Shades Marathon Training

59,021 to 59,040 of 65,072 messages
06/02/2013 at 13:07
Will probably go for belt and braces approach and take both! That way I can have music if I want but have the garmin as back up in case phone battery doesn't last.
06/02/2013 at 13:19

Ok cool - i was just going to day that you should probably run at the pace indicated by the device that will be your primary pace device on the marathon. For me that is the Garmin 210.

06/02/2013 at 13:34

Khanivore - I will list my top 10 UK marathons when I have time

Slowkoala - most races ban runners from wearing headphones now and will disqualify you for such, not sure it applies to VLM.   Unlikely you would be able to hear your phone without an earphone, the noise at VLM is horrendous, I usually wear ear plugs as the whistles and constant shouting are awful.

06/02/2013 at 13:38

Shades - earplugs is a GREAT tip! You should add that to the noddy guide. I will definitely get some. In fact a tv presenter who did a little talk at the marathon meet the experts session I went to said the same thing but i did not think about getting earplugs for it. She said 4 hours of hearing your name being screamed at you gets old really quick and can wind you up (im paraphrasing her). 

I really do look forward to your top 10 list!!! I am going to start knocking them off one by one in the coming years. I really want to do Amsterdam this year. However, I would feel too guilty going wtihout my family and to take them makes it a very expensive trip. Liverpool could be done on a better budget but i don't know if I can be bothered - I mean it's more than likely going to be raining. I think I may try to do Greensands. It is only 250 runners at most I think - last year only 125 did the full marathon. Not sure how i feel about that. 

06/02/2013 at 13:53
Shades, I think headphones are OK for VLM but I guess I probably won't hear much! I know I should try some long runs without music.
06/02/2013 at 14:02

@Khani - LOL - as it was Sophie Raworth being interviewed at Meet the Experts, I too would be shouting her name in the VLM  - she managed sub 4 hour after her 6.5 hour "challenge" the year before - which is impressive. 

I doubt I'll have the "shouting my name" challnege that she has at VLM though 

And I'll need all the support I can get 

06/02/2013 at 14:05
SHADES wrote (see)

Khanivore - I will list my top 10 UK marathons when I have time

Slowkoala - most races ban runners from wearing headphones now and will disqualify you for such, not sure it applies to VLM.   Unlikely you would be able to hear your phone without an earphone, the noise at VLM is horrendous, I usually wear ear plugs as the whistles and constant shouting are awful.

I really enjoyed it...  It made me feel like a superstar to hear people shouting my name.

I'd also like to see your top 10, Shades I really hope that we can meet at one of them, soon!

Khanivore wrote (see)

Shades - earplugs is a GREAT tip! You should add that to the noddy guide. I will definitely get some. In fact a tv presenter who did a little talk at the marathon meet the experts session I went to said the same thing but i did not think about getting earplugs for it. She said 4 hours of hearing your name being screamed at you gets old really quick and can wind you up (im paraphrasing her). 

I really do look forward to your top 10 list!!! I am going to start knocking them off one by one in the coming years. I really want to do Amsterdam this year. However, I would feel too guilty going wtihout my family and to take them makes it a very expensive trip. Liverpool could be done on a better budget but i don't know if I can be bothered - I mean it's more than likely going to be raining. I think I may try to do Greensands. It is only 250 runners at most I think - last year only 125 did the full marathon. Not sure how i feel about that. 

Amsterdam can be done *really* cheaply. There are lots of cheap hostels and you can get a coach over from london for 10GBP return. If you want to -it's not hard to do it on the cheap. Amsterdam may not have rain but the wind is normally the biggest issue.

Slowkoala wrote (see)
Shades, I think headphones are OK for VLM but I guess I probably won't hear much! I know I should try some long runs without music.

I had my ipod on and I turned it off at mile 5. The noise of people and the banter from other runners was a lot more fun than David Guetta!

One tip I remember hearing on the train to VLM may be folklore or real:

• do not accept unwrapped sweets from children. Celebrations/Starburst are fine but no jellybabies/jelly beans. In 2011 there were some sweets spiked with laxatives and when consumed by the runners meant a few of them 'did a paula' later down the road.
Edited: 06/02/2013 at 14:06
06/02/2013 at 14:22

Emmy - I can't take the twins on the coach and to the hostels and I will feel guilty if i go alone. It doesn't really make sense I know  

06/02/2013 at 14:24

Emmy thats terrible!! Can't believe people would do that!

06/02/2013 at 14:41

Bootsie - i've heard its quite common and the 'big city' marathons. I'm not sure how true it was (it's never happened to me) but i've seen a few people 'caught short' during the VLM.

06/02/2013 at 15:35

@shades - although my hamstrings get very tight there is no pain its my quads that feel like they are on fire. someone has said to its lack of prep and its my muscles telling me to stop,  thats what killed my final 7 miles during edinburgh and forced me to walk/run them..

@Khanivore - i like the way you think as far as getting the autographs very good thinking..

@Sofaboy - you ran 6 miles to your mate in lewisham, does that mean you are south of the river? Reason I ask is i am trying to find a training partner  for regular runs as i am finding it really tough to get motivated even to just get out the door..and i stay in lewisham.

06/02/2013 at 17:34

someone give me a kick out the door...weather looks dreadful... grrr lol

06/02/2013 at 17:36
Iain Love wrote (see)

someone give me a kick out the door...weather looks dreadful... grrr lol

Like this?

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/334358/gallery/images.jpg?width=350

06/02/2013 at 17:39

thanks emmy 

06/02/2013 at 19:22
Sorry Iain, I live in Bedfordshire but work in central London. I was just popping down to see friends for the night.
06/02/2013 at 19:35

cool no worries sofaboy (sounds like a superhero) i always believe you dont ask you dont get..

06/02/2013 at 20:45

a 5 mile tempo run tomight - felt alright. Since then I've eaten a huge cottage pie and a trifle - doh !!! 

I'm using compression socks (well just the ankle parts) and I think they work well, seem to need to be pretty tight/supportive to work though. 

06/02/2013 at 21:17
Hmmm, trifle. Dessert of kings.
06/02/2013 at 22:10
Lol! Rattler!

I ran to my club session tonight, did 5 hilly loops then ran back home with jelly legs.
Nearly 10 miles! I'm going to ache tomorrow
06/02/2013 at 22:12
Trifle is the only food in the world I won't eat. It's not the food of kings but instead a cunning ploy to use up leftovers - layering them up and soaking in booze and custard doesn't fool me.

Pilates tonight. Quite tough. I blame running for making me less supple and more stiff.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.