Shades Marathon Training

58,961 to 58,980 of 67,860 messages
04/02/2013 at 22:37
@ VL sorry, but lots of people wearing something doesn't stop the wearer looking like a Wally. Spend a Friday evening in Shoreditch and you'll see exactly what i mean!

But I'm quite comfortable with the fact that running tights and compression socks make me look like a bit of a tit.
05/02/2013 at 06:44
I bet you don't Sofaboy. If I saw you running towards me I would not think that!

Morning Shadies
05/02/2013 at 07:17

Slowkoala - if you want to hit the carbs it's not a bad idea to trial your pre marathon routine re food and drinks for the few days before your half marathon.   It's not necessary on my plans to carbo load or taper for a half marathon but will do no harm.

Compression kit is brilliant, I did run on Sunday with a long sleved compression top and was very impressed, I use compression tights all the time.   Have never used the socks.

A bit tired today but still had a decent run

05/02/2013 at 07:52

morning all.. body not playing ball, knee still a bit sore and just generally run down and not sleeping,  Must mean a trip home to Ireland is due, only 3 weeks to go! Think i will rest again today and see the lay of the land tomorrow

05/02/2013 at 08:19

I use compression calf guards and socks and they rock and really help with recovery (in my mind)

5 miles this morning and it was hailstones all the way

05/02/2013 at 08:59

Morning everyone!

Enjoying reading the London reports - getting excited for you all!  How does a 'normal' person (I mean not club member or charity runner) gain a London entry? Obviously not this year but it sounds amazing and something I would like to take part in one day.

S3200H - I hope you have recovered from your accident and have had no after effects.

Slowkoala - Thank you for your concern re my dog. His one eye poses him no problem. Only thing to remember is to NEVER under ANY circumstances run on his left hand side or he will trip you up. On the occasion in question we were dazzled by car headlights .. ergo hole in leggings

Khani - good to hear you are recovering and running again. I am NO expert but you already have loads of miles under your belt and we still have 2 months or so to go until your marathon so in my opinion all is far from lost!

Lucy - I know absolutely nothing but have picked up loads of useful information and tips from this thread. Keep going and good luck with your running!

Shades - brilliant guide, thank you. Wish I'd had this in October! Found marathon pacing info interesting. As I STILL haven't got a garmin  am finding pacing v difficult. At moment I am (hang on everyone, about to get technical here) running a warm up couple of km, then middle km steady normal pace, then trying to accelerate for last few km. Is this ok?

Training going well. Had good 30k run Sunday on new route. Had put in a couple of hills, one of which was sooo steep am sure would have been quicker if I'd walked it but grimly continued to jog up. At one point was convinced a chicken in the next field was going to overtake me - does wonders for self motivation.....all that pep talk about "imagine yourself crossing the finishing line" goes right out the window when a poxy chicken is streaking past you.

Bootsie - hope you are soon feeling better, sounds like you need a good rest.

What is a compression sock? ..or top? Am mystified.

05/02/2013 at 09:13

tight clothes that improve circulation and stop bits wobbling that shouldn't. my socks cured my very achy calfs, although whether it was the improved circulation or the dampening of vibration through the muscle, who knows.

if you're not a club runner, charity runner or indecently rapid for your age then enter the ballot and cross your fingers. one of my friends got in on his first attempt this year, but i know people who've failed 6 or 7 times.

05/02/2013 at 09:19

Thanks mamafox feel fine now, just a painful shoulder

""Compression Technology - Increase blood circulation, reduces fatigue, minimizes swelling and speeds up recovery meaning you are likely to be ready for next day's training.:""

Had a load of snow again this morning, had to ditch the car and walk home 

05/02/2013 at 09:29

mamafox - as Sofaboy says, you'll need to enter the ballot (or get a Good For Age place....).  The ballot usually opens in April and you'll get to find out if you have a place in September/October time.

Regarding getting overtaken by things, it also happens on the VLM.  I was overtaken by a man wearing a giraffe outfit.  I later found out that he was going for the world record for a person to complete a marathon wearing the tallest outfit.  The costume was very, very tall.  I think he needed help getting under bridges etc, because he couldn't easily navigate bending over! I also got overtaken by someone who was running with a fridge on his back 

There is a whole sub-culture of quick people who go for records dressed as a particular character/object.  A guy in my club has the world record for running a marathon dressed as a Roman Soldier (sub 3-hours!).

