Shades Marathon Training

59,001 to 59,020 of 66,780 messages
05/02/2013 at 18:21

I have entered the VLM ballot 4 times and only got in once... there are 150 000 ballot places and they are snapped up in 17 hrs or so..next year i hope to get a good for age entry but that meant taking 15 min off my PB so its going to be really tough...i was hoping to do my first sub 3 in london as it is my home marathon but i am hoping to achieve that in edinburgh....anyone else running edinburgh this year?

as for compression kit i dont have any trouble with my lower legs, its my thighs that suffer after 17 miles or so they start to ache, might be due to lack of prep so not sure what to try!!

06/02/2013 at 07:16

One of the key factors to getting in London through the ballot is your predicted finishing time, as they have restrictions on the number of runners they can handle at any one time at the finish.   Most runners put a finishing time of 3.30 to 4.30 so that lessens your chances if you put that time too.

Iain - is it your quads or hamstrings that start to hurt in the latter stages of the marathon?

Wild and windy here today

06/02/2013 at 08:03
Shades what finish time were you putting down?
06/02/2013 at 08:17

Khanivore - probably up to 5.30, I can't remember.   It doesn't matter as you're chipped over the start line anyway.

I love all the hype about getting into London, but there are a lot of better marathons to do.  But London is a good marathon to do as your first.

06/02/2013 at 08:20

I don't think it matters too much. I put 5 hrs and it still took me 5 times of being rejected!

06/02/2013 at 08:40

monring all.. its got very cold here! No running since sunday as knee is still a bit sore so will try the treadmill again this evening and see how I go!

06/02/2013 at 08:43
Shades what are your top 10 UK marathons in order then?

Bootsie hope the knee feels better.

I'm resisting the temptation to go running today as I ran yesterday. Not easy!
06/02/2013 at 09:04

two 6 milers, yesterday evening and again this morning, to and from my friends' in Lewisham. 8:47 pace there and 8:46 back. consistent if not particularly fast. although i did have a pretty hefty pack on my back.

they don't really fit into my schedule, but hey ho, got to get what you can. i'd say it's better to do a run of some kind rather than not run at all because you can't fit in exacly what's on your plan for that day.

06/02/2013 at 10:02

Having done the 20 miler on Sunday, my legs have felt it for the last couple of days and I have a pain on the top of my left foot. I had that all day Monday and for part of yesterday, I've read that this might be that the laces could be too tight, didn't think they were particularly, but will try them a little looser for the weekends LSR.

But no pain now, so will do a tempo run today after not running for 2 days and feel really up for it.

"listen to your body" someone said - makes a lot of sense.

Tim

06/02/2013 at 11:22
10 miles this morning with last 5 miles at marathon pace. Quite a challenging session and kept thinking maybe I should make the marathon pace a bit slower as really can't see how I could sustain that for 13 miles let alone 26. Think it's too long since I've done a proper race.

Bootsie, hope the knee is better tonight.

Rattler, I've found that the laces can make a big difference. When I started running in a bigger size, the sales assistant showed me how to use the extra lace hole that some shoes have round the side and that helped, although I don't use it anymore.

Khanivore, well done for resting. Hope you are still bug free!
06/02/2013 at 11:39

me too shades.. TBH feeling rubbish.. ears and throat are very sore etc.. so just generally very run down so not sure the rest isn't a good thing at the moment.. gentle exercise tonight and see how it goes

well done Shades on a good run this morning

06/02/2013 at 11:51

Easy 5 for me this morning, Have footy tonight & then will do the 8mile MWLR either tomorrow eve or Friday morning.

Rattler - Have a look here , I use the last one a fair bit, esp for muddy runs but now use most of the time on the road shoes as well. Think it's the one Slowkoala means as well.

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/custom-tie-your-running-shoes

Khanivore - Hope the Twins are better, hard to stay out of the way really!. Eat well & wash hands often, fingers crossed you don't get it. Quite a few at work have nasty coughs at the moment which is making me paranoid.

Every year for London I put 4hr predicted down & changed it last year to 3:30 and got in! make of that what you will. Does mean I may be in a fast pen so will head to the back of it if that's the case will see what pen I get.

06/02/2013 at 11:54

I wonder if they have limits on the numbers in each pen?

06/02/2013 at 12:06

I'm sticking 2:15 down for next year. At least I can get the Kenyan runners autographs

06/02/2013 at 12:10
Great strategy Khanivore! Not a bad idea though as you are able to change the time. I put down 4.5 hours when I applied but hope to get a faster time. I called them up in November and they revised it for me.

BTW, only one second difference in pace today between Garmin and Nike!
06/02/2013 at 12:11

Is that Nike on your phone you are comparing with Garmin?

06/02/2013 at 12:18
Yep, I got a Garmin 210 but was finding a difference in pace of around 6-13 secs per mile. Nike always makes me faster. I run with both now but don't look at the Garmin until I come back. I am hooked on the Nike voice that tells me my pace every 0.25 miles and use the phone for music anyway. For me, it doesn't really matter if Nike is a bit off as it's all relative. I think if I just used the Garmin I would be tempted to go too fast, to try and replicate the paces I was getting on Nike.
06/02/2013 at 12:20

Will you carry your phone during the marathon, wear your 210, or take both?

06/02/2013 at 13:07
Will probably go for belt and braces approach and take both! That way I can have music if I want but have the garmin as back up in case phone battery doesn't last.
06/02/2013 at 13:19

Ok cool - i was just going to day that you should probably run at the pace indicated by the device that will be your primary pace device on the marathon. For me that is the Garmin 210.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.