Shades Marathon Training

58,901 to 58,920 of 66,150 messages
03/02/2013 at 14:13
Shades - I'm only on #7 so far... A long way to go yet!

@bootsie - did you get out for a run today?
@slowkoala - I've been camping many times in the UK and love it!

Some other notes from my experience of VLM (for those that are interested)
- pacers. Yes, you're right that RW has pacers but you need to be VERY careful about not simply relying on them. I stayed with the 5hr one last year as long as I could but then just around my finish (5.30) the second 5hr pacer came by. Some pacers are good, some are not so. They'll also amend the time plan based on the response from the group. It's a great way to start and make sure that you're not too fast.

- transport to the start: tube is the easiest and its free with your bib. It is packed though so move to far ends of the train to get on/off.

Pens - they are dedicated by your bib that you'll get at the expo. Don't change pens....it's not nice to the other runners.

Toilets - ladies - there is a female urinal... It's ok nd the queues are always quicker than the normal loos.

- bags: agree it's Khani - but what I would do I'd put a 'nice' bag in your red VLM bag and order it correctly. The last thing you want to do is have to rummage at the end for a warm jacket. Also, turn your phone off

- meeting people: normally it's packed. Last year I arranged to meet hubby at the letters and that I'd call him when I was over the finish line so he'd know. But it still took us a long time to find each other. If yo an - get your supporters to hold an umbrella or something easily recognisable.

Transport at the end: last year it was a complete nightmare. We decided to wait a while (by drinking in chando's) but it was still packed and we couldn't find a taxi for love nor money.

- Chando's - St martins field. Head there afterwards. It's always packed but the RW/ Fetchies are always in there drinking the marathon.

- mile 17: if you've not already heard about - forumites are at mile 17- you can leave stuff at the RW stall at the expo and it'll be there for you at mile 17. You need to register first (sister bad habit has created a thread about it) so make sure that you go over there. It made a world of difference to me.

If anyone wants any other info - let me know

I've been out for a awful 13 miles.why was it bad? Every corner I seemed to turn put me in a direct headwind... Not a nice way to start the day!
03/02/2013 at 14:49
Thanks for the tips, Emmy, really useful, esp. re pacing.

NB I camp every year in the UK but never in feb!
03/02/2013 at 14:52
Hiya fast koala I admit I've camped in February but purely out of cheapness the nearest hotel was 200quid for a night and the campsite was free during winter. It wasn't too bad actually a the temperature was around 7-9'c.
03/02/2013 at 15:22
Ok so you don't think I am completely mad, mine along with 2 Scout groups from lodgemoor join up and go on what we call freezer camp. We will have about 65 Scouts on site so around 90 of us in total.

Just been for my 20 mile run avg pace 9.03. Quite happy with that as again for half of it the wind was again horrid Also remembered why people say that 20 is half way in a mara
03/02/2013 at 16:49

When i was done for VLM supporting a mate i was at fetchpoint and managed to be there at the finish before he got there despite going there by foot albeit running speed

We went for the far more sensible approach of meeting at the McDonalds just off of whitehall

03/02/2013 at 17:21

I also went to the "meet the experts" - @Khani, you should have mentioned you were going, we could have met up. - I mentioned it in this thread a few days ago.

I failed a geography test today - went out for an 18 mile run and ended up doing 20,  average pace was 10mm, but the last 2 miles were really hard - uphill and wiped me out!! - about 30% was off-road though, wet and boggy grass along the Thames in Windsor, then through the Great Park - windy too  - then onto Ascot, Sunnngdale, Sunninghill - some awesome house around there  3hrs 20mins running  - blimey, coudn't run 20 minutes 9 months ago 

@S3200 - nice pace - don't think I could've got close to 9 mm

That's the furthest I've ever run and it reminded me of how tough the marathon will be, still got time of course. I'll do a shorter LSR next week and have the Portsmouth half in 2 weeks. - some great runs for other Shadies too - nice work 

03/02/2013 at 17:55

16 mile LSR today. the first run after turning my ankle playing squash last monday and only the second since the start of the snow about 3 weeks ago. 

first 14 miles were fine, the last couple were a bit more hard.

i think that gels with caffine in might not be for me. i tried them for the first time today and i ended up with a pounding headache, stomach cramps and an emergency stop at a local pub i happened to be passing. if i'd been out in the sticks it could have been pretty grim....

03/02/2013 at 20:00
Rattler sorry mate. I have avoided the thread while trying to resist running due to an injury. Would have loved to have met up. Did you stay for the q&a? I was the guy who asked the question about why I was so much quicker in the cold
03/02/2013 at 20:01
Emmy great info. What kinds of thing would people leave for mile 17 pickup?
03/02/2013 at 20:33

I didn't stay for the Q&A - I had to get away, but I thought it was really useful and as you say we're lucky to have Shades keeping us focused and on the straight and narrow.

The nutrional presentation was really good, as were the morning sessions with the various Directors telling is what would be happening on the day. I love all this info, I'm like a sponge and want to try to take it all in.

The Yellings presentation was interesting as I felt they were almost covering training if you started now - whereas we've been looking at plans for the last 3-4 months 

Maybe the Golden Bond target audience are just a "get me round" bunch and we've got Shades plan to sort us out? 

04/02/2013 at 07:23

Thanks guys for all your nice comments

However, save your praise until I've got you over that finish line.   I have a standard advice sheet for your last week and race day which I paste on here periodically, I'll try and get time to paste it today

Khanivore - that's great news on your 8 mile run.   Now I don't think we should commit to paper (or laptop!) the remainder of your training to race day, I think we need to play it by ear and just use your own judgement re your leg/back and take each day at a time.

Don't run every day, only every other day giving your body plenty of time to recover from each run.   When you ahve your massage quiz her about that muscle and what stretches ec you can do to get it to heal.

