool

Windy here today too, just went to the bank and my umbrella broke in the wind, had trouble squashing it in the litter bin which was already full of discarded umbrellas

I think VR starts her circus training tonight

28/01/2013 at 20:08

I know shades! annoying

very windy around here at the moment, glad I ran at lunchtime!

28/01/2013 at 21:55
Lol! TRX training and it was last Wednesday. Interesting bit of kit but I'm not sure if that ceiling is up to the job.

Wind is horrible.
28/01/2013 at 22:43
Shades, thanks for the wise words re long runs. I can't believe how fast the time is passing. February at the end of this week and as a lot of April is tapering, not much time to go.

Sofaboy, thanks for the gel recipes. The apple and cinnamon one sounds nice. You must be really organised making these in advance.

Rattler, I'm the same when I see other runners. Mad I know as they might be doing different kind of run anyway. A guy overtook me yesterday and I ran just behind him for about half a mile - he took all the wind and rain! But a couple of weeks ago a lady overtook me and it put me on a real downer for half an hour!
29/01/2013 at 07:09

VR - have you signed up for the TRX course or was that just a free trial?

Slowkoala - you're a speedy thing, I bet those runners that overtook you sat down at the nearest opportunity for a rest.

Still windy this morning, but not so bad and so mild.

29/01/2013 at 07:45

not so much orgsnised, more a combination of a nerdy love of making stuff and a desire not to spend loads of oney.

went over on my ankle playing squash last night. i haven't hurt it badly, thank god, but the ligaments are pretty sore. hopefully i won't be out of action for more than a few days.

29/01/2013 at 08:22

Shades - I think they are doing pay as you go for TRX now and not as a course.
The girls that teaches it is a Trotter  

29/01/2013 at 08:23

Girl. Not girls! Haven't woken up yet!

29/01/2013 at 08:25

Hi everyone - good to hear your progress - Did a good 28k on Sunday in 2.23. Enjoyed doing a new circuit, now 3 out of my 5 weekly runs are different ones and the change in scenery / cadence etc has made a big difference.

Rattler - lol re speeding up when you see someone else! Am now careful to make sure I am capable of sustaining my "showing off" pace for as long as I am visible... nasty experience a while ago of accelerating up a hill when I saw two cyclists only to discover when I got to a corner that it was a massive group of bikes and to save face I had to pretend that this was my normal speed until they'd all passed. When I finally got to the top was nearly sick behind a hedge and hobbled the rest of the way home...

Thank you for advice re juggling long runs with other races before marathon. Have also been worrying about losing endurance runs but not being too tired for 28k trail in 3 weeks and a half a couple of weeks after. Nutrition info useful too. Having never eaten before or during running am now trying to get myself used to eating something before long run (muesli bar this week seems ok).

Other news is that I tripped over my (one eyed) dog during a night run ending up flat on my face with large hole in favourite leggings  Just thought I 'd share that with you all

29/01/2013 at 08:32

mamafox wrote (see)

...........I Am now careful to make sure I am capable of sustaining my "showing off" pace for as long as I am visible... 

That's true, but with al these New Year resolution runners out and about, it's really tricky to avoid visibility

Maybe with February looming closer, they'll thin out a bit (or not )

29/01/2013 at 09:20

Rattler - we can live in hope!

29/01/2013 at 09:32

It's a not a very nice trait of mine, but I play "spot the newbie" as well.....  

I always try and give an encouraging nod/grunt/wave (depending on if my lungs are bursting, or if I'm just out for an easy trot) as I do remember my first few runs and how horrible they were!  Any ideas how many people keep their NY resolutions going into the medium/long term?  

I often wonder about the gym membership/business model and also sales for magazines like Runner's World - my assumption is that they must see a big hike in sales in Jan/Feb, but does anyone know if that's actually true?

29/01/2013 at 14:36

5 miles done in the rain but with knee pain from the first mile in.. not sure if muscles are tightening a bit too much, might need a massage!

29/01/2013 at 17:47

Just back from a slow 7-miler today.  I did exactly the same route yesterday at a faster pace and the results are below.  To be honest, I found the slower paced run more boring but I know I've got to stick at that.  I've got a 16-miler planned this weekend which I need to try and stick to the 9min30 (or slower) pace.  There - I have put it in writing so that means I have to do it 

Slower pace    Faster pace
Time            1:07:49            56:15
Avg Pace     9:36 min/mi      7:57 min/mi

29/01/2013 at 19:27
4 mile tempo which was OK except the garmin is making me slower! Per mile, it is telling me I am 12 seconds on average slower than Nike. I expect Garmin is more accurate but it feels like a bit of a set back! Have used Nike plus for races and it's usually OK. Will take both for Brighton HM as an experiment...
29/01/2013 at 20:48

@Slowkoala - presumably both the Garmin and Nike are calculating pace from distance / time, can they give you both of these figures individually (time & distance)? If so, one of them's getting the time or distance wrong. - not sure if this helps? 12 secs / mile is a lot different. Can you use "mapmyrun" to plot your route and ensure the distance you're running is right (and agreed with the Nike and Garmin?)

A 5 mile tempo run for me tonight - felt like hard work. Going to struggle for all my runs this week due to work, will need to get creative  - Tim

29/01/2013 at 21:45
Could I have one of your training plans please? I'm doing the GNR this year and am struggling to speed my pace up because of calf pain.
29/01/2013 at 21:53
Thanks Rattler. I'll try Map My Run and may also try both on a track on Friday. The time recorded is the same but Nike is saying I have run more distance. Not massive difference but frustrating!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.