Shades Marathon Training

58,881 to 58,900 of 66,202 messages
01/02/2013 at 09:07

S3200H you poor thing! take it easy

Big_G coffee?

still no running here, knee is starting to feel much better.. thinking maybe a spin on the cross trainer tonight and see how it feels and if all good, run tomorrow?? thoughts?

01/02/2013 at 09:31

Thanks will do, was was not good, I was in in the side at about 60mph, the side air bag saved me a server head injury.  it is strange though i feel worse 2 days the crash

should be 7 mile tomorrow and 20 on Sunday, but think i will leave this weeks long run and do a gentle 5mile instead, next week was a cut back week so i will just swap weeks around.

01/02/2013 at 10:20
S3200H, thank goodness for the air bag. Relaxing weekend sounds like good idea. Glad you are OK, sounds like it could have been a lot worse.

Bootsie, a gentle one tomorrow sounds like good idea if all OK tonight. When I had knee problems I was really cautious re going back to running and expected to rest until no pain whatsoever. But physio said after a couple of months rest that it was ok to feel a bit of discomfort but important to take it easy at first. Good luck.

6 'easy' miles today but decided to take on a hill at the start. Gave me a slight stitch so rest of run not as comfortable as it should have been. 7 secs difference per mile between garmin and Nike...I'm ignoring the garmin now until post run. Nike remains my friend!
01/02/2013 at 11:05

cheers slowkoala

01/02/2013 at 16:10

Hi everyone, just wanted to see how everyone was doing.

@S3200H - thank god that you're not too badly injured

@Slowkoala - please change your name to speedykoala

01/02/2013 at 22:43
Gym was ok but more knee pain after so I think it's rest and rugby tomorrow! Maybe e a swim
02/02/2013 at 07:10

Big G- I'm not surprised you were tired yesterday morning, probably deydrated too didn't help.

S3200H - good idea to take it easy.   It's usual to feel worse a couple of days after, partially due to shock.

Slowkoala - I hate a hill in the early stages of a race or training run...unless it's downhill of course

bootsie - a bit of rest for that knee and if you swim don't do the leg action for breaststroke that's not good for knees, so front crawl is probably best.

Emmy - what other races have you entered lately?

02/02/2013 at 08:20

I know my target marathon is a long way off still, but I was thinking this morning whilst having my porrige (dangerous, I know!).  I'm going to be staying at a B&B that is close to the start, but I'll have to up, fed and out before they serve their breakfast as the start time is at 8.30am.  I will ask the B&B owner if they wouldn't mind me pinching some of their milk if I take my own shredded wheat and sultanas, but if they say no to that what do others do?  I suppose I should be practicing eating something that I can easily make on the day.....maybe jam sandwiches or something?

When I did London in 2010, this wasn't an issue because the place I stayed at was geared up for runners, plus the start time was later.

02/02/2013 at 08:31

Did anyone see that Horizon program on TV the other night about exercise?  Apparently, only 12 mins per month (that isn't a typo) of vigorous exercise is enough to help see certain improvements.  The program was first on back in 2012 but I didn't see it then.  It's on iPlayer now if anyone is interested.

A review is here.

In order to test the theory, Mosley played guinea pig. The metaphor was an apt one as after 20 seconds going berserk on an exercise bike he was indeed making some noises like a tubercular rodent. But he came back after one month of Hit and both his insulin sensitivity and his aerobic fitness were vastly improved. As these are two things that are likely to make you live longer, Hit, in his case, was a hit.

Any thoughts?  I thought it was complete ballcocks myself, but I do like this guy's programs and he does seem to go about things scientifically.  He did one last year on the 5/2 diet where you "eat what you want" for 5 days a week and "starve yourself" for 2 days a week and see weight loss improvements.  

Not sure how any of this impacts us on this thread, as we're obviously all highly tuned athletes but interesting none the less.

02/02/2013 at 11:37

Big G - yes I saw that TV programme, found it hard to believe but I think any exercise will show improvements in health (if you start off unfit), but the intensity of that brief time on the exercise bike was scary!  And your heart and lungs wouldn't show the benefits of aerobic exercise.  I like his programmes too.

Re your pre race breakfast, most places will do an early breakfast especially as you don't want cooked, even if they lay the stuff out for you and you help yourself and maybe make your own toast.   But just in case they don't, take a thermos flask and put cold fresh milk in it, will keep it fresh for your brekkie the next morning. Good idea to have some extra supplies of your own just in case you want to top up your pre race carbs.   Malt loaf, bagels, and the jam sandwiches

02/02/2013 at 11:59

Shades - good idea about the milk in a thermos.  I hadn't thought of that.  Thanks!  I'll start experimenting to make sure I can run on jam sandwiches too.

I think I mentioned I am planning a half marathon next weekend, assuming the number transfer goes through okay.  It is a flat course so not really similar in terrain to the North Dorset Village marathon, but I'm thinking I'm going to go for a PB rather than treat it as a LSR.  Would that be okay?  Could we then use my time to make sure I'm doing my training sessions at the right pace?  I'm still 12 weeks out, so is it still okay to be thinking about tinkering with training paces?

I am little bit torn, because I've said all along that I want to enjoy this marathon and that is still the main aim.  However, I also want to do a reasonable effort and I know I'll be a bit disappointed if I feel I could have gone a bit quicker (assuming I finish it).  I know these two objectives don't really go together!  I suppose what I am saying is that I don't want to blow up at mile 18 and really hate the last 8, but want to finish strongly. The proverbial "sprint finish" would be great  I hope this makes sense?!

