Shades Marathon Training

58,981 to 59,000 of 65,084 messages
05/02/2013 at 10:03

big_g is 100% right about the charity places being stressful. You can find good for age required times here:http://www.virginlondonmarathon.com/marathon-centre/enter-virgin-london-marathon/good-for-age-entries/

My eyes water every time I read them.

Edited: 05/02/2013 at 10:04
05/02/2013 at 10:06

Worst bit is having to wait until end Of Sept/Early Oct to know if you're in or not, waiting for that damn magazine!! , taken me 5 years of trying to get in on the old 5 rejections then you're in system, they no longer do this so it's a lottery.

Makes London more special because of how hard it is to get a place, can do most other marathons whenever.

Chickened out of an 8 miler this morning, 5am alarm went off and snow/hail/sleet/rain going in all directions, just wasn't up for it at 5am. Will head out tonight or in the morning.

May have to try wearing the compression socks for a run, suffer from achy calfs a bit as well.

05/02/2013 at 10:11

My mate got a GFA place on his first attempt.  He started running, found he was pretty good at it and a year later went and got a GFA time in Paris.  So this year, he is running Paris (he is hoping for sub 3) and then two weeks later running London as a GFA.  Unbelieveable....having never run before, within 12 months he managed something many of us can only dream of!

05/02/2013 at 10:13

Big_G - that's just mad. Give him a clip round the ear for me please I bet he could have been professional if he had started at the right age - seems he has the genes for it.

05/02/2013 at 10:17

Big_G - you need to seriously consider your choice of friends!

Khani - thank you for that link... Ballot it is then!

05/02/2013 at 10:29

Emmy - is the thames meander a good second marathon? 

05/02/2013 at 11:23
Khanivore wrote (see)

I have a terrible habit. I start a project and seldom complete it. If I do complete it I move on to something else unrelated afterwards. My attic is full of half built things. I do not want that to happen with running. Cycling is a very strong draw for me but I want to force myself to keep my running up after the marathon (in addition to cycling). With that in mind I want to enter another marathon later in the year. 

What October marathon can you recommend? Abingdon seems to be one option. Liverpool another. Abingdon I can just drive to on the morning. Liverpool I would have to book accomodation etc.

In October - there are some great marathons. Abingdon is a great one but will sell out really quickly. I think Mowser has done it? Cologne/Frankfurt/Amsterdam are also very fast and decent races for Brits. What sort of area are you looking for? I've heard Liverpool is quite good as well (but that's coming from someone who lives there!)

Khanivore wrote (see)

Emmy - is the thames meander a good second marathon? 

I loved Thames Meander. Out and back course - one biatch of a hill at the end (mile 24).The route takes in the root of the Royal Parks Ultra 50km.... so you get the same course for 1/4 of the money! Very friendly field of competitors and the RD's are absolute gems. They also organise the Bewl marathon in May (which i'll also be doing). They're a couple who have run Western States and a lot of other crazy distance races. I'll probably be going back this year to Thames Meander as well. 

05/02/2013 at 11:39
We are toying with idea of going away at Easter, it would mean I would miss blackpool mara, I am therefore thinking I could do Manchester on the 28th April. The problem is I want to run the Sheffield half on the 12th May, do you think it would be possible?
05/02/2013 at 11:55

Abingdon would have been perfect but i believe it has sold out Online entries are no longer available.

Liverpool requires accomodation and I think I would rather avoid that if possible. 

I realised that the Thames Meander is only two weeks after Ramadan so is probably not a good idea

Back to the drawing board. 

05/02/2013 at 12:00

Emmy - have you done this? If so just how hard is it?

http://www.trionium.com/greensand/

05/02/2013 at 12:05
Khanivore wrote (see)

Abingdon would have been perfect but i believe it has sold out Online entries are no longer available.

Liverpool requires accomodation and I think I would rather avoid that if possible. 

I realised that the Thames Meander is only two weeks after Ramadan so is probably not a good idea

Back to the drawing board. 

Does this link work?

You could choose from:

05/02/2013 at 12:06
Khanivore wrote (see)

Emmy - have you done this? If so just how hard is it?

http://www.trionium.com/greensand/

Haha! We had the same idea. Nope, never heard of it before googling it. Maybe Shades or VR would have a better idea.