Actually, I've just Googled and here are the world records that went at 2012 VLM

Edited: 05/02/2013 at 09:35
05/02/2013 at 09:34

if you do enter the ballot, be on the ball. it filled up in a few hours this year f i remember correctly.

05/02/2013 at 09:43

Mamafox - thanks for the encouragement Always appreciated!

I went for the ballot couple of years ago and managed to actually get my name down for it - believe me that is a big win in itself! You really do need to be on the ball as Sofaboy says. The applications fill up stupidly fast. Unfortunately for me I still didn't get a place that year and so this time I went for a charity spot. Never again - having to raise so much money is a big burden and I suspect I will end up paying most of it

My cough has not completely gone it seems. Chest is still a little grumbly. I guess that explains why my heart rate was so high on my last run. Not enough to stop me running mind!

Today I need to pick my car up from the garage. The garage just happens to be 6 miles away from my house, about the distance i wanted to run! I shall plod down there later today  

05/02/2013 at 09:45

Thanks for the info everyone.. stupid question #548....if compression socks help recovery are you supposed to wear them after a run too?

As for the VLM ballot, how does it work? Are you told the date and time it starts and then have to keep trying to enter until you are accepted?

Big_G - lol re overtaken by man with fridge on back.. feel much better now!

05/02/2013 at 09:46

I must admit, all of this talk of the VLM is exciting!  I think it's one of the best televised sporting events we have, if not the best!  The elite runners, the celebs, the masses, the people running for a personal cause, the fanstastic city that is London etc etc.  It's got everything really!

05/02/2013 at 09:53

Haaaaaa!!!!!!!!  Thank you for that link Big_G,  Brilliant!  "Fastest marathon dressed as a vegetable" Love it!!!

05/02/2013 at 09:54

about a week after the race they open the ballot. if you enter your details while there are still places, you're in. if you don't, you're not.

personally i think they should leave it a while before opening the ballot. so soon after the race, how many people enter on a bit of a whim because they think it looks like a cool thing to do?

05/02/2013 at 09:55

Mama - i wear compression socks because I read they stop muscle vibration which keeps them fresher and less weary. If I had a second pair i would also wear them after the run so they help recovery. Some people wear compression tights overnight after a solid training session to help recovery. I think compression gear is much more commonly used in the triathlon world but I a may be wrong on that. 

Re the ballot for VLM, yes I found out when they would open up the website and then hit it like mad. It was a nightmare because the page would not load for me etc. It is worth persisting though because if you wait until the morning all the applications will be filled up

05/02/2013 at 10:01

mamofox - if you use facebook, keep an eye on the Virgin London Marathon group as that tells you the date/time for the ballot to open.  Also, keep an eye on their website as the details will be announced there.

They usually open the ballot a few days after the marathon has completed.  Don't pin your hopes on it though.....it's very oversubscribed.  Other than Good For Age, the only other way to guarantee an entry is to run for a charity, which personally I wouldn't do again (too stressful) although obviously lots of people do - I think the majority of people who do the event are running for a charity.

05/02/2013 at 10:02

I have a terrible habit. I start a project and seldom complete it. If I do complete it I move on to something else unrelated afterwards. My attic is full of half built things. I do not want that to happen with running. Cycling is a very strong draw for me but I want to force myself to keep my running up after the marathon (in addition to cycling). With that in mind I want to enter another marathon later in the year. 

What October marathon can you recommend? Abingdon seems to be one option. Liverpool another. Abingdon I can just drive to on the morning. Liverpool I would have to book accomodation etc.

05/02/2013 at 10:03

big_g is 100% right about the charity places being stressful. You can find good for age required times here:http://www.virginlondonmarathon.com/marathon-centre/enter-virgin-london-marathon/good-for-age-entries/

My eyes water every time I read them.

Edited: 05/02/2013 at 10:04
05/02/2013 at 10:06

Worst bit is having to wait until end Of Sept/Early Oct to know if you're in or not, waiting for that damn magazine!! , taken me 5 years of trying to get in on the old 5 rejections then you're in system, they no longer do this so it's a lottery.

Makes London more special because of how hard it is to get a place, can do most other marathons whenever.

Chickened out of an 8 miler this morning, 5am alarm went off and snow/hail/sleet/rain going in all directions, just wasn't up for it at 5am. Will head out tonight or in the morning.

May have to try wearing the compression socks for a run, suffer from achy calfs a bit as well.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.