I'm waffling!  I'll post my half time next weekend and go from there.  If I have a nightmare next weekend for whatever reason, I have another half I'm planning at the end of March as well.

02/02/2013 at 14:25
Shades - I don't know what you were implying

Ummm... London 50km on 17th feb... Maybe a mara in Belgium next weekend (if i can get the time off card from hubby) and maybe some days of the 10in10. I was going to use it as an excuse to see family but it doesn't look like that'll happen unfortunately.
02/02/2013 at 16:07
Steady 5 mile today felt really good, will try a longish run tomorrow and see how I go, I am away camping next weekend and I may not be able to get much running done don't want to miss two long runs on the trot.
02/02/2013 at 17:23
Camping?! In this country?

Timed mile with running club today. Went OK, 6m 20s but 10 seconds slower than last month - think may be because last time there were a couple of runners of a similar pace but this time I ran mainly on my own

My Brighton HM number arrived yesterday. Very excited, they put your first name above the number!
03/02/2013 at 06:55

Big G - yes, race your half marathon and go for that PB and if you get it we will recalculate your training paces.   In my training plans I advise racing once a month for speedwork, more race experience, pace control, and to recalculate training paces.

I know you had a rough experience in your last marathon and as long as you continue training well and on race day stick to your pre-determined marathon pace (no faster) for the first half of the race you will feel strong and you should do a good PB.

Emmy - LOL, there's non stopping you now, you'll soon be in the 100 Marathon club

S3200H - glad you're feeling OK after your bump.   Camping...eek

Slowkoala - that is fast but hard to run a mile time trial on your own.   

You really do need to change your forum name

03/02/2013 at 07:38
11 weeks to go and I only did one 5 mile run this week. My back has been sore after that run and my injured leg was sore again so I didn't run again for the last 4 days. I got another sports massage to see if that would help. During my run I noticed a marked loss of fitness.

My cough has gone and I no longer have a cold.

Going to go out on a run again today which will bring my mileage up to 10 miles this week.

Shades what do you think I should do mileage wise to get myself back up to 35 mpw and on the plan over the next few weeks assuming I am not injured? As a reminder my miles per week are shown in the chart below. I did zero miles the week after the chart ends and then 5 miles this week?

http://ninjakhan.co.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Dec-Jan-MPW-Fail.png
03/02/2013 at 07:50
By the way I went to the London marathon meet the experts event yesterday. It was really good from a motivating perspective. Listening to meme of the questions I have to say it really reminded me how lucky we all are to have found shades. She has guided us to where we are now and I can promise you consequently we are all more well informed than many other people.

Who was it that wants to do a 4 hour marathon? I found something perfect for you. Runners world will have 2 runners at the back of each of most of the pens who will run the race at a specific pace throughout the race. There will be a 9min/mile 4 hour runner. They are wearing backpacks with big flags stuck on them. Follow that person and you will get an even split run at your desired time! Try and start next to that person. If you start at the front of the pen, let them catch you up, and then cross the line with them your chip time will be slower than theirs and you will miss your target by the time you waited for them to catch up.

The other great tip is this. You put all your stuff in to bags before you go to the start line. These bags will be ready for you at the end of the race. However, between handing in your bag and starting the race you can get quite cold. So take an old jumper and wear that and discard it by the side of the road once you start running. It will be collected and go to charity.

I am scared about how my training has been going. Things are getting serious. I know shades will get me through this though so it's a positive nervousness rather than a debilitating one.
03/02/2013 at 10:12

I did 8 miles and felt pretty good! I think the massive drop in fitness i perceived in my last run was actually due to my cold more than lack of running. I ran much more easily today. Ok not 100% but certainly not the 50% i felt in my last run! 

I don't know whether it was wearing running tights that did it or whether it was the mental state that going to the marathon event yesterday left me in but I felt pretty good in todays run. I know i was working much harder than i would have been before the enforced break from running as my heart rate was 15 bmp higher throughout. Nevertheless I felt good and was able to keep my muscles relaxed.

I checked my notes on the marathon pacers by the way. Pen 5 will have 2 pacers running 9 minute miles aiming for 3:56:00 finish. Pen 6 will have 2 pacers running at 9:43 minute miles ainging for a 4:15:00 finish. Pen 7 will have 2 pacers running 10 minute miles aiming for a 4:22:00 finish. There will be faster pacers in the lower numbers pens and slower pacers in the higher numbered pens. These are just the ones I noted down. Hope that helps.

Edited: 03/02/2013 at 10:24
03/02/2013 at 11:25
Glad you had a good run Khanivore. How are the legs now? The VLM event sounds good. I wonder when we'll get our numbers/pens or is that when we register the week before? Thanks for tips re pace makers and keeping warm. I remember going to watch the first ever London marathon as a child and there was loads of running gear all over the streets at the start. My sister and I scooped up any good stuff and put it in bags to take home

I did a 15 mile run this morning. Went fine and I tried out a SIS gel at 10 miles. Much less sickly than the lucozade ones. Had to use some men's loos in the park at 7 miles!
03/02/2013 at 12:30
Fastkoala you get your race number at the expo I think. Some more things I remembered:

Your race number allows you free transport on South Eastern rail and London Underground.

It probably isn't worth supporters coming to the start as they will have to walk back maze hill or Greenwich tube to get out.

When you cross the finishing line it takes between 10-40 mins to get out of the secure area so make sure you add that to the expected finish time for people you are meeting.

At the end there are meeting points for each letter of the alphabet. Consider meetin at a letter that is less common such as Z.
Edited: 03/02/2013 at 12:52
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.