Shades Marathon Training

59,061 to 59,080 of 66,241 messages
07/02/2013 at 15:01
07/02/2013 at 16:02

PSC runs in Brooks. Maybe he will come along and share his experience.

07/02/2013 at 16:38

Day 1 done, had to go a little faster over the last few miles as Roger decided he'd like a sub 4:20 time with 2/3rds a lap to go. Managed it with 4:18:30 with roger around 30 secs behind.

Fuelling was chicken burger today and last night plus hot cross buns and rice pudding.

07/02/2013 at 17:06

Keith - well done! I can't believe you just ran a marathon in 4:18:30 and you have 3 more to go in 3 days! Unbelievable and epic.

07/02/2013 at 17:54

Did a nice 7.5 mile run today, mostly on quiet country lanes which is a lovely change from running up and down the A23. My garmin was nutty for the first 3 miles. Apparently I repeatedly climbed 2000 feet and my pace drifted between 18 minute miles and 6 minute miles. I just used the heart rate monitor to judge my pace and ran slower than usual to avoid injury. I did stick 2 miles of 9 min/mile in at the end which was much harder work than it should have been but I am on the road to recovery. 

Made an impulse purchase of a new pair of trainers subsequently. Waiting for the buyers remorse to kick in  Still avoiding the lurgy and the twins are well on the road to recovery. Haven't washed my hands so much EVER!

Edited: 07/02/2013 at 17:55
07/02/2013 at 20:31
Fantastic keith!
08/02/2013 at 07:17

Rattler - Sweatshop are good on the shoe returns but perhaps they aren't so good at advising runners on suitable shoes.   My local shop will spend up to an hour with each runner and very particular about their advice, I wanted a pair of Mizuno's and they refused to let me try them on!   I did later buy them on the internet but they were right, good shoes but not suitable for me for marathons.

Khanivore - it's the Brook's Ghost model that is not a high mileage shoe.   For anyone doing marathons you should always ask for a high mileage shoe. 

Slowkoala - if you're going to race in lightweight performance racing shoes then ideally you wouldn't want more than 50 miles on them.   If you're going to run in your usual training shoes they'll be fine with more miles on them.   I race in my Brooks GTS up to about 400 miles, then they get used for short training runs until about 500 miles.  I keep a spreadsheet on the mileage on each of my shoes, I have about 20 pairs on the go!

Sofaboy - you deserved that Belgian Bun,

bootsie - hope that knee is OK, is it next week your race?

Keith - well done.

Will do that marathon list today, we had no internet yesterday at work, a lot of the South West was cut off...not a good day for BT!   Then I had to collect my car and then Kettlecise

Looked at the new cars too in the showroom too

08/02/2013 at 07:42
Shades, I was recommended Brooks Ghost 5s for marathon running. Are they OK as long as I don't do too many miles in them as I find them quite comfortable?

Never tried racing flats as don't race much so tend to just wear usual trainers. Do they make a big difference?
08/02/2013 at 08:25

Slowkoala - I would imagine that as you are not a 'heavy' runner you are also very light on your feet so the Ghost should be fine for you.   I have a pair of Ghost and I've done over 200 miles in them and the cushioning is fine.  The link that bootsie put up was for the Ghost 4 so it maybe that the 5 is an improved version re mileage.

I keep my 'best' shoes for marathons and the odd long run, and do my shorter runs in my older shoes.

There's a big risk of injury with racing flats especially for marathons, shorter races not so bad, they tend to have little or no support and a lot less cushioning.   The newer training shoes are getting lighter all the time.

I wear my Ghost for short races as they're lighter than my other shoes, but for a marathon I need a shoe with a little support so I switch to GTS then

08/02/2013 at 09:14

Keith - Well done on the first one, good luck with the next 3.

Khanivore - Good to hear you're on the mend, keep it easy.

I need to go for a Gait Analysis, never had one done so could be building problems up that I don't know about yet...did run in Asics gt2160's & recently swapped to Brooks Ravenna's, like them so far but keep meaning to pop in somewhere. Will be in Chester tomorrow so might pop into Up & Running as I think they do it.

Planned 8 mwlr last night didn't happen, so I did it this morning instead. Just wasn't feeling it at all last night. Anyway better splits this week & could probably slow the first 5 down a bit more but felt nice and easy

9:32 9:30 9:30 9:30 9:29 8:56 8:50 8:51  , overall avg 9:16

15 tomorrow & that's week 8 done, weeks are flying by.

08/02/2013 at 09:27

shades, it is and had a bit of pain walking up the stairs again today so definitely the running causing it.. not sure what next steps should be.. wondering if just not training at all between now and sunday week would help? total rest?

08/02/2013 at 09:32

I'rn using the Asics GT2170s.  I seem to get on with them well, after a move from Brooks GTS 10 (or 11....I cant remember off hand).  I only moved from the Brooks because the shop didn't have them in stock when I went to replace them late in 2011.  I did buy a couple of spare pairs of the Asics recently as they were on sale on line.  I seem to get about 500-600 miles out of them, but after that they go straight in the bin as they're then no good for anything.

08/02/2013 at 09:35

Shades - Under Armour is on sale at Sports Pursuit today.

08/02/2013 at 09:55

physio appointment booked for monday

08/02/2013 at 13:27

KingKenny - the only gait analysis that I've ever done that was any use was at Exeter University.   If I do a short gait analysis test I'm classed as a neutral runner whereas I know I need some support in my shoes for over 10 miles or so.

Your training is going well

Big G - Asics 21xx series are one of my favourite shoes, am on the look out for another pair for training.  Where did you buy yours?

bootsie - rest, it seems like there's some inflammation there.

Khanivore - thanks, I just had a look.   I have one of the compression tops and they are brilliant, but can't really justify buying a 2nd!

What shoes did you buy?

List coming up..

08/02/2013 at 13:30

hate rest!

08/02/2013 at 13:35

My favourite marathons, not in strict preference

UK

North Dorset
Windermere
Loch Ness
Cornish
Snowdonia
Isle of Man
Leicester
Lochaber
Langdale
Belfast

Non UK + ultras

Dingle Ultra
Dartmoor Discovery
Portumna Ultra
Connemara Ultra/Marathon
Dublin
Cork
Longford Ultra
Florence
Newry
Boston 6/12 hour (that's Boston in Lincs!)

08/02/2013 at 13:40

I had my gait analysed at sweatshop and they said i should get a pair of neutral shoes as i slightly under pronate.... went home and from the first steps the shoe felt wrong so i went back and asked for a shoe with a slight bit of cusioning generaly used for over pronaters. got a pair of asics gel 1170's and they feel perfect for my feet so a gait analysis isnt always the best way of choosing shoes.. That reminds me i better get a new pair as these ones have about 200 miles on them and i am not sure they will last till my marathon..

08/02/2013 at 13:41

one day i will do the dingle ultra

08/02/2013 at 13:43

Hang on in there Bootsie!

Thanks for link Khani. Stuff I wanted was XS!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.