Slowkoala - yes numbers you collect at Expo although you should already know what start you're at, green or blue are the best.

LOL at using the mens loos, funny business this marathon training, you do things you'd never dreamt of!

Emmy - I had the same with the headwind, it's so annoying and tiring.

and how many marathons have you already entered for 2013?

S3200H - great running.   I'm not of the opinion that 20 miles is halfway in a marathon.  

Rattler - LOL at the extra 2 miles and a tough course too.

Sofaboy - good news on the ankle.   I don't like gels at all, never use them.

04/02/2013 at 07:37
Shades, are green and blue starts for the GFA runners, elites and celebs? Not been told my start but as I just have a ballot place I'll be running with the masses won't I? Is this the red start?
04/02/2013 at 07:59
Khanivore wrote (see)
Emmy great info. What kinds of thing would people leave for mile 17 pickup?

There's been everything. I left two gels (for the rest of the distance), an electrolyte drink in a small 100ml bottle. I've seen beers, champagne, jelly babies, chocolate being left there.

Last year - I left them gin and tonic to say thank you

SHADES wrote (see)

Thanks guys for all your nice comments

However, save your praise until I've got you over that finish line.   I have a standard advice sheet for your last week and race day which I paste on here periodically, I'll try and get time to paste it today

LOL at using the mens loos, funny business this marathon training, you do things you'd never dreamt of!

Emmy - I had the same with the headwind, it's so annoying and tiring.

and how many marathons have you already entered for 2013?

Morning Shades

I agree with Khani - We're very lucky to have you. I credit you for my craziness I've seen a lot of others on start lines that have no idea. I still have your noddy's guide that I read before each race.

As for men's loos.... since i've been running more trail races - i tend to use nature instead of provided facilities.

OK... in 2013 - i''ve gone a little crazy Hubby has given me the pass to run this weekend BUT he's playing a guilt trip on me. It's my Birthday (so my excuse is: I can do what i want)... but his grandparents have organised a dinner that oh so happens to fall on my birthday (coincidence? I think not). So he's laying the guilt that i'd rather run a marathon than see them.

04/02/2013 at 08:20

Morning!
Emmy - I thought you were doing 'The Quad'?  Must of got that wrong!

Shades Noddy guide is brilliant. I sometimes wish I was doing my first marathon again, all that nervous excitment!
Really looking forward to hearing the outcome of all your marathons

04/02/2013 at 08:20

Slowkoala - you used to be able to tell which start you are at by your race number, I haven't done VLM for a few years so not sure that still stands.  I've only ever run with ballot places and have started at the blue start once and the red start 3 times.

Emmy - nicely sidestepped my question of how many for 2013....or do you not want to say.  

You've got your ultra double this weekend, haven't you?   I've never done an ultra double.  I've done an ultra then a marathon, that's the closest I've got.

04/02/2013 at 08:21

Waves at VR  Supertone and Kettlecise tonight for me, how about you?

04/02/2013 at 08:23

Here is my pic from the 2010 VLM red pen start line....

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/465898/gallery/start_line.jpg?width=350

It looks worse that it really was. I was probably about half way in the pen, and took about 10 mins shuffling to get to the start line.  Some people started trying to run from back there, and I'm still not really sure why.

I don't know how my wife did it, but I managed to see her twice.  Once at the 13 mile mark (which was planned).  This is a good section for spectators as you see the runners twice and it is a relatively quiet area compared with near The Mall etc.  I stopped, had a little hug (and nabbed her Snickers bar) and shuffled off.  I then saw her with 400m to go; she had some how managed to get a spot near the finish!  I just remember stopping and whispering "I can't believe it.....I'm going to finish!", and I did shed a little tear I'm afraid.

One tip from me...get your name or nickname on your running shirt.  The spectators shouting "Go Big- G!!" helped me along a lot.  

In hindsight, I shouldn't have ran.  I've just had a look back at the pics, and I had both knees strapped.  If I hadn't been doing it for charity, I would have DNS'd.  It's for that reason that I wouldn't run for charity again...the fund raising just added extra pressure on what was for me an already stressful experience.

04/02/2013 at 08:24

Shades - are you able to you post your Noddy's guide?

04/02/2013 at 08:28
Valley Runner wrote (see)

Morning!
Emmy - I thought you were doing 'The Quad'?  Must of got that wrong!

Shades Noddy guide is brilliant. I sometimes wish I was doing my first marathon again, all that nervous excitment!
Really looking forward to hearing the outcome of all your marathons

I've been on the reserve list. There was maybe the only possibility for one day maximum. I agree with you, VR - I'm really excited to see how everyone does on their first marathon. I remember being petrified!

SHADES wrote (see)

Slowkoala - you used to be able to tell which start you are at by your race number, I haven't done VLM for a few years so not sure that still stands.  I've only ever run with ballot places and have started at the blue start once and the red start 3 times.

Emmy - nicely sidestepped my question of how many for 2013....or do you not want to say.  

You've got your ultra double this weekend, haven't you?   I've never done an ultra double.  I've done an ultra then a marathon, that's the closest I've got.

I was also in the Blue Start (with the other ballots).... Um... if you want my honest answer-i'm not sure how many ive got this year 

So far - off the top of my head:

10th Feb: Genk
17th Feb: London 50km
24th Feb: Malta
6th April: Paris
21st April: Antwerp
3rd May: Bewl marathon
4th May: Richmond marathon (i got my place!)
5th May: Milton Keynes
Then it's Luxembourg, Giants Head, 

The London 50km is next weekend on Sunday so i'm nervously anxious about it as it's my first over marathon distance.

04/02/2013 at 08:39

Shades - I'm doing the Pilates course which is on the Monday at 6pm but I will see you at Supertone

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.