Unfortunately - my October is always booked up around that time by Cologne so I never get the chance to do anything similar.

05/02/2013 at 12:11

Dorking is only 20 mins from me. Greensands is going to be rock hard. I just looked at some photo's and some race reports. It's a very small run. There will not be supporters. Tonnes of hills. The exact opposite of VLM. It could be a good run for me to do so i can taste both ends of the spectrum and see what i like re trail vs road. I guess doing somethign like this would also help me greatly in preparation for a 2014 spring marathon too right? I have my sights set on Brighton.

05/02/2013 at 13:00

just to show the other side of the charity place thing, i'm doing the VLM for a local cancer charity and whilst i was nervous about the amount i need to raise at the start (and still have occasional panic moments), i've found the fund raising to be really motivating. so many people have been hugely supportive. i'm doing a quiz and raffle at my local and am in the process of getting prizes from local companies. literally every place i've enquired at has said yes. one of my mates is even offering himself as a prize for a day. i stave off boredom on long runs by coming up with fund raising ideas, questions for my quiz etc, and when the going gets tough i can just tell myself why i'm doing it.

i think the important thing is that if you're going to run for a charity, it really needs to be something you care about or you just won't put in the effort. and don't get me started on the immoral b@stards who get a charity place and then just ignore them.

05/02/2013 at 13:16

Mamafox - any chance you could get a Garmin soon, they not essential of course but very useful

Khanivore - Abingdon always fills quickly, very good race organsiation but dire course, so very dull.   Unfortunately it's currently my PB course and I so want to get a PB somewhere else and remove Abingdon from my record book!

How about New Forest in September http://www.newforestmarathon.org.uk/ or is that date not suitable?   Leicester is mid October and less distance for you to travel, lovely course.

I don't do trail marathons so can't comment on Greensands etc, not sure if VR has done it.

Re VLM - I've entered about 6 times and got a ballot place 4 times.   I don't enter it now as I don't want to do it.

S3200H - you should be fine for a half 2 weeks after your marathon, you might even get a PB

05/02/2013 at 14:01

Thx Shades - some good options there ! I will explore them.

Just did my 5 mile run. Felt GREAT! No back pain. NONE. Still coughing a bit but it's definitely on it's way out. Totally messed up the pace and ran too fast. Must slow down. 

In other news, one of the twins has spent the last 2.5 days vomitting repeatedly. On the first night she threw up 10 times between midnight and 7am! No sleep for me but the poor thing is being so brave given she is only 3. Well guess what just happened in the last hour. Yup - the other twin has started throwing up. It's only a matter of time before I get it and then the marathon training is going to get REALLY fun How brave they are both being shames me in to not feeling sorry for myself. They are awesome!

05/02/2013 at 14:05

S3200H - I'm booked in for Chester Half which is 3 weeks after London, reckon it's perfect timing for a PB, not to sure what to do inbetween yet but will see how I feel after London

Snowdon\Chester\Liverpool all October , did Liverpool last year (my local one) and really enjoyed it. Not an easy flat one though, so depends what you're after.

Heard lots of good things about Abingdon, keep an eye on the Events page on here as a few places usually turn up.

In 6 attempts you've got 4 entries!, most people are more like 1 in 4 success rate.

05/02/2013 at 15:16
Thanks for that will book Manchester then
Cheers
Steve
05/02/2013 at 16:02
Hi Shades.

I am following the P&D 55 mile plan. With Manchester being 3 weeks later would you recommend I go back 3 weeks in the program, or repeat this weeks training for the next 3 weeks
05/02/2013 at 17:33

Khanivore - oh your poor twins, hopefully it's just a 24 hour bug

My running club's website is good for event listings http://www.100marathonclub.org.uk/new/events/uk_marathon_list.shtml

KingKenny - the last time I ran London was still postal entry and I deliberately posted my entry after the closing date, as I didn't want to do it, and I still got in

S3200H - I'd carry on as you are and not repeat any weeks until nearer race day, you may need some of that extra time if you get a niggle or a cold